Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rough Rider GAK?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Rough Rider GAK?
on: November 15, 2015, 02:32:19 PM
Apparently, Rough Rider makes a copy of the second version of the 108mm German Army Knife (with nail file/match striker), made by Victorinox and others, which sells for $6.  Interesting the tang stamp is the German Eagle.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Rough+Rider/West+German+Bundeswehr+Military+Knife/MI212.html

I need to get one, as I need a saw cover/guard for a Victorinox GAK I just bought, but at the price I think I should buy a few of the knife to keep around. 

How good are these compared to the real thing?  Having just paid $20 on a used pre-1985 Victorinox GAK, I don't expect much out of the Rough Rider
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:33:41 PM by cody6268 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Rough Rider GAK?
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:52:21 PM
Not seen that one before so I can't speak to the quality of that specific model, however in general RR make a very good knife.  Not quite Vic quality but still respectable, well worth a go at $6 IMO.  I'll be very interested to hear what you make of it if you get one.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 07:35:38 PM
Would like too see one of these in the flesh  :salute:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 01:36:47 AM
Not seen that one before so I can't speak to the quality of that specific model, however in general RR make a very good knife.  Not quite Vic quality but still respectable, well worth a go at $6 IMO.  I'll be very interested to hear what you make of it if you get one.

+1.  Of all my slipjoints, my favorite for carry is a Rough Rider Barlow.  Nothing fancy, but a good solid working knife.  I'd be interested to see the GAK and hear your thoughts on it.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline shecky

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:33:28 AM
Is that a Rough Rider? I noticed scrolling through SMKW's Rough Rider models that some might be erroneously listed. One tip off is when the model isn't "RRxxxx". In this case, the model number looks to be MI212. The stuff that seems out of place are things like sword canes, Nazi nonsense knives, and the Bundeswehr knives. It's just curious that there are some goods that have no RR branding, little if anything in common with the rest of the RR line.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
Looking up close on the main blade it looks like the same emblem thats on the handle,

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 02:23:54 PM
Is that a Rough Rider? I noticed scrolling through SMKW's Rough Rider models that some might be erroneously listed. One tip off is when the model isn't "RRxxxx". In this case, the model number looks to be MI212. The stuff that seems out of place are things like sword canes, Nazi nonsense knives, and the Bundeswehr knives. It's just curious that there are some goods that have no RR branding, little if anything in common with the rest of the RR line.
Yup, my thoughts too. Probably Mil-tec at that price. Not too good of a brand as far quallity goes.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 02:50:15 PM
Yup, my thoughts too. Probably Mil-tec at that price. Not too good of a brand as far quallity goes.
Milltecs were sold by the kilo in the Kolo Bazar in Warsaw (there was a truckfull of these, flecktarn jackets and gasmasks). I was thinking of getting a couple but preferred to spend my money that day on a Wenger SI and a Victorinox  Prince.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 10:23:12 PM
If you want a GAK, get one from one of teh makers of the issued knives!
Most copies are ofsub-par quality. There may be ones as good as the real ones, but you never know.
Withot thinking too hard or looking it up, makers were:

Victorinox (Best quality IMHO)
Adler (GML Leegebruch follow up, IIRC. Good quality)
B&H (Good quality, less polished tools)
Aitor (Spanish maker, good quality, highly polished blade)
ICAR (less polished tools, springs finished rougher. Only maker I handled examples with broken springs - but only on 2 examples, might be a coincidence)
I´m sure I forgot one or two, but those are all respcetable makers.

Common copies/fakes are
Mil-Tec
Fox

The 108s are great work knives.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 05:38:13 AM
I have a Klass, but I don't think it was issue...bought as a single knife.
kc004.jpg
* kc004.jpg (Filesize: 60.93 KB)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:04:22 PM
It might very well be an issued one (maybe not your exampel, but knives from that maker) Klaas is a known german cutlery maker.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:15:55 PM by lowtech »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD