Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The older you'll get... the more minimal the tool

windson · 105 · 9135

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: The older you'll get... the more minimal the tool
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 04:28:47 AM
Yep kinda agree with the premise of this thread - And thanks to the many and interesting contributors here  :tu:

It's great to just carry what you really need, not just for a typical day - But for most days
For instance - I rarely need all the other great tools on a 3+ layer SAK - never mind a pliers based tool

I have certainly down sized from my beloved Vic Huntsman (4L) to a Wenger Traveller (≡ Vic Climber) recently for EDC.
However I cannot imagine not carrying scissors
So to be honest I could almost make do with a Classic or Rambler - But I do like to cut up apples with my SAK - and the Classic is just a bit small for that.

However at weekends and backpacking, hiking etc - I would normally carry something larger (eg Vic Ranger)

However this really made me smile Aloha - And I think sums many of us up pretty well ...

I get the minimalist mentality however NEED is not the idea for me.  I "like" to have or it's "nice" to have are my feelings when choosing a pocket tool. 
I think you are saying "Who cares what you need  ??? .... Carry what you like / feels good !" !!  >:D  :D

And I definitely agree with this ...

In my eyes, a Swiss Army knife is supposed to be able to do anything, and a tool with only one blade ENTIRELY defeats the purpose of the Swiss Army Knife

I would always carry a two plus  layer SAK
- And I never carry dedicated folders, or slip joints, fixed blades etc  etc
The SAK can fulfil all my needs - It is just a question of how many layers  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 06:15:32 AM
I'm pushing the big 50, and I find myself more often than not carrying the Minichamp or one of the Classics and leaving the bigger guys at home for EDC.  I find that I just don't need anything more for most of my daily jobs.  I pack a Leatherman for work, but even then I don't use alot of the options available from those tools. 
Barry

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:44 PM
I'm pushing the big 50, and I find myself more often than not carrying the Minichamp or one of the Classics and leaving the bigger guys at home for EDC.  I find that I just don't need anything more for most of my daily jobs.  I pack a Leatherman for work, but even then I don't use alot of the options available from those tools.

There has been some really good discussion in this thread.

The Leatherman, it's not really a shame to not use the other tools, since it is so obviously built around the pliers. If you use the pliers, it isn't a shame. What happens with me is that when I carry a Leatherman, I end up using the inside tools more, and wonder why I'm carrying this big chunk of steel when a SAK would do nicely. (and with quicker access to those tools)

I find myself carrying either a Manager, Classic, or Wenger Pocket Toolchest to work most days, and on weekends, I mix it up a lot, depending on my plans for the day:

Hiking = OH Trekker NS
General Duty = Explorer, Mountaineer, or Skipper
Light Duty = Sportsman
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline getahl

Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 05:14:30 PM
Being a desk jockey at 35, I usually carry a Classic or MiniChamp. Today I happen to have an Executive in my pocket, and I doubt it will even make an appearance. I rarely carry a  full sized Leatherman, although I had one on hand this weekend to help pull tent stakes. I like small, and usually like uncomplicated. Other than a basic 58mm, my most carried are medium Opinel, Buck 303, and a Mora. Love them all, don't carry much different any longer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 05:40:11 PM
@ Huntsman, yes thats exactly what I was saying  :tu:

There are so many great options in pocket tools.  I struggle with what to carry so to play it safe and keep from going insane I pocket my Swisschamp. 

I have 3 91mm SAKs on my table that I adore, Swisschamp, Deluxe Tinker, and Explorer with plus scales. I would love to add the pliers to my Explorer and maybe the metal file or saw.

I have 2 58mm that make the grade for me, Manager and Minichamp.

The only other SAK that I consider is my Cadet 2 ( ribbed scales ).

I generally just love the swisschamp, whats not to love?  Yes it's wide and no I don't often NEED most of the tools on it but goodness it's just so wonderful. 

What a great bunch of comments and terrific thread. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:35 PM
I've been carrying a two layer tinker lately and think this is a good setup. I don't think i'd go anymore than a super tinker. I have a hercules and have carried it in my pocket but wouldn't do it on a daily basis.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 03:31:48 PM
@ Huntsman, yes thats exactly what I was saying  :tu:

There are so many great options in pocket tools.  I struggle with what to carry so to play it safe and keep from going insane I pocket my Swisschamp

I have 3 91mm SAKs on my table that I adore, Swisschamp, Deluxe Tinker, and Explorer with plus scales. I would love to add the pliers to my Explorer and maybe the metal file or saw.

I have 2 58mm that make the grade for me, Manager and Minichamp.

The only other SAK that I consider is my Cadet 2 ( ribbed scales ).

I generally just love the swisschamp, whats not to love?  Yes it's wide and no I don't often NEED most of the tools on it but goodness it's just so wonderful. 

