Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which model should I get next for my son?

Smaug · 25 · 1469

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Which model should I get next for my son?
on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:48 PM
So far, he's got my old Explorer, a Gerber MP400, and a Buck one-handed tool. He likes the Explorer, but doesn't carry it much, because he's afraid to lose it. A shocking amount of his pants have shallow, useless pockets and no belts or belt loops.

I'm thinking maybe Swisschamp (he loves the mag glass) Jetsetter (so he can actually EDC it) or Cybertool L. (so he's got a super-useful tool set for everyday life) For the bigger ones, I'd also get him a belt and belt pouch.

He's 11and very curious. Any other ideas are welcome too.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Which model should I get next for my son?
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 03:03:46 PM
Sounds like you need to identify the carry method first  :think: If he's happy to belt carry, there are pouches available which would suit the explorer.

Also, don't take this wrong, but are you getting him something for the sake of it, or is there a specific reason why this kid needs something different. If so, we could do with knowing that so we can advise accordingly

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 04:45:12 PM
Sounds like you need to identify the carry method first  :think: If he's happy to belt carry, there are pouches available which would suit the explorer.

Also, don't take this wrong, but are you getting him something for the sake of it, or is there a specific reason why this kid needs something different. If so, we could do with knowing that so we can advise accordingly

Well, aside from the Explorer being an old one, it was given to me when I was a kid, and I gave it to him, so maybe it's an heirloom now. He's afraid to lose it, and I'm happy for that.

The Buck would be seen as a weapon by many, hence the thought of the Jetsetter, which he could take to school.

So I want something for him that he'd not be afraid to carry, and also something that's fun to fiddle with and that might keep his curiosity going. (Swisschamp)

I think maybe a Swisschamp and Jetsetter combo would be good...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:55:46 PM
Solving the "how to carry" whichever tool seems like task number one then yes by all means SWISSCHAMP  :salute:.  Why the heck not?   

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 05:20:30 PM

Well, aside from the Explorer being an old one, it was given to me when I was a kid, and I gave it to him, so maybe it's an heirloom now. He's afraid to lose it, and I'm happy for that.

The Buck would be seen as a weapon by many, hence the thought of the Jetsetter, which he could take to school.

So I want something for him that he'd not be afraid to carry, and also something that's fun to fiddle with and that might keep his curiosity going. (Swisschamp)

I think maybe a Swisschamp and Jetsetter combo would be good...

Thanks, I understand now. I agree on the Swisschamp, but how about Style PS for the other?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 05:26:45 PM
Great idea on the Style PS @50ft.  I have been carrying my LM Squirt P4 and rate that tool highly.  I was thinking since he has an Explorer maybe a SAK with woodsaw or metal file and pair it with 50's suggestion?  Also maybe add plus scales so he has pen and pin.  He wear glasses so having the little driver would be great.

Then as he gets older he can move up to the Swisschamp.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 06:23:12 PM
When SwissChamp is an option, then SwissChamp is The Option. :D

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 06:48:56 PM
Does he have a keychain flashlight yet?

While an 11 year old typically can't carry a multi tool to school (even a Style PS may be a problem because of the scissors--sharp objects are often verboten), he can EDC a little flashlight like the Fenix E05. Might be fun for him to be able to EDC at least one item all the time.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 06:50:47 PM
Anything with a blade might be seen as a weapon in school, especially when carried by an 11 year old. So the Style PS might be very sensible.

If you figure out the method of carry, I'd suggest the Cybertool L you've mentioned, especially if he is extremely curious and likes to tinker around electronics
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 07:06:48 PM
Anything with a blade might be seen as a weapon in school, especially when carried by an 11 year old. So the Style PS might be very sensible.

Many schools in the US don't allow scissors unless they have blunt nose tips. Best to check with the local school requirements to see if a PS would be allowed. Schools in the US have no tolerance policies of these kinds of things any more, and even though technically the tiny scissors of the PS isn't that threatening, they interpret their policies when it comes to items perceived as weapons in a black and white manner--no gray area.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:10:34 PM by raistlin65 »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 08:50:40 PM
I showed him all the options, and he's excited about the Swisschamp and lukewarm about the others.

Swisschamp it is! He'll have to go to school without carrying.

Which size of Zermatt pouch fits it?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:52:21 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 10:45:12 PM
I showed him all the options, and he's excited about the Swisschamp and lukewarm about the others.

Smaug, the Large Zermatt for the SwissChamp.  Check out knives plus dot com in Texas...pretty good prices.  Just bought one there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 11:40:28 PM

Smart kid  :salute:.  With that many tools time to join up hahaha
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 11:55:22 AM
Glad the kid found something he likes. Now hide anything he could take apart and not be able to put together again
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 12:46:44 PM
The Champ is awesome because of its fiddle factor rating which is somewhere up in the stratosphere! :2tu:

My little guy got a fisherman with his name etched in the main blade. He is 8 and dad didn't want to go too fancy just yet. (just simple pocket carry). Incidentally he bounced it off the floor about 5 min after he got it and smashed the front scale with the fish inlay :face palm: So dad was right hahaha.

