Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Practical EDC?

Smaug · 27 · 2109

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Practical EDC?
on: August 29, 2015, 07:35:05 AM
I've noticed it is kind of a fad to make "EDC" or "bug-out bags". There are some good ideas out there, but it seems like they're mostly for unrealistic doomsday scenarios, rather than things that have a good chance of being used.

For example fire starting gear, knife sharpening gear, water filters... all for fantasy situations inspired by movies and fueled by the internet.

Have any of you guys made an EDC bag with contents that are actually useful, day-to-day?

I'm thinking of things like anti-diarrhea pills, sunscreen, maybe bug spray, maybe a Vic Classic to back up the bigger knife or MT you're carrying, alcohol wipes, water, a spare pair of socks...  You know, stuff that is not glamorous, but genuinely useful.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Practical EDC?
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:22:13 AM
Only bag I've had like that was specific for some wider range of home repair and demolition work. While I get the ideas behind bug out bags and all that, most of them are overkill and not very well thought out camping ready bags
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 09:52:38 AM
I don't have a doomsday pack because when doomsday come, I am holding out where I am as long as possible, (hopefully at home where i have food water weapons and ammo)
There will be plenty of time for me to pack when we decided to move out.

My Surge kit in my computer bag, every work day everywhere I go.

I will post photos of our "going out for a day of fun" backpack later

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:55:49 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:24:25 AM

I agree, this is my "edc", I also made a bag with practical things like electrical tape, tissues, bug spray, small first aid kit with eye drops, sanitizer, sun screen etc. I think this is a great topic. A bug out bag might save your life, but chances are when that day comes we will be  bombed into oblivion. But I won't get eaten alive by mosquito.

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 11:16:22 AM
That counts? Then maybe I do have those things
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 11:32:48 AM
I'm thinking of things like anti-diarrhea pills, sunscreen, maybe bug spray, maybe a Vic Classic to back up the bigger knife or MT you're carrying, alcohol wipes, water, a spare pair of socks...  You know, stuff that is not glamorous, but genuinely useful.
A bug out bag might save your life, but chances are when that day comes we will be  bombed into oblivion. But I won't get eaten alive by mosquito.

Perhaps these are Bug Off Bags?

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 12:36:00 PM
I follow a more tiered approach. ITS Tactical wrote a decent article about tier or leveling your gear though I've been following this same approach for over 20 years.  I used to live near Alagheny National Forest and have been caught and stranded in several blizzards, floods and tornados, then I lived in Nevada and relaxed in the canyons where a flat combined with the heat can get you dead quick, now I'm on the gulf coast in flash flood and hurricane country. So I have had need in several instances to either find a way to get to safety or shelter in place.

My first tier is what is on me, in my pockets or on my belt, second tier is whatever backpack, possible bag or lunch box I happen to be using at the time, and third is my car or truck.

I'll jump to second since first is as much a matter of preferred dress as EDC preparedness.
Basically second is a small pocket first aid kit (basic otc stuff in a tin), a few multi tool/accessories that I use frequently but are too heavy or bulky to keep directly on me, and a large bandana or shemagh all packed up tight so it doesn't take more than a small secondary pouch in my bag. Tools like my gator grip socket, Guppie, eat n tool, and Lm bit kit to name a few. You know the sometimes handy extra stuff.
 No dooms day, zombie apocalypse stuff here just a few thing to make the problems of a day out a little smoother.

Third is my car or truck. This second bag is not a bug out-head for the hills affair but rather based around a large medical kit stuffed in a 18in carpenters tool bag.
To a large campers first aid kit I've added; 2 IFAK blowout kits, 3 ration bars, Tea bags, a small premade hikers kit, a Swedish rocket stove/canteen, cordage, 3L Water, Sawyer mini water filter. There's some odds and ends thrown in for comfort like a deck of cards, hard candy, spare glasses and a crank radio.
I know this is not a complete list but it is far from the crazy prepper thing most Armchair Rambos fanaticize about; No super knife, No ultra sniper MK37 rifle, No Zombie crusher 5k war club, No build a super fortified luxury wifi enabled log cabin over night.

This kit is not meant for anything more than a couple days in place or to get me and my wife home safely. And its certainly not meant to "bug out" anywhere. The waiting, the boredom, the evacuation, it all sucks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:50:59 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 01:44:13 PM
If "the less crap on you, the more practical it is" is the philosophy here, then I probably win, lol.

I don't have a BOB or a doomsday pack or anything like that although I tried to make one several times. What my so called "BOB" contains is:

- My secondary netbook (I work online and it's important overall)\
- cash
- important documents
- a small blade
- 1 AA and 1 AAA light

On me daily I carry:

1.bare essentials:

- wallet (two band-aids always there)
- phone
- keys

2. Other stuff I use but could go by without:

- 1 or 2 flashlights
- 1 knife or MT and probably a SAK classic or PS4 or Micra to complement the main one
- pepper spray
- Maxped. Mini Organizer with phone charger, external phone battery, some more cables, flash drive, overall, stuff for electronic devices. And two spare AAAs.

I believe that whatever the emergency situation, cash will still be king and get us what we need. Important goods will just cost more as people will all hope that the, whatever apocalypse it is, apocalypse will go away soon and they'll be able to enjoy the earned cash afterwards.

We've got earthquakes, we've got floods. If people survive these (and no MT will help while they're lasting), all they need later is money money money money and resources to get water delivered, to get blankets delivered, to get their houses re-built.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:47:04 PM by N_N_R »

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 02:27:17 PM
You are right about needing money. But try and buy something when the powers been out for a week and all the stores are closed because nobody does anything without computerized inventory tracking and registers. Look to stories of the NE Blackout; no damage, plenty of goods, no working gas pumps but full storage tanks and no retail sales of anything.

Often after a storm you can get more help from people for a 6 pack or a pack of smokes than cash.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 04:27:16 PM
Never really been a bug out bag kinda guy, but I'll keep things that help prevent inconveniences.  And most of that is because I have little kids.  So snacks, water, change of clothes, toys/distractions, small first aid,  etc. live in the minivan.  I'll add tools, phone charger, spare batteries.  The only time I carry a bag anymore (aside from hiking/outdoor stuff) is a diaper bag/backpack when it's just me and the kids.  In that case, it's just smaller versions of what I keep in the car.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 08:06:56 PM
My personal EDC (in my signature) is geared toward those scenarios I DO run into on at least a weekly basis.  Pen, pencil, sharpie, keys, wallet, cell phone, flashlight, lighter, multitool.

I built a 72-hour bug-out bag in case of hurricane evacuation.  Change of clothes, first aid kit, snacks, bottled water, a few tools.  I tend to use it a couple times a year (and thus switch out the perishables) on outings to the mountains when I serve a local ultramarathon.

I built a 24-hour fanny pack kit to be a smaller version of the above.  It permanently lives in my car and if I'm going to wander out of sight of the vehicle, I've got a couple granola bars, a hunk of beef jerky, a few feet of string, a poncho, a space blanket, a flashlight, some kleenex and some bandaids/aspirin/immodium with me.  Not so much "In case of zombie insurgents" and more "In case of hungry at the train station."
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 11:02:27 PM
I have a backpack that I take with me to work.  I keep some spare clothing,  my lunch, a sharpener for my knife and multi tool, and a lighter and ferro rod in there. Oh and an extra headlamp and flashlight.  I figure that if a natural disaster happens while I'm at work there is some extra cash I keep in my wallet and I have no issues raiding/ liberating anything extra I need on my way home. I would certainly keep a list and payback when the opportunity comes available.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 04:07:04 AM
I've noticed it is kind of a fad to make "EDC" or "bug-out bags". There are some good ideas out there, but it seems like they're mostly for unrealistic doomsday scenarios, rather than things that have a good chance of being used.

