Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sak Help?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Sak Help?
Reply #30 on: September 15, 2015, 09:45:24 AM
Thanks huntsman,
   The corkscrew is the only thing he doesn't like, idk, he just said he doesn't like it :shrug: anyway, since I don't have any larger(111)sak, how is the locking on these? There are the two diff ones, the liner and the slide, I'm guessing the liner is like any other, but I didn't see any with pliers, and with his small fingers I think a slide might be better, but are they good? Like I said I have no experience with these!
JR

I have both 111mm with slide lock and liner lock, and personally like the liner lock better for possibly more sturdier construction(but you may need a little finger dexterity and strength to close blade with one hand, probably may not be ideal for a young child, depending on how you look at it).

The 111mm is an interesting idea, but are we sure this will reduce siblings rivalry since it has bigger blade/appearance?  :cheers: :think:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 02:42:51 PM
Thanks huntsman,
   The corkscrew is the only thing he doesn't like, idk, he just said he doesn't like it :shrug: anyway, since I don't have any larger(111)sak, how is the locking on these? There are the two diff ones, the liner and the slide, I'm guessing the liner is like any other, but I didn't see any with pliers, and with his small fingers I think a slide might be better, but are they good? Like I said I have no experience with these!
JR

I have both 111mm with slide lock and liner lock, and personally like the liner lock better for possibly more sturdier construction(but you may need a little finger dexterity and strength to close blade with one hand, probably may not be ideal for a young child, depending on how you look at it).

The 111mm is an interesting idea, but are we sure this will reduce siblings rivalry since it has bigger blade/appearance?  :cheers: :think:
The kids hands are kinda small and weak, that's the one thing that's got me worried, his brother on the other hand I don't think will care, I have yet to see him really use his sak, right now he is so into sports and food, he'd find a fork or football more interesting! Today the little guy starts robotics, so he's more of a gear-head and will probably sleep with his sak, on top of that he's been waiting for his since his brother got his 4yrs ago!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:58 PM
Ok, here's a thought, if the little guy is so interested on the pliers and not a corkscrew, what if I kinda broke tradition and instead of getting a sak, got a Multitool? Maybe a leatherman? I can't afford a sak Multitool, it's still a tool for 12, that atlas huntsman mentioned is more then the Hercules, and yet that comes with scissors and a extra Philips! Yet if he's going to get into robotics and other stuff, maybe a Multitool is better? Maybe something with the interchangeable bits? I guess later tonight I'll have to let him try out a leatherman and see how it goes?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 05:07:52 PM
I'd have to agree about the corkscrew.  My Explorer is the only SAK that has one.   I use it for disentangling shoe lace knots, and carrying the eyeglass/jeweler's screwdriver, and that's it. The inline Phillips is nowhere near as good as the backside one, as it won't fit as small a screw as the backside one can.  In addition, the can opener's flat head can fit into places to reach Phillips screws the inline Phillips can't. 

I've tried at least 10 SAKs over the years.  My favorites are still 4-layer models, especially my original SAK--the Fieldmaster which I bought when I was 8.  Anymore these days, I'm carrying a pliers based tool along with an SAK, typically my Leatherman PST II or Super Tool.  I prefer the PST II, as it's compact enough that I won't need a sheath. That way, I have the extra file and screwdrivers as well as the full-sized pliers and a partially serrated blade.  It, combined with my Fieldmaster gives me the tools to complete most tasks.

If he's getting into robotics, then why not try one of the CyberTool variants?  I think the CT34 Lite has just about everything he wants--and more!  But then again, it has that useless corkscrew.  I'd have this one on my list if it had the backside Phillips instead.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:17:10 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 05:17:07 PM
If you can afford a 111mm SAK with pliers, you can afford a pliers-based multi-tool.

If hand size and strength is an issue, a Wave is probably out of the question.

I'd suggest a Gerber MP400. That's their compact one, but still usable when he's grown. It'll take their own bit driver adapter, which is quite good, and then he can use any 1/4" hex bit. He'd get pliers, scissors, a few good screwdrivers, all for $26.

Some time down the line, get him the bit adapter that uses the square shank of the Phillips, and maybe one of those Ryobi or Milwaukee bit kits at Home Depot.

