Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AWT Benchmade Griptilian scales.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
AWT Benchmade Griptilian scales.
on: August 11, 2015, 10:18:23 PM
I really like my Griptilian and do like the current scales, but have always wanted aftermarket scales for one. One reason is just to get a Griptilian with a different feel and look. Another reason is I very much dislike how the stock Griptilians pocket clip meets the scale. I came across the AWT scales and loved the look of them as well as the full aluminum construction. From what I have read and heard it gives the Griptilian a very nice feel and makes the profile thinner and flat. I had to try a set out so I ordered a pair and a donor Griptilian.  :facepalm: From all I have read it is a awesome company and is founded by a disabled Veteran. Everything is 100% made and assembled in the USA. Not to mention the very reasonable price. Looking around on other forums aftermarket Griptilian scales made from all sorts of materials like Micarta, G-10, Canvas, cost $95+. These are solid 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and the normal set goes for $75.00. They sell blemish sets for $49.95. I could get two blemished sets for the price of Canvas aftermarket scales. They also have Mini-Griptilian scales for the same price.

http://appliedweaponstech.com/

When I ordered the scales they only had OD Green left or I would have gotten black, but I figured if I really love the scales I will order black ones later. So I did OD Green with a black backspacer. I might order a different color backspacer later on. The donor Griptilian is the standard Black/Satin with Spydie hole. I debated to get the H20 model to get the N680 blade, but opted out. Might do that later on. I will keep you guys and gals updated once I get the scales and then once I get the donor knife and do the swap.  :tu:

Check out the website for some more pictures or youtube the product if interested. I have no affiliation with the product.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:19:51 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Joe58

Re: AWT Benchmade Griptilian scales.
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:09:22 PM
How's the grippyness of those Capt.?

In looking at the pic, it appears to be a matte kind of finish on those? So I'm curious about handling when wet and/or slimy.

And when they wear, what's under the finish.

I've a couple sets of the Wilkins, aluminum and Ti, and they for sure give the knife a much better feel. At least to me. So these could be a much more reasonable cost answer.
🇨🇭

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:26:58 AM
How's the grippyness of those Capt.?

In looking at the pic, it appears to be a matte kind of finish on those? So I'm curious about handling when wet and/or slimy.

And when they wear, what's under the finish.

I've a couple sets of the Wilkins, aluminum and Ti, and they for sure give the knife a much better feel. At least to me. So these could be a much more reasonable cost answer.

Not sure I have not recieved them yet. I read a post about someone who used to use Wilkins Ti scales and said these are lighter than those. Everyone says the machining is excellent.
I'm the milk man!

us Online Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:58:25 AM
The biggest thing I dislike Griptilian is the hollow grip, this is definitely an improvement.
But spending $75 to upgrade an $100 knife....
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:29:19 AM
The biggest thing I dislike Griptilian is the hollow grip, this is definitely an improvement.
But spending $75 to upgrade an $100 knife....

I got the blem kit so I only paid $49.99. Its half as cheap as most other options in any material. I get what you are saying though.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 10:57:40 PM
I recieved the donor Grip and scales a day early! The kit has been installed! Pics to follow.
I'm the milk man!

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 11:08:54 PM
 :popcorn:

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 11:10:54 PM
 :popcorn:

Edit: beat me to it steve :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:16 PM
I recieved the AWT kit and donor Griptilian. I have to admit it did feel slightly strange getting a brand new $100 knife and immediately disassembling it.

I did take a few pictures during the process. Nothing in detail, but enough to see what is going on.

Donor Griptilian and AWT Kit.

The kit comes with screws (which you will have to use) that are different from the originals. Backspacer, and scales. No instructions on instillation. One thing I would of liked to know is you will need a T6, T10, and a 1/16 allen. You will re-use your original pivot and pivot screw for the kit.

Griptilian disassemble.

Grip going into AWT kit.

I installed the scales on both sides and then screwed everything together lightly, leaving the blade and pivot out.

cleaned and re lubed (with CRK grease) the washers.

After greasing the washers I started to put the pivot pin in (it is shaped like the letter D so it will only go in one way. Inserted it and let it protrude only slightly. Slid on the first washer. Pushed in the pin further and installed the blade. Pushed it in further and installed the last washer and inserted the other screw. Sounds easy, but this was one thing that took a bit of time. I will explain later. Once you do this you are basically done.

Deciding which clip to use.

I have a bunch of different clips I could use for this and was originally going to do the black oxide clip, but placed the deep carry Contego clip on and it looked great. I had a tension problem with the clip. Removed it and reinstalled to find the tension was great, but the portion of the clip the first inserts into your pocket was much to low and I could not get it into my pocket. After trying to get it to work it was not happening so I went with my original plan and used the black oxide. Same tension issue so I bent the first one and it snapped in half. I was only bending with my fingers. Tried another and got it perfect and installed. Tightened all the screws down for the clip and scales. Last thing to do was center the blade and adjust the pivot which took about 5 minutes.

Shes all done!

Something to note.

One thing I noticed while installing was this gap. Even though it is there it has no effect on the strength or blade/frame play in any way.

Something else to note.

I noticed the factory Benchmade screws are no longer using loctite, but rather these plastic sleeve's. Seems very smart. It is not messy. It locks the screws in VERY well while at the same time acting as a sign of if the owner has disassembled the knife when sending in for warranty (I assume).

