Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Have a Spartan Lite on its way. Looking for a mag glass and maybe scissors mod!

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Hi all,

I have a Spartan Lite on its way to me for my son and I would like to find a mag glass and maybe a scissors for it that someone can mod for me.

If you have these parts laying around and can do the mod, please PM or email me pricing at "mjp2k AT hotmail DOT com".

The main tool I would like to add in place of the lite is the mag glass but if you have a scissors tool around I would also consider adding that layer to it.

Thx.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
A Spartan Lite - lite + mag + scissors = Explorer. Probably easier and cheaper to just pick up an Explorer - unless I'm missing something.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Might I ask why don't you get a Passenger or if you need scissors an Explorer?
It's easily available and it should cost you 5 times less than breaking 2-3 knives + modding fee...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
A Spartan Lite - lite + mag + scissors = Explorer. Probably easier and cheaper to just pick up an Explorer - unless I'm missing something.

+1

FELINEVET is having a 25% off sale over at EDC Source. There are some Explorers listed there.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60865.0.html

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
I don't really need the scissors, it was just a thought.  My main mod would be removing the lite and replacing it with the mag glass.

Yeah, I did think about the Explorer which I dont have but do have a Spartan Lite so I just thought I would see if someone had what I needed and wanted to mod it.  Of course, it would depend on price to do it!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
I don't really need the scissors, it was just a thought.  My main mod would be removing the lite and replacing it with the mag glass.

Yeah, I did think about the Explorer which I dont have but do have a Spartan Lite so I just thought I would see if someone had what I needed and wanted to mod it.  Of course, it would depend on price to do it!

A Passenger pic for reference....

Orig Passenger.jpg
* Orig Passenger.jpg (Filesize: 85.35 KB)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:56:37 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
If a Spartan without the lite and with a Mag lens is called a Passenger, then I guess yeah!  :)

Oh, so you want a Passenger!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
:2tu: A Passenger mod is what you want! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Interesting thread.

As the owner of a Swiss Bianco Yeoman Plus, Explorer Plus, vintage Explorer, Spartan Lite, and whose grandpa used to have a Passenger, my recommendation is to get an Explorer Plus and try it out, as-is. If, after a while, you feel like the scissors are not worth that 4th layer, have it modded. (or learn how to do it yourself, or buy an old one on FeeBay)

Pocket carry the Explorer for a week or so, and get used to how it feels in the pocket. If it still feels too bulky or heavy, try a pocket hanger before taking the plunge.

I've bought two Explorer Plus' with Emerald Green scales from an eBay seller who'll engrave the blade with your initials for an extra $3. (one for my brother, one for myself)

If you're worried about the extra thickness of the 4th layer of an Explorer breaking the deal for you, please remember that the LED light is significantly thicker than the magnifier. The result is that even though the Explorer is 4 layers instead of 3, it is just a tiny bit thicker than the Spartan Lite.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Adding supporting illustrations in this post.

These first three pix show the Explorer Plus next to the Spartan Lite:

Here's the Mountaineer (left) vs. the Spartan Lite. A thin 4-layer vs. a thick 3-layer, respectively:

Yeoman (left) vs. Spartan Lite. A medium-thick 3 layer vs. a thick 3-layer:

Hiker (left) vs. Spartan Lite. A thin 3-layer vs. a thick 3-layer:

Bottom line: Keep the Spartan Lite as-is. It makes an excellent nightstand SAK, as that LED is just perfect for walking around a dark home at night. Then, get an Explorer Plus for going out and about. :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:30:48 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
I would really like to keep three layers and just swap out the lite for a mag lens but I dont have any problem with also adding a scissors layer as I normally use a P-7 clip for anything 4 layers or more!

Thx.

P.S.  Haven't came across any cheap Explorer Plus sak's.  :)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake

25% off until the end of August from Felinevet: http://www.edcsource.com/listing/victorinox-explorer-plus-swiss-army-knife-free-us-shipping/119354

Enter discount code summer at the checkout.

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
I guess I am not having any luck locating a mag glass to replace the lite, which I find kinda useless as it doesn't seem to have much power and that I carry a seperate lite.

Thx. and feel free to close this thread.

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Yeah, I did look there and still seem like they are about $40 and the ones I see look like the original grey case ones.  Might consider it if I can sell off my Spartan Lite!  :)

25% off until the end of August from Felinevet: http://www.edcsource.com/listing/victorinox-explorer-plus-swiss-army-knife-free-us-shipping/119354

Enter discount code summer at the checkout.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
 :facepalm:

1) Don't just look at the pictures, read the description too.
2) Enter the discount code at the checkout to get 25% off.

:pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD