Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"MacGyver" now in Oxford Dictionaries

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
"MacGyver" now in Oxford Dictionaries
on: August 28, 2015, 05:56:51 PM
It's official: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/MacGyver

Make or repair (an object) in an improvised or inventive way, making use of whatever items are at hand:
'he MacGyvered a makeshift jack with a log'
'he has a shock of short red hair and a pair of rectangular-framed glasses MacGyvered with duct tape'

No word on SAKs, but we all know that he would have been nothing without his red one.  :climber:

See also the BBC, on How 'MacGyver' became a verb: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34075407

us Offline BADSAK

Re: "MacGyver" now in Oxford Dictionaries
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:28:31 PM
 :tu: I will use it often!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:29:34 PM by BADSAK »

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:34:45 PM
Saw that on news last night, very cool
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:48 PM
...and as a VERB too!

It's too hard to spell though. I'll just keep using 'jury-rigged.' ;)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:12:56 PM
Should there be a merit badge for MacGyvering (with a SAK of course)?
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:43:27 PM
Should there be a merit badge for MacGyvering (with a SAK of course)?
Rich

+1

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 05:35:41 AM
He did amazing thing with 2 layer SAks.  Imagine if he had a 91mm Ranger or a 111mm Hercules

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 04:03:57 PM
Never forget, everything you see on TV or in the movies or anyplace else -- NOTHING moves without a SCRIPT. There are some independent writers out there,  but to get your ideas into film or on TV you probably need to have gone to the LA Film School and taken script writing.

This isn't to throw water on this fine word, or idea - but remember it was some writer who put those words in the actors mouths and their directions on action determined the scene.

Some writer got the idea that you could do almost anything with a SAK and wrote it into the script - hence - the "McGroober" came to be. (SNL take off)

Most of us could probably write a better scene and make it more believable if we had the chance, but TV and film writing is pretty much a closed camp. That LA Film School "handshake" is the surest way into a studio's front door and getting your script at least read by some third hand underling who will pass only the better ones onto somebody who can make decisions as to which script to produce and which ones go into the "Sorry we cannot use your contribution" letter.

Ask me, I know - wife writes, has a dozen books in print and has had at least one consideration to make the book into a script - but went no place due to she is not from the LA Film School - that from somebody on the inside who knows what is going on and tipped us off. We have pursued this and asked the recommended person who is in the position to produce a script from a book (Script Doctor) to please read the thing and give us their thoughts -- will keep ya posted on that one.

So when you watch TV action shows or big splash movies remember - this is one person's thoughts and impressions you are watching, not some director's or producer's project. They bought the script and are now making it into a visual art - using the script as their guide.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 08:58:12 PM
What! You mean the stuff we see on TV isn't real!!!????  Gee, I'd never had guessed it. At least SAKs are :-)  Still think we need a MacGyver merit badge.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline RiverGhost

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 12:59:38 AM
I agree :tu:  Not withstanding MacGyver was more than a "show" at face value, it gave me the mindset that you can do things with what is around you.  I EDC 550 cord and duct tape and they come in handy all the time.  I also carry a small bag of odds n ends in my work truck that is invaluable.  But.....I can and have used what is around me, the human mind is the ultimate tool  :-)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%