Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Travelling Arsenal

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Travelling Arsenal
Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 11:31:02 AM
I'm at a cabin in Yosemite at the moment. With WiFi. I'm roughing it. I brought my Mora #2 and SAK Camper in my Camelbak. That was going to be my only knives, but I brought my Opinel 8 at the last minute. Only going for a few days, so didn't feel the need to bring a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A cabin in the woods with WiFi? That sounds fab. :dd:

If I'm away for a week or more then I tend to take a 'do it all' MT (Spirit, Wave or some such), a fat large layered SAK, a keyring SAK or MT and a pocket knife.  If i'm going to be in the great outdoors (like a cabin in Yosemite for example) I'd add in a nice sheath knife as well.

FTFY...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 09:08:33 AM
Flying again. Packing my SAK in my checked bag. That's been established to be ok, correct?

But just had a stupid question, stupid answers accepted (has to be accompanied by a real answer however) ;) . Any concern with packing my olight s1 baton? I'm assuming no, but don't want to give anyone my $80 flashlight...

Thanks again travelers and explorers.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 10:05:55 AM
Flying again. Packing my SAK in my checked bag. That's been established to be ok, correct?

But just had a stupid question, stupid answers accepted (has to be accompanied by a real answer however) ;) . Any concern with packing my olight s1 baton? I'm assuming no, but don't want to give anyone my $80 flashlight...

Pack it without batteries, they are forbidden in most flights and can cause trouble.

I carry my Vics and keys alltogether when traveling, but the battery on the DQG or any other light must go off   >:(
Like when sending mail/post and packages, no batteries allowed!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 12:41:33 PM

Pack it without batteries, they are forbidden in most flights and can cause trouble.

I carry my Vics and keys alltogether when traveling, but the battery on the DQG or any other light must go off   >:(
Like when sending mail/post and packages, no batteries allowed!

Didn't knew that. Sent/received some flashlights/torches with batteries without problems...

??? :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 01:39:55 PM
I know there are restrictions on lithium batteries.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 04:55:02 PM
Lithium batteries are fine as carryon as opposed to hull... if they carch fire they can be estinguished.

Do care about any strike bezel. My Ultrafire was almost confiscated once.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Flint Hills

Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 07:01:53 PM
I've carried a 1xAAA light with lithium battery on a lot of flights with no questions or comments. Just laid it in the bin with my keys, etc when going through security.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 08:59:11 PM
I carried my Nitecore EA41 (4xAA),  Preon 2 (2xAA), and my Fenix E01 all in my carry on bag with no issues.

As well as a pack of 8 new AAs.

I thought I had emptied all of them and told the society Gaurd to chuck the batteries, he said no issues :D

mx Offline FCSAK13

Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 09:34:09 PM
I love to travel so I do it very very often (10 countries in the last 2 years), and for all that time my swisschamp goes solo and I've never needed more. Taking away thorns, cutting fruits, opening nuts, opening a number of bottles of wine and fixing any small crisis that presents on the day.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 45.62 KB)
Proud owner of a SAK-SwissChamp-.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 10:33:48 PM
Generally I'll bring SwissChamp or Hercules in my bag, and then compact in my pocket around town. But for Japan, with the 5.5cm blade length rule (without a valid "reason" to have a larger one) I plan on taking my 4 layer 84mm build and maybe some 54mm model with a pen (which I dont have yet), since theres no pen on the 84mm.

I haven't been camping since getting my Farmer. I could see that coming along into the wilds. Especially if bug spray is involved. I'd also like a one-handed 111mm model with saw, openers, corkscrew (beefier version of Rucksack, I'm sure it must exist) for non-urban adventures.

Seems like the perfect SAK is always the next one I want to buy. Until I buy it and then realize I need another one.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 11:24:47 PM
I'm at a cabin in Yosemite at the moment. With WiFi. I'm roughing it. I brought my Mora #2 and SAK Camper in my Camelbak. That was going to be my only knives, but I brought my Opinel 8 at the last minute. Only going for a few days, so didn't feel the need to bring a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8)
If ya come back down the hill on Hwy 198 through Visalia, honk the the horn.....I'll be the Goob waving off the Mooney Blvd. exit  :rofl: :D :whistle: :cheers:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%