It is a bit more fun to fiddle with than a SAK.

Lastly, you could do the easy mod to remove or replace the blade, then he could even take it to school with him.

last thought, the big locking blade of a 111mm SAK may not be such a good idea for a little guy.

The Leatherman Juice S2 is a good option, but not nearly as versatile as the Gerber MP400, especially considering it costs twice as much.

So, given this latest information, my vote is for an MP400. (if you think his hands are big enough for a compact full size MT)

-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:45 PM
If you consider a Wave, that has the replaceable bits you mentioned. It's also a good size plier for younger hands.

No corkscrew, and all the accessories you could want (except an Awl).
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 07:22:43 PM
Interesting possible change of direction.  I initially thought LM Blast actually or PST 2.  The metal file could come in handy for robotics ( ? ).  Not sure about handle splay for a 12 year old tho. 

Because he likes the mag glass ( and who doesn't? ) MT wise he'll have to compromise on that.  If he/you think pliers are high on the list then I say go for a MT as the pliers on the SAK are super tweezers mostly.  Funny thing is what he really needs is BOTH a SAK and MT  :whistle:.

BTW do any SAKs with the mag glass come with backside phillips vs corkscrew?   

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 08:10:30 PM
If you're moving towards full size pliers multitools, my recommendation would be the Diesel. Smaller gripping circumference than any of the Leatherman tools, all the tools he's looking for, compatible with a bit kit (just make sure you buy the right one), and won't break the bank if he damages it while he's learning about tools.

If you're worried it might be too big a tool for him, check out my thread which compares handle ergonomics, as the Diesel is a better choice than even smaller stuff like a Juice.

File, woodsaw, scissors, drivers, openers, no corkscrew  :P, compatible bit set available, and pliers, all in a format that his hands will be able to cope with.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 09:25:32 PM
Ok, schools out, so he'll be in robotics club now, today is more or less a gathering to exsplain about everything.. So, he should be home soon to rip our ears apart on what he'll be doing :poh: so when he's done maybe I can show him an original wave and a skeletool to see what he thinks, and see what he likes better between them or a sak.. So we'll see..
JR

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 11:16:54 PM
                               LEAP       ???    :D    :o

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 12:20:46 AM
Well I let him fidget around with the LM wave, and he liked it, but,, he likes the sak better.. I liked how he just said "but I like the carpenter"! Of course one that is no longer manufactured.
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 12:39:41 AM
GET BOTH MTo way. 

Swisschamp and dedicated pliers. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 02:23:14 AM
GET BOTH MTo way. 

Swisschamp and dedicated pliers.
Lol, yeah really..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: September 18, 2015, 04:01:41 AM
Anyone a Victorinox Hercules owner?
JR

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #44 on: September 18, 2015, 05:24:57 AM
Yes. Too big for pocket carry; good spot just before the workchamp in the lineup; lacks one handed opening and the stronger bottle opener/prybar of the smaller liner lock models.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: September 18, 2015, 01:48:31 PM
Yes. Too big for pocket carry; good spot just before the workchamp in the lineup; lacks one handed opening and the stronger bottle opener/prybar of the smaller liner lock models.
Thanks, too big for pocket carry no biggie, same for one handed, at least he should have a easier time opening it with two hands.
JR

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #46 on: September 18, 2015, 02:13:58 PM
Robotics club? I think either a Craftsman or a Spirit would work for that.  :tu:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #47 on: September 18, 2015, 02:14:57 PM
Does anyone know what kind of sheath is suitable for a Hercules or Workchamp?
SAW

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 07:12:35 PM

So I did a little one on one with the little guy and asked him what he liked and this is what I came up with..
These are the tools that he likes
Saw
Pliers
File
Mag glass
And the hook
Of course the blade, can opener/screwdriver, and bottle opener/screwdriver..
The one tool he didn't like was the corkscrew ...
:think:

(Image removed from quote.)

SwissChamp
:gimme:

Mark the question as "Closed" (Image removed from quote.)

;)

Brilliant!!

He may not like the corkscrew now but it's only a matter of time before he finds some neat things to use it on.  It's also a great place to put the little driver and he may find some good uses for that as well.   