What a great bunch of comments and terrific thread.

the last time I gave the SwissChamp a break and carried my Explorer,  I needed  a file and a saw in the same day   :facepalm:  (Granted I had my Charge TTi, but you know  :rofl:  )
If I can help, let me know 

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:27 PM
I am two and a half years older since i bought my first mt.i had a skeletool once. But i now have the tool with the most functions. Swisstool

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 09:00:29 PM
I have to say I "kinda" agree.. Back in my teen years I had to have my Swiss champ plus, then a Multitool, but now I'm good with just a farmer, but I also have all my other goodies, flashlight, fak, and other junk! So yeah smaller the tool just more tools..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 01:13:35 AM
That's exactly where I'm at now Smaug, and have come to the same conclusion.  I just like the feel of the SAK's more in my pocket.  After decades of carrying one, it just feels right! 
Barry

Offline Mattexian

Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 06:26:10 AM
I think for most of us,  we grew up using a basic pocketknife (jack knife or scout) and improvised,  and as we've gotten older, sentimentality and experience show us we can get by with a minimal pocketknife again.  I've been toting my Alox Soldier around the house, tho for work, I still insist on one with scissors,  like my Super Tinker,  as I needed it today to trim up a snagged and broken thumbnail.

Matt in Texas

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

R

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 06:25:38 AM
I remember being in fourth grade and we had this class activity where we would make traditional Christmas lanterns ("Parol" - you'll love the images with you google it up) using bamboo sticks for the frame and colored cellophane to cover it up.  You'd be the "it" guy if you had the thickest SAK in class.

Fast forward how many years later in 2001, I've narrowed my "EDC" to a Micra, without even knowing what's "EDC".  2015 and due to the strength of recent storms and that prepper mentality due to earthquakes and what have you, I've expanded my carry load to a Spirit (in the bag) + Hercules in the pocket.  Although I'm very much well off with a Micra + Signature combo, having a relatively new knife in the 111mm series makes me feel young (at heart) again.

But yeah, I'm staying away from the "champs" and the like.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 01:20:19 PM
I´m 45 and have definately turned more minmalistic in my carry.
My Midnite Manager is my only true EDC since it goes on my car keys. Most days I honestly would be all set with this. I do sometimes miss small pliers that are just handy to have and I have a P4 in the coin pocket as compliement for a minmalistic minimum carry.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 01:21:30 PM
tools do tend to shrink as people get older....   :facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 02:36:34 PM

You say that out of first hand experience? :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 02:42:08 PM
and out of right hand experience...  ? :X

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 02:49:24 PM

I frequently carry an XLT  to compensate because I want to!  Jokes aside, my arthritis is going to cause me to go bigger. Some days, an 84mm is hard to use. Planing to stock up on more OHO 111's and 130's for later.  :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

Reply #47 on: October 29, 2015, 02:54:26 PM

I frequently carry an XLT  to compensate because I want to!  Jokes aside, my arthritis is going to cause me to go bigger. Some days, an 84mm is hard to use. Planing to stock up on more OHO 111's and 130's for later.  :facepalm:

Sorry to heat that, SG :(. On the bright side, it's good to hear you have a plan :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #48 on: October 29, 2015, 02:59:33 PM
 :rofl:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

Reply #49 on: October 29, 2015, 03:10:53 PM
You may laugh but that's not a clear answer ::)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: October 29, 2015, 03:25:49 PM

Sorry to heat that, SG :(. On the bright side, it's good to hear you have a plan :tu:

Thanks buddy!  :cheers: 
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline firiki

Reply #51 on: October 29, 2015, 03:29:25 PM

Thanks buddy!  :cheers:

:cheers: I know how it must feel. I'm 33 and I need a new body already  ;)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #52 on: October 29, 2015, 03:45:20 PM
.!.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #53 on: October 29, 2015, 03:55:36 PM
&

:D

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 04:09:38 PM

I know this might be sacrilege, but . . . . dare I say it? Might also be time to also try carrying something different that is big and easy to hold: a Leatherman Surge. (gasp!)

Please don't excommunicate me from any of the SAK threads for suggesting that :eek:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 04:48:09 PM

I know this might be sacrilege, but . . . . dare I say it? Might also be time to also try carrying something different that is big and easy to hold: a Leatherman Surge. (gasp!)

Please don't excommunicate me from any of the SAK threads for suggesting that :eek:

A great idea but for me, the knife blades (and other tools) are always harder to fish out of the Multi's handles. It varies from day to day but before I started treatment, my Case Hawkbill was the only knife I could open. :(

Case Hawkbill Pruner.JPG
* Case Hawkbill Pruner.JPG (Filesize: 86.89 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 05:01:36 PM

A great idea but for me, the knife blades (and other tools) are always harder to fish out of the Multi's handles. It varies from day to day but before I started treatment, my Case Hawkbill was the only knife I could open. :(

If you get a chance, try a Kershaw Knockout. The spring assist makes it so easy to open. :)

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 06:41:47 PM
I'm older than dirt. The older I get the more tools on the SAK the better. YMMV. tom.  :climber:
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 06:49:04 PM

If you get a chance, try a Kershaw Knockout. The spring assist makes it so easy to open. :)

Thx!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 06:25:30 PM
Going knife only: there is a danger of snapping the tip off when you need to pry something.

I really love the flat screwdriver, not because it can also be used as a bottle opener but because it can also be used as a pry tool. Some people refer to this tool as a bottle opener, but I just don't ever find myself opening bottles with it, I do pry stuff plenty of times and I sometimes need a flat screwdriver though.

At work I am always lifting and carrying stuff so I don't want bulky pockets with a large SAK, I just carry a Manager.  Although I take a bag which I put in the cab of the truck and in that I have an Explorer and a SwissTool X.

Minimal is OK in some ways, but sometimes you need some other tool and it is handy to have those close at hand for such occasions.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $384.86
PayPal Fees: $20.11
Net Balance: $364.75
Above Goal: $64.75
Site Currency: USD
122%