Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got my e01 today, some first impressions

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Got my e01 today, some first impressions
on: August 12, 2008, 01:28:29 AM
Got my purple e01 today, happey to say it's purple instead of pink, althought a couple shades deeper would make a better purple. It appears pink on photo but the real color is deeper than that.

The machining is great, definately on par with arc, although the anodization doesn't appears to be very strong since I already have some tiny chips. It could be smaller by not having the flat side panel and reduce the overall diameter, but in reality it doesn't matter since the light is already tiny enough.

I quite like how the LED is recessed deep in reflector, so it doesn't have the annoying halo from tip of LED like arc does. The spill area is less because of this, but doesn't affect anything in use as far as I can tell. Hotspot brightness is very similar to arc ds. The hotspot is oblong shaped, but you really need to look for it to notice.

Something strange I noticed, from a fresh alkaline cell, it pulls 80 ma whereas arc ds pulls 100 ma. I was under the impression arc drives LED at 40 ma while fenix 20 ma, so I'm not sure why the battery pull difference is so small.

One thing I wish however is for them to include the clip with it. It cost ten cents tops for christ's sake, I bet it would make customers a lot happier if they included it instead of selling it for $5 seperately.

Anyway, I'm happy with the $15 light, and it will become sidekick to my EDC L1, just need to find something to put on end of the swivel.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: Got my e01 today, some first impressions
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:37:37 AM
Congrats jzmtl!  :cheers:

I got one a few weeks ago and it is a pretty great light.

Chapstick and Vick's Inhaler caps both make great diffusers for it too.  ;)

Yes, I am a bit miffed about the price for the clip too. I don't mind them charging extra for the clip since the light is such a bargain, but that is too much $$$ for such a little thing.   >:(

So far, I decided not to buy the clip. Let is know if you find it cheaper though, or find another clip that will work.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:41:37 AM by max6166 »
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:40:13 AM
If you have any of those pen type tire pressure gauge, the clip from them works, just need to bend it wider first. That's what I have on it right now. Not all will fit thou, some when widened isn't long enough to go around the light.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:34:12 AM by jzmtl »

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:58:12 AM
How sweet! Will include that in my wish list.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:25:46 AM
and the 64,000 dollar question, how's the TINT?!

I really like mine, we also have the purple (hers) and I have the orange/gold.
mines on my keychain.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:32:53 AM
Typical of 5mm led with blue hotspot and greenish spill, same as my arc aaa.

Output is decent, about the same as an incan aa minimag. I used one to walk across farmland after school (completely dark) over ten years ago and it was bright enough at the time, so e01 is pretty good.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:40:39 AM by jzmtl »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD