Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Army repair problem

us Offline beautyfish

• New User
Swiss Army repair problem
on: September 06, 2015, 10:26:13 PM
Hello -

I have a basic model knife that I got in the late 1970s.  I used the loop to carry my keys, and after MANY years, the loop simply wore out.  I sent the knife to Victorinox USA for repair, and they did what I guess was the highest level of support.......they sent my knife back, unrepaired, along with a brand new knife of the same model!  The problem is, I really have a sentimental attachment to the original knife, and would like to get it back up to snuff again.  I took it to a local jeweler, who tried to solder some extra material to the loop, but it just broke again in a few days.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this problem? Clearly, removing the rivets and replacing the component containing the loop, then adding new rivets was probably way more expensive for Victorinox than just sending me a new knife, and I imagine it would cost me a ton of money to have this done on my own.  I'm just hoping for an alternative that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount in labor.

I'm attaching pics of the original knife, the replacement, and a closeup of the broken and poorly repaired loop.

Thanks!!

IMG_0733.jpg
* IMG_0733.jpg (Filesize: 294.55 KB)
IMG_0734.jpg
* IMG_0734.jpg (Filesize: 259.94 KB)
IMG_0735.jpg
* IMG_0735.jpg (Filesize: 211.22 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Swiss Army repair problem
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:33:57 PM
Just a thought, to avoid structural work on the knife (which is what it would take to repair it) how about a leather sheath with popper on the flap which sits on your keyring?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 10:37:48 PM
Ya the only way to repair it properly would be to drill out that rivet and put a new keyring piece in, then re-rivet.  Not a huge job, but the problem is trying to get the rivet to look as good as factory.  I can never get them exactly perfect which is why I do the pivot and screw method.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:14:57 AM
Carry the replacement, and put the old one in a visible place.  It's hard to lose something, especially if you've carried it so long.  No need to tear it apart and make a mistake trying to repair it.

I have all the knives I inherited, and most are never carried, for fear of loss or damage.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:15:18 AM
In order to have this serviced properly you need to send it to victorinox in Switzerland. They can and will fix it.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 03:49:21 PM
I'm surprised they sent you one free. Normally when I send in a SAK for repair, they send me back a note saying that I can buy a new one at half price, and they keep the old one. Maybe times have changed.

Here again, like a said in a very early post on custom SAKS, there should be some cutlery outfit, licensed by Vic to do repairs, or make custom units. I am surprised that somebody hasn't picked up on this idea.

Maybe one of the MOD people would think about starting a full service cutlery biz catering to the SAK crowd.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 03:58:41 PM
I understand you wanting it repaired but IMO, Vic provided a fair remedy to the problem. I consider this good customer service.

As others have said, it's time to retire this one and keep it safe at home attached to all your memories and likewise, start new memories with the new one they sent you. :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:59:38 PM
I understand you wanting it repaired but IMO, Vic provided a fair remedy to the problem. I consider this good customer service.

As others have said, it's time to retire this one and keep it safe at home attached to all your memories and likewise, start new memories with the new one they sent you. :cheers:
+2
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 05:31:03 PM
Send it to Syph. Ask him to put in threaded pivots and do the repair. Consider the lack of rivets additional patina. Another part of its journey with you.

If they sent you a replacement old cross that would be amazing. Was it a new shield red replacement?

Wow just reread this. I am assuming you sent it in in the 90s to get that old cross replacement?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:32:57 PM by VoetSak »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 05:31:47 PM
To be honest, I can understand if the OP considers it a lucky talisman of sorts and wants to keep carrying it, which is why I suggested the keyring sheath.

I also agree that Victorinox have done a great job with providing a replacement AND returning the old one.

I picked my first home grown apple off my tree earlier today, and used an old carbon steel Sheffield made slippie to eat it with. That knife was a gift when I was in my late teens, but there was something nice using that old friend to eat my first home grown apple. Sadly that knife spends a lot of time in a drawer and not in my pocket, but every time I use it, it's like meeting up with old friend. It may not be carried everyday, but it will never retire  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

si Offline Jim Hunter

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 02:02:58 PM
@beautyfish : You can ask to have you knive back to factory at Ibach , Switzerland to have the loop replaced.It will cost you just the shipping.
I am sure that your US distributor of Victorinox can do that for you but you can also sent it directly to them , they will fix it and ship it back to you free of charge.
I have all the info if you decide to sent it out.They also can replace any other worn or damaged part at no cost.
Around time is two months aprx.

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21