He also fell in love with the original swisscard I picked up and his gran is bringing him a swisscard lite in red today. I think the card is a good option for a kid for wallet carry. The blade can be left behind.

I am looking into the birth knife thing next. While they are common nib.

Anyway, Lucky kid! I am sure he cant wait to get his hands on it.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 09:01:54 PM
Conundrum: I asked him yesterday night if he would rather have a SAK or a new bike for his birthday, and he answered: "bike" without any hesitation.

However, he doesn't take care of his bike. He lost two locks already. I think he left them locked to the rack at school, and they cut them off and threw them away.

I made him use his chore money to buy another lock, and he "locked" his bike up around the base of the handlebar. (i.e. not locked at all.)

So even though he would like the bike better, I'm not sure it would be a wise. Maybe I'll let him suffer with the bike that's a little too small for him until he can figure out how to take care of it better.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 09:54:40 PM
I am 15 and in high school. I carry a wenger nail clip AT and I love it's versatility. Get him this and the cyber tool L

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 04:55:39 PM
Update: We tuned up his old bike yesterday and ordered him a Swisschamp. Seller Dellasknives on ebay has them with different scale options than stock, so he'll have kind of a unique Emerald Green-scaled one with his name engraved on the large blade.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 04:56:15 PM
It's really none of my business but I have to agree with you on the bike. IMO, he needs to be more responsible with his gear. :salute:
SAW

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 04:57:20 PM
Update: We tuned up his old bike yesterday and ordered him a Swisschamp. Seller Dellasknives on ebay has them with different scale options than stock, so he'll have kind of a unique Emerald Green-scaled one with his name engraved on the large blade.
:tu: Excellent choice :D They're a good seller too.
SAW

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 07:43:46 PM
It's really none of my business but I have to agree with you on the bike. IMO, he needs to be more responsible with his gear. :salute:

Yep. I think I'll make him "earn" the new bike by showing that he's responsible enough to properly lock and maintain his current bike.  :)  ...and I think it might be a used nice bike (like a Trek mountain bike) through Craigslist instead of a NEW bike.  Just to cut my losses, hehehe.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 09:01:21 PM

Yep. I think I'll make him "earn" the new bike by showing that he's responsible enough to properly lock and maintain his current bike.  :)  ...and I think it might be a used nice bike (like a Trek mountain bike) through Craigslist instead of a NEW bike.  Just to cut my losses, hehehe.

:tu:

When I was a child my parents would buy me a bike and fix things that wore out, but if I broke/lost anything through carelessness etc I had to pay for repair/replacement with my money (that I earnt from various jobs).  It taught me to look after my stuff, a good lesson for anyone IMO.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 10:48:17 PM
:2tu:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 11:49:26 PM
If you really trust him not to lose it, I'd bite the bullet and pay for the Champ.  At that age (at least for me) multi-tools were toys more than tools.  That isn't to say I didn't use them for real tasks here and there.  But at that age, he doesn't need dedicated tools that are perfectly chosen for given tasks.  Might as well give him a champ...it has anything he could ever need (minus real pliers), and he'll have a blast just playing with the darn thing and showing it off.  (At least if he is half the child-at-heart us multi-tool fanatics here are, he'll have a blast).

Concerns other have raised about blades at school are good ones.   

Edit: just realized you already decided.   :facepalm:  He'll love it!  Great tool. 

A nice thing with the champ, is he'll be exposed to all of Vic's tool offerings (okay, almost all) in the 91mm size, and he'll learn which tools he wants/needs and doesn't want/need on a daily base.  For when the day comes that he gets a dedicated EDC and retires the sentimental Swiss Champ to one day pass on to his son (or daughter!).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:58:33 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 03:17:45 PM
If you really trust him not to lose it, I'd bite the bullet and pay for the Champ.  At that age (at least for me) multi-tools were toys more than tools.  That isn't to say I didn't use them for real tasks here and there.  But at that age, he doesn't need dedicated tools that are perfectly chosen for given tasks.  Might as well give him a champ...it has anything he could ever need (minus real pliers), and he'll have a blast just playing with the darn thing and showing it off.  (At least if he is half the child-at-heart us multi-tool fanatics here are, he'll have a blast).

Concerns other have raised about blades at school are good ones.   

Edit: just realized you already decided.   :facepalm:  He'll love it!  Great tool. 

A nice thing with the champ, is he'll be exposed to all of Vic's tool offerings (okay, almost all) in the 91mm size, and he'll learn which tools he wants/needs and doesn't want/need on a daily base.  For when the day comes that he gets a dedicated EDC and retires the sentimental Swiss Champ to one day pass on to his son (or daughter!).

Thanks for the in-depth reply.

We talked about carrying at school, I asked if he'd rather have one without a blade, so he can carry it at school. (like maybe a bladeless Gerber MP600, Jetsetter, Dime Travel, etc.) He decided no, he doesn't need it at school, as they already have scissors there, and he has no use for the other tools.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79