:2tu:   :cheers:  :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:14:55 PM by Caranthanus »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 05:32:59 PM
Ok, an update, I still couldn't figure out what to get him, nothing fit his tool combo and he wanted the larger 111, but I don't even have any sak that size. So, this morning for giggles I went on Amazon and my jaw dropped :drool: , the original one that my grandfather gave me, and the one that I gave my older kid when he turned 12 was on sale, and I mean ON SALE! So I showed the wife, and said its not totally what he wants but it's what I gave the other kid, so she's like so, it's on sale, lol. So we fig that we might as well get it and just keep the tradition going, so I got him a champion plus, and cheap too! No it's not the imitation cause when I loaded the page it showed that I had bought the same one 4yrs ago for the other kid, just like it says now that I got it today! Idk how long it's going to stay that price so I highly advise anyone to grab it if your on the lookout for one!
JR

Now I just got to get him a sheath, probably a black one so he doesn't get his brothers brown one mixed up..

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #50 on: October 13, 2015, 07:57:23 PM
There are Champions available, new from Vic?

de Offline windson

Reply #51 on: October 13, 2015, 08:00:51 PM
Only in the US, it seems. Europe is all Swisschamp, apparently.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 13, 2015, 08:22:35 PM
SwissChamp is SwissChamp :D but also :tu: for tradition goes on ;)

ar Offline wmoco

Reply #53 on: October 13, 2015, 10:31:03 PM
So, this morning for giggles I went on Amazon and my jaw dropped :drool: , the original one that my grandfather gave me, and the one that I gave my older kid when he turned 12 was on sale, and I mean ON SALE! So I showed the wife, and said its not totally what he wants but it's what I gave the other kid, so she's like so, it's on sale, lol. So we fig that we might as well get it and just keep the tradition going, so I got him a champion plus, and cheap too!

Wow!

Congrats!
Nothing fancy to write here...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: October 13, 2015, 10:36:53 PM
So, this morning for giggles I went on Amazon and my jaw dropped :drool: , the original one that my grandfather gave me, and the one that I gave my older kid when he turned 12 was on sale, and I mean ON SALE! So I showed the wife, and said its not totally what he wants but it's what I gave the other kid, so she's like so, it's on sale, lol. So we fig that we might as well get it and just keep the tradition going, so I got him a champion plus, and cheap too!

Wow!

Congrats!
Thanks, I keep going back to the page waiting for the price to back go up, yet it dropped another 70 cents, lol.
JR

de Offline windson

Reply #55 on: October 13, 2015, 11:17:24 PM

Wow!

Congrats!
Thanks, I keep going back to the page waiting for the price to back go up, yet it dropped another 70 cents, lol.
JR
Congrats on that sale! That's a discount that just screams that this is the right model for your boy.

Offline AmberDragon

Reply #56 on: October 13, 2015, 11:27:02 PM
JR

Thanks for posting about that sale - I just ordered one for myself. It'll be my first "big" SAK after carrying the same Climber for umpteen years. At that price, even if it's too big to hold comfortably, I can always justify the price if I regift it to one of my brothers or nieces/nephews.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: October 13, 2015, 11:37:29 PM

Wow!

Congrats!
JR
Congrats on that sale! That's a discount that just screams that this is the right model for your boy.
:tu: totally!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: October 13, 2015, 11:48:00 PM
JR

Thanks for posting about that sale - I just ordered one for myself. It'll be my first "big" SAK after carrying the same Climber for umpteen years. At that price, even if it's too big to hold comfortably, I can always justify the price if I regift it to one of my brothers or nieces/nephews.
Way to go! Yeah their a little big, but there's other ways to carry them, I was always a sheath carrier, but there's also clip hanging, even with a large sak it doesn't create the weight or uncomfort by bouncing around since it's not on the bottom of the pocket and pulls on the belt loop.

Another good thought on regifting! lol..
JR
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:50:19 PM by MadPlumbarian »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 03:12:02 AM
Well after all that debate - That is a great result all round - I reckon  :D - Yay

Tradition keeps going, great price, and no brotherly squabbles/jealousy
From my perespective the Champion is bit big for a kid - However I am sure from the kids perspective the more tools the better - More to play with and impress his friends....

And what an amazing price - Less than half what I would have to pay for it  :(   Grrrr

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%