Blem

So I ordered the blemished kit as it is $25 cheaper and was the only one they had. I have to say I could barely even notice a blem at all. I think I spotted it and if this is how their blem kits look then I am definitely happy with that. There is a tiny spec of a blem on the edge.

Final thoughts.

Final thoughts are great so far. The blem kit was beautiful and the blem was tiny and not even really noticeable. The knife will get more wear than that in the first day for sure. Instillation was very straight forward and easy. Know in advance what size tools you will need and have a SAK handy as it helped with a few things like pushing the pivot pin and installing the last washer. The gap in the frame and the scales could be better, but to be honest this gap happens in your standard Spydercos and the like so its no big deal and I am not worried about it at all. The back spacer fits pretty dang good, but could be refined to be perfect. Still good enough that there are no complaints from me at all. Centering the blade and getting proper tension was easy. The one and only thing is the blade will not free fall as easily as it did right out of the box, but it opens just as smooth. I did flip around the washers so it might just be that and could break in well. Again, not even enough to have me concerned or care really. It makes the knife slimmer and carries beautifully in the pocket. Makes the Griptilian feel like a heavy duty performer. As of now I could not be happier. I love the scales. If I remember anything else I will add it later.

More Pics.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:37:38 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:50:20 PM
Looks great Cap! I wish they were just a touch less expensive, but ah well. I can't justify doubling the cost, but if it were "the" knife for me, I would in an instant. I really love the look of well machined aluminium  :drool: is it a lot heavier?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 11:51:42 PM
Very nice Cap! How's the grip on those scales?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 12:01:37 AM
Very nice Cap! How's the grip on those scales?

Well they do not have to much traction when running a finger over them, but when held in the hand I do not feel like the knife would ever slip out.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:03:58 AM
Looks great Cap! I wish they were just a touch less expensive, but ah well. I can't justify doubling the cost, but if it were "the" knife for me, I would in an instant. I really love the look of well machined aluminium  :drool: is it a lot heavier?

Honestly the price is very reasonable compared to other aftermarket scales. I got the "blem" set for $50. Other aftermarket scales are usually $90+. I don't disagree that I wish they were less than $50 still as we all want things to be less expensive.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:24:01 AM

Honestly the price is very reasonable compared to other aftermarket scales. I got the "blem" set for $50. Other aftermarket scales are usually $90+. I don't disagree that I wish they were less than $50 still as we all want things to be less expensive.  :D

It's very true. I was looking at endura scales briefly, all i found were more than the knife... But yeah, $50 really isn't that bad, they look damn fine, especially for "blemished"!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 12:38:56 AM
I just adjusted the pivot again and it is still centered and closes much smoother now.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 01:15:40 AM
I need to stay away from this thread, I almost talked myself into a set...  :ahhh

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 01:19:26 AM
I came close to buying a set after cap's first post and that was before seeing his shots of the finished product.

This forum is dangerous to one's wallet.

Not that I'm complaining, I encourage people too... :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:20:27 AM by Toolslinger »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 01:38:26 AM
I need to stay away from this thread, I almost talked myself into a set...  :ahhh

you and me both! :ahhh

those scales do look really nice, captain. many thanks for the detailed write up and great pics. :salute:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 07:20:16 AM

those scales do look really nice, captain. many thanks for the detailed write up and great pics. :salute:

No problem.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Online Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 08:30:59 AM

+2

Thanks Cap. :salute:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 01:43:47 PM

+2

Thanks Cap. :salute:

+3  :tu:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 03:49:02 PM
That looks a lot better than the original scales! I would like to see a stag set for that knife!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 04:53:12 PM
Great write up and awesome pics as always Capt.  I do think this knife looks so much better that how it comes originally.  The scales IMO really make the knife a $100 knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 10:25:55 PM
Some pics comparing it to the original OD Green scales.

Color Comparision

This picture represents the true colors very well and compares them. I could go either way on color. I like both.

I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:32 PM
Nice pics! :tu:

I'm loving the color on the AWT. Kind of a Kelly/Hunter/Forest Green at least to my eyes. Whatever you call it, it's beautiful.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 02:12:52 AM
What's interesting to me, is that those are likely "blemish" because the color wasn't right. It said on the site most of them don't qualify, not because of chips or dings, but because of colors being out of range, which makes me wonder what they "should" be. I like the shade they are  :tu:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 02:29:39 AM
What's interesting to me, is that those are likely "blemish" because the color wasn't right. It said on the site most of them don't qualify, not because of chips or dings, but because of colors being out of range, which makes me wonder what they "should" be. I like the shade they are  :tu:

I must of missed that part. I'm very alright with the color being the blemish.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 02:33:16 AM
Now that you mentioned the shade I went and looked at the other OD scales from them and it appears mine are darker. Luckily I actually am preferring the darker color.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 02:34:28 AM

I must of missed that part. I'm very alright with the color being the blemish.  :tu:

For sure!! Not many companies knock a third off the price just because the color is a touch off, that's awesome

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 09:20:33 AM
good job and excellent thread! :cheers:

but....

now it's not a Grip tilian! it's a Smooth-tilian :P ::) :D

I do like that color but I've always wanted orange for mine (for better visibility and with grip) you should see my GF "flip" the blade open (and scare the dog) she used to tease me about that! lol

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%