The problem is you are comparing three different things. EDC is just that, every day carry. That's the stuff that you drag about with you every day or nearly so (and the days you can't carry something is the day you REALLY need it). A bug out bag is the hardware side of your refugee plan. And then you have the run off and play robinson crusoe bags set up for everything from aliens to zombies, sometimes called "I'm never coming home" or "INCH" bags.

A bug out bag is just that, your bag that is ready to get you out of the house in 10 minutes or less with the knowledge you might not be coming home again (fire, flood, earthquake) or at least for a few days. Currently, I live in a basement apartment half a mile from train tracks, and I've watched both containers and tanker cars with scary DOT placards run past there. My BoB is to get me out of the apartment and in my car without pausing to grab to much, get to high ground and wait for a few days, with the plan of staying on high ground and humping it cross country to a more perminant bug out location for a few days if I can't safely drive down the hill. There are other scenarios that it is set up for as well. This is that "72-hour kit" ever government agency says you should have- they don't tell you it will take five days to get them in motion, so you better plan on 120 hours.

The debate between a BoB and an INCH often leads to communication through seconds. I'm going to say if I never again see a "BoB" with a conibear trap or a copy of the Ranger handbook again I'll have one fewer grumble in the urn. INCH is a suicide plan or a deceleration of intent to turn raider and brigand, depending on how much ammo you have. I"m also going to invite anyone who isn't sure which they have to google "duncan long backpack fever" and read. Say what you will about Mr Long, not everything I have to say about him is kind, but this essay should be stickied at the top of every forum on emergency prep on the internet that wants sane readers.

These are very much different things than EDC. EDC is the stuff you feel funny without. EDC is the reason why you look at the scale at the doctor's office, frown and say their scale adds a couple kilos, then you laugh and empty out your pockets. Minimum EDC, IMHO, for all adults should be simple tools (leatherman or SAK), something that cuts (a dedicated folder or very small fixed blade is my choice, but you can skimp it on the multitool), something to shine a light, something to write on, something to write with, something to prove you are you, and the local medium of commerce (with at least some cash to back it up).

So. Which one do you want to talk about? Because the comparison is like trying to compare a screwdriver, an apple, and a petrified horse apple.  :D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 05:46:20 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 06:06:07 AM
I am still relatively new at the whole concept, but when putting together our emergency car kit we put things that would help us face probable danger. So we packed small first aid kit, aa and aaa batteries, fold up shovel, multitool, bit kit, and a few other things. Our biggest concern is first aid and staying warm in case we are caught in a blizzard, or the car stops because of freezing weather. I don't see the point of preparing for a hurricane disaster in the midwest. :shrug:

All that to say I believe everyone should prepare for what they are most likely to encounter on a year to year basis. If it's an earthquake, hurricane, blizzard, or hydration, you should have a few items that will benefit your scenario. How would it feel to be ready for a zombie apocalypse, but not have a band aid for your daughters paper cut? :facepalm:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 10:45:31 AM
I often see people form USA saying that they have a small first aid kit in their car as if that was something unusual. In the EU the first aid kit in the car is mandatory is that not the case in USA?
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 03:05:52 PM
I often see people form USA saying that they have a small first aid kit in their car as if that was something unusual. In the EU the first aid kit in the car is mandatory is that not the case in USA?
No it's not. Where I live, liability insurance only became required in the last few years.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 04:34:42 PM
No it's not. Where I live, liability insurance only became required in the last few years.

I thought so.  :tu:

On related note EDC should also be mandatory so I would't look so strange to other more civilized people!  :rofl:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 04:46:14 PM
@Ironraven  :tu: terrific post.
@Sakguy thanks for the link.

EDC to me refers to on person carry items, MT, SAK, light, personal 1st aid etc.   
If you have never been evacuated then it's hard to describe the haste at which you are packing stuff into a bag not knowing when you might return home. 
I have an evacuation bag on the ready but this is only for evacuation purposes.  I'm like many, I plan to bug in which is why I have supplies here at home ready.   

