Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the difference between regular and EOD version? And what model do I have?

jzmtl · 21 · 4328

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
From what I can tell the only difference is the addition of blast cap crimper, but the website use the same photo for both.  ???

So what is the blast cap crimper on the EOD version, what substitute it on the regular version? 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:35:54 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: What's the difference between regular and EOD version?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 12:23:28 AM
I think the problem is the cap crimper is now standard on all the 2.0 heads whereas before it was limited to the EOD models?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 12:44:06 AM
So where the cap crimper is now, what was there on standard model?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 12:53:16 AM
It was just labeled as a "crimper." I think designed for general electronics. I'll get a picture when I get home so you can see it.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 02:20:02 AM
I think it was a larger crimper and a smaller crimper (the smaller of which is still on the EOD model).
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 05:35:36 AM
I found a couple of pics for the old plier head, so now the question is what the heck do I have here? Got this from ebay $42 shipped, supposely brand new and the guy's got dozen of them.

So big old handle with old lock and exposed gear

With tools exactly as S62 powerlock with v-cutter.

But new gen of plier head?

The v-cutter is really dinky, and the plastic spacer is just lame. Going to swap the v-cutter for serrated line cutter, spacer for robertson, and hot wax the sheath for maximum water resistance. Oh well at least SOG ship parts for free instead of $10 like leatherman.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:41:28 AM by jzmtl »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
That is the S62... different from the standard PowerLock S60 because it has the V Cutter instead of the scissors.  That is also the new plier head, with the integrated cap crimper.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

I was under the impression S62 would have gear cover, at least that's what the pic on sog's website shows.  ???

Actually never mind, the new plier head seem to have replaced the older one even in 2007.

So now s60/61, s62/63 are basically the same thing with the introduction of new pliers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:25:07 AM by jzmtl »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Yup- the gear covers were added later on, so older versions of the same tool won't have them.

Besides the plier heads and gear covers, you can also look for piano key locks, which signify a newer model.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

The handle cover seems to be different too.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
On a side note, why are blast crimpers becoming so common on MTs? Is it really something the average person needs on their multitool? I am just curious - I barely even know what they are for...  ???
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
I'd hazard to say that it's because they are an extremely easy and cheap way to add another feature to the tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Okay then here's a question:

Has anyone here actually used a blasting cap crimper for its intended purpose? ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
You mean anyone other than the EOD people here, I assume...  ;)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
You mean anyone other than the EOD people here, I assume...  ;)

Well yes that, but actually I wonder if anyone crimps even regular wire connectors with it?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
It works well to put a head on a coaxial cable, like the one that goes into the back of most TV, VCR and DVD players.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
I've had such miserable experience with Electrical Connexions over the years that I cry when I have to use anything other than a proper Crimper.

(I don't think I've ever had to use a multi to crimp something in anger)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
I see the crimpers as being a pretty much useless feature.  Those who do crimping will either have a proper set of crimpers as the ones on MT's are just not good enough, or they would do what I used to and use the cutters.
I'm back!!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
EOD models as show on the chart containing specific EOD tools ( 61/63/66/67/69 ) which would be the blasting cap crimper and the C4 punch are pretty much job specific tools. It should be noted only the models to have the C4 punch are the 67 and 69.  . C-4 INFORMATION  The picture in the top right shows two blasting caps being inserted to the holes that possible could be made by the C4 Punch. 

Prior to the SOG's EOD specific multitools  blasters used a set of blasters crimpers made of non-sparking bronz/brass where the end of one of the handles was an exposed punch to make the hole in the C4 / TNT / dynamite / etc.  and the end of the other handle was a useless screw driver. The screw driver was not use as intended  because the metal was so soft it would self destruct itself 5 seconds after you attemped to remove a screw. More cases of dynamite in wooden boxes had the covers pried off with the screw driver than used for anything else.

Okay then here's a question:
Has anyone here actually used a blasting cap crimper for its intended purpose? ???

Not so much now as most of my work is instructing in EOD and HazMat operations.

When I was a full time EOD technician ( 1967 to 1995 ) I would have a Dupont blasters crimper on my belt in a leather pouch every day, now it's one  of my highly  modified SOG multitools.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:40:12 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Like has already been said I just use a reg wire crimper if I am doing anything that needs crimping :)

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: What model do I have?
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 02:45:17 AM
I got an used eBay SOG PowerLock ( marked on handle ) which has all the tools listed on the chart for a  B31 Paratool EXCEPT the multiple angled plier head,  it came with an SOG logo canvas sheath. The hex nuts have not been removed as far as I can tell - no signs of having been removed.. Anyone have an idea what model it is?  No "V"  cutter, it's not an EOD version, wire stripper and wire cutter are present as well as , saw, file, straight and full serrated blades, and other tools. It just does not match up to anything on the chart.

Did SOG customize PowerLocks for government, customized for large lot customers, other ideas.

TIA
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 03:03:38 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87