Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I get it?

Demel · 17 · 2156

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Should I get it?
on: October 17, 2015, 10:26:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00267KIQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1445113204&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=schrade+tough+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=41H86HYIQvL&ref=plSrch

I've been wanting to try off brand multis. And I know Schrade isn't made is the US anymore but wanted to know if for $20 was the tough tool worth it?  What do you think?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Should I get it?
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:27:29 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00267KIQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1445113204&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=schrade+tough+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=41H86HYIQvL&ref=plSrch

I've been wanting to try off brand multis. And I know Schrade isn't made is the US anymore but wanted to know if for $20 was the tough tool worth it?  What do you think?

Im thinking get that other day..  :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:29:48 PM
What appealed to you?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:30:46 PM
What appealed to you?

I like scissor. i might HACKED that to BLAST-OFF..  :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 11:46:57 PM
Jsews (Bob) saw one at the shot show a few years back, picked it up, squeezed the pliers, and they deformed in his hand. He said he didn't need to squeeze that hard to bend the handles either.

On this occasion, I would avoid like the plague. Unless of course you're thinking of getting one to see if you can crush them more than Bob did  :D Pics of before and after are knocking about on here somewhere  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:28:19 AM
Yes, I was there when Bob crushed the so called Tough Tool in his hand.

I would not pay $5 for a current issue POS Schrade tool.  I have openly challenged Taylor (the company that items the rights to the Schrade name) to provide a tool that isn't smurf, and after nine years they have never stepped up.

Horrible tools and I wouldn't waste money on it.  Taylor didn't put any money into manufacturing it so you shouldn't put any money into buying it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:16 AM
Yes, I was there when Bob crushed the so called Tough Tool in his hand.

I would not pay $5 for a current issue POS Schrade tool.  I have openly challenged Taylor (the company that items the rights to the Schrade name) to provide a tool that isn't smurf, and after nine years they have never stepped up.

Horrible tools and I wouldn't waste money on it.  Taylor didn't put any money into manufacturing it so you shouldn't put any money into buying it.

Def

Jsews (Bob) saw one at the shot show a few years back, picked it up, squeezed the pliers, and they deformed in his hand. He said he didn't need to squeeze that hard to bend the handles either.

On this occasion, I would avoid like the plague. Unless of course you're thinking of getting one to see if you can crush them more than Bob did  :D Pics of before and after are knocking about on here somewhere  ;)
Sounds fair enough. I am always willing to try underdog tools but not without consulting the gurus first. Thanks for your input 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:48:44 AM
What's worse is that when I saw the title to this thread my immediate thought was "of course you should get it, whatever it is. You aren't a real man unless you have at least one __________."

Then I opened the thread and saw what it was you were taking about and I immediately got serious to make sure you didn't waste money on it.  Yes, that's how bad it is- even I can't find anything funny about it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 01:56:44 AM
Fortunately I've never handled a newer "Tough" Tool.  I have a US made 1st generation that is a tank.  My old boss had a 2nd generation one that lives up to its name, still being fully operational after being run over by a fire truck! :o My advice is save your pennies and get a real one. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 02:11:29 AM
I may check ebay to see if one pops up. It would be nice to get one from its hayday. It's hard to believe they can be so bad. When they moved manufactoring to China did they not send their machines too?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 07:24:10 AM
Just got a nib one of these for 6 usd shipped... and it feels like I spent 3 dollars too much. Still it will stay in the glovebox as beater pliers/prybar...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:14:46 PM
I may check ebay to see if one pops up. It would be nice to get one from its hayday. It's hard to believe they can be so bad. When they moved manufactoring to China did they not send their machines too?

Taylor Cutlery is famous for cutting every corner they can and presenting the cheapest product possible.  They also make Smith & Wesson branded knives.   

I think they only bought the rights to the name and designs of Schrade when Schrade went under.  They then sent the designs to the lowest bidder and had them produce the tools and knives which were then sold at the original US made price making a sweet profit.

I don't mean to rant too much, but what really burns my smurf about these is that they are actually issued to Australian soldiers.  While it is really the Australian bean counters that are to blame, I am also very much against Taylor for even making a bid for military contacts knowing their products are some of the worst tools on the market.

Def

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 04:11:37 AM
Just an update, every now and again I look at this and think, "well I could just try it" and then think about all you trusted folks here and reply, "self:  :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: NO"

One other thing I noticed while trolling youtube, I noticed all the "reviews" on this tool and not one of them looks used AT ALL! every video looks like the tool is fresh out of the box and they guy saying this is a pretty good tool. That in it of itself makes a bigger case why I shouldn't get it. very sad. As quirky as the design is, I kind of like it.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 06:21:33 AM
Somewhat different, but interesting. Earlier this year I picked up a Schrade Little Finger sheath knife. The knife uses left-over US made blades, but is assembled in China with pakkawood handles. Overall its a decent quality little knife. Even the sheath is well made. So at least a few of Schrade's current products aren't junk.

IMG_6857.JPG
* IMG_6857.JPG (Filesize: 26.5 KB)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 03:28:42 PM
I don't mean to rant too much, but what really burns my smurf about these is that they are actually issued to Australian soldiers.  While it is really the Australian bean counters that are to blame, I am also very much against Taylor for even making a bid for military contacts knowing their products are some of the worst tools on the market.

IIRC, in the past they were issued Swisstools.  Can you imagine, going from a Swisstool to this overpriced piece of junk?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 05:17:43 PM

Somewhat different, but interesting. Earlier this year I picked up a Schrade Little Finger sheath knife. The knife uses left-over US made blades, but is assembled in China with pakkawood handles. Overall its a decent quality little knife. Even the sheath is well made. So at least a few of Schrade's current products aren't junk.
That's actually quite nice looking! :tu:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 10:32:05 PM

IIRC, in the past they were issued Swisstools.  Can you imagine, going from a Swisstool to this overpriced piece of junk?

Yes they did formerly use Swiss tools and replaced them with these awful pieces of monkey excrement.  I'm sure someone got a bonus for saving a pile of taxpayer money by switching.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%