Camping/Hiking gear is separate which includes fire kits and such.  Yes it can be used if evacuated to a large area like a field, park, parking lot etc but its really just for camping or hiking 

I forget who said it but some of these kits/bags have become hobbies.  It seems some have taken to assemble comprehensive kits mostly for fun and or really big "what ifs" type scenarios.     
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:47:46 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 05:59:02 PM
I try to carry a "Practical Setup"

Inspired by Kokkolis, I use one small organizer that transfers between backpacks.

I have a backpack for school, freshwater fishing, salt water fishing, work, truck, and a box for the beach. Each of these has sunblock and bug spray. Always.

But the smaller things get transferred in this.

Quick Access: Preon 2, Lighter, Chapstick, Campo-Phinique, Abreva.

Inside is stuff mainly for work but it's all seen use all over my hobbies.

Left Panel, Pen, 4" and 6" Zip ties, torx  drive pen for LM, Case XX, tape Measure, and the only thing missing is Field Notes and 2 AAs.

Right Panel, WD40 pen, leatherman OHT (Usually my wingman, but my Wave is off for replacement) gloves, nail clippers, paper clips, bandaids, 4" Crescent Wrench, 8" Zip Ties, Bug Bite Itch Relief.

Usually once a week I'll update the pack, usually removing things. I have always had a trend for packing too much.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 11:09:33 PM
Have any of you guys made an EDC bag with contents that are actually useful, day-to-day?

Yes, exactly. 

I use a Maxpedition Mongo as a Man Sack.  For me, its the right combo of big on the inside and not gigantic on the outside.  I use it basically as a daily convenience bag.  It stays in my vehicle, and goes into church with me.  My mother-in-law seems to get hospitalized in the middle of the night, and I can grab the Man Sack and have plenty of stuff to make my emergency room visit doable.

Contents (that I can remember):

- Nexus 7
- 2x 16,000 mAh Anker batteries
- various device and phone chargers and adapters
- book, legal pads, pens, Sharpie, etc.
- large MT, Vic Explorer and other toys
- first aid kit
- module with earplugs, mints, dental floss, eye drops, lighter, cash and other convenience items
- Advil, Tums, anti-diarrhea, etc.
- Clif bars, walnuts
- Nalgene bottle

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Mongo-Versipack-p1332.htm
http://store.nalgene.com/Water-Bottle-On-the-Fly-p/otf.htm
http://www.ianker.com/support/A1208011

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 11:57:25 PM
Nothing too crazy, just something I keep it near by other than what I carry on person.
Baiyao is included in both kits, it is a magic powder for stop bleeding, fast!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunnan_Baiyao
The Backpack I carry when family go out, if we are entering theme park, the knives must stay in car.

Car kit, enough for four of us last 48~72 hours, most of them stay in the cooler.
IMG_4785.JPG
* IMG_4785.JPG (Filesize: 196.97 KB)
IMG_4786.JPG
* IMG_4786.JPG (Filesize: 288.67 KB)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:18:50 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 12:54:11 AM
In addition to my phone, an MT, a pen, paper, and a lighter, here are few other things I always like to have in various EDC bags:

A mini duct tape roll: http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Inches-Rolls/dp/B004H87UGS/. Need I say more? :)

And at least a lipstick sized backup charger (if not a larger model): http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Generation-Astro-mini-Lipstick-Sized/dp/B005X1Y7I2/

This mini FAK in an Aloksak that I've duplicated and put in every EDC bag:
Before I started carrying it, there were too many times I wished I had an antihistimine, something to bandage a cut or scrape and clean it, a pepto bismal, tweezers (there are some Uncle Bills in there), pain reliever, etc. Since there was room, I threw in a pack of steri strips.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 09:06:51 PM
Forgot to say my contact info is printed on them dogtags. They are for my boys when we go to crowded places, in case they got separated and forgot my phone #.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 09:57:54 PM
No EDC for me because EDD (every day is different)

I used to bag carry loads of useful stuff, but after a while it wasn't working out too well as I was always too far from my bag to get what I needed. That's why I started pocket carrying everything.

I still pack a bag occasionally, and pack what I need plus a few extra bits for just in case. Again, those extra bits vary according to what I reasonably expect I might have to deal with.

Winter time, the car gets loaded up with more goodies, so I can dug the tyres out, chuck a bit or rock salt down, make a cup of tea or soup, or even just bundle up warm waiting for help.

If travelling, it depends where I'm going, what I'll be doing there, how far it is, how long I'm stopping, who else is there, what I know I'm likely to have to deal with, and what else may potentially crop up.

I like options. I don't have a set kit or even packing list. Set kits and lists are restrictive for me, and limits the flexibility I may have to deal with whatever arises. I also have no pre-packed bags which which to disappear into the woods and live like a total nut job. I have had floods affect my life, but that was a very unusual event. I don't have to worry about tornadoes, quakes, tsunamis, eruptions, or hoardes of gun wielding crazies. If I did, I would likely deal with that by getting the smurf out of there, and living somewhere calmer.

For the most part, the flora and fauna here, and the societal structure, mean the planning for significant events include maintaining lines of communication with friends and family, having a bit extra food in the freezer, a few lights and tools, a camp stove and gas, a few quid in my wallet, and an open mind.

I have no evac plans, no bunker, no arsenal of weapons, no significant reserves of any kind, and no shadow in my mind lurking and whispering in my ear about what great catastrophe might befall me. I like that. If something happens I can choose to go or stay. If I choose to go, it won't be far, and most people will be transfixed to the news, facebook or twitter so I shouldn't have any more traffic to deal with than normal.

Maybe in other parts of the world, guns, reserves, bunkers, equipment, and rondezvous points are all sensible precautions for the world they live in. Here, I'm more likely to get a knock on the door from a neighbour asking politely for help or to see how you're doing than someone kicking the door in to rape and pillage.

Yes, things may change one day, but I'm not going to live in fear of it or model the way I live around it. You see, right now, I have no idea what that "it" might be, or what might need doing about it. This little part of the world is not immune to any crisis which may befall anywhere else, but neither is it more likely to experience any one particular type of crisis, and I can't foresee any crisis for which a sensible response is to run into the woods and start rubbing sticks together. YMMV  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:03 AM
I would like to start the debate of duck tape vs electrical tape. I personally find electrical tape to be more useful for a broader spectrum.  I like it's elasticity, that fact that it won't stick forever to an object, which makes it better for first aid application imo. Thoughts?

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:39 PM
I would like to start the debate of duck tape vs electrical tape. I personally find electrical tape to be more useful for a broader spectrum.  I like it's elasticity, that fact that it won't stick forever to an object, which makes it better for first aid application imo. Thoughts?

Generally, I prefer electrical tape over duck tape too. I'll only use duck tape if there's something massive to be done.

I also love gaffer tape. I haven't tried it but I suspect it can be useful for first aid also. I EDC some wrapped around a big BIC lighter.

:b2t:

Great post by ironraven :salute: I pocket carry my main EDC - Vic Pioneer, alox Rambler attached to a Fenix E01, small Bic lighter in keys pouch, Fenix LD09.

Then, my EDC bag contains a small first aid kit that needs a better case and improvement, a note block and a note book, pens, lead holder pencil, sharpie, Vic Handyman + Spirit combo, two pieces of cord (5m in total), a small sewing kit with needles of various sizes from sewing to yarn needles, handkerchief, tissues, hand sanitizer, baby wipes, SIGG bottle, Fenix LD12, spare battery cells, a folding magnifying lens 2 x 4x, BIC lighter with gaffer tape wrapped around it. I may be forgetting something as I'm slyly typing this from work but I think that's all. I've still to find a bag that really suits me, be it a messenger's bag or a daypack :-\

My BOB bag kinda sounds like a INCH bag after all... It is there because of the fear of a big earthquake. I'll have to expand on that one later  :ahhh 
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD