Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

VW in hot water!

AdmSlc · 51 · 2421

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: VW in hot water!
Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 11:08:10 AM
According to what I've been reading in the newspaper (what a vice...) there's a lot of filth in this story and politics is, of course, concerned. In accordance with forum rules I won't get deeper into that part. Waiting to see what happens next.

I am surprised that some people are surprised though. Does anyone believe big, multinational companies are run by saints?

The more we sell, more money we make, simple.....

By the way mate 10.000kms a year, Hum i wish, I'm doing at least 3000km a month....

Wow. I like driving but I think 3000km/month would be too much for me!
VW - Raccoon.jpg
* VW - Raccoon.jpg (Filesize: 54.49 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 11:12:15 AM
We are used to such scandals in my country. Siemens bribed politicians, Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH - Ferrostaal sold us dipping submarines (the bribbed minister is in jail) etc.

Not to get political but I want to see how the German government will deal with this story, after having said all these things about moral duty, abiding by the rules, ethics and al that hot air in regard to Greek debt...

It is worth noting that both the European Commission and the German Ministry of Transports were already aware of this... issue... two and three years prior to today.

VW - Cartoon.jpg
* VW - Cartoon.jpg (Filesize: 134.33 KB)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:20:31 AM by firiki »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 11:21:24 AM
VW - Train.jpg
* VW - Train.jpg (Filesize: 46.11 KB)

gr Offline firiki

Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 11:23:06 AM
VW - TDI.jpg
* VW - TDI.jpg (Filesize: 42.41 KB)

gr Offline firiki

Reply #34 on: September 29, 2015, 11:26:12 AM
VW - Wolfsburg.jpg
* VW - Wolfsburg.jpg (Filesize: 43.47 KB)

gr Offline firiki

Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 11:21:02 AM
VW began selling cars in UK with cheat software in 2008

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/12/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0S61R820151012

Volkswagen's U.S. chief executive told American lawmakers last week that the rigging of tests was not a company decision but the result of actions by a small number of engineers.

UK boss Willis said he thought it was implausible that senior officials at Volkswagen knew about the test-rigging.

VW ordered to recall 2.4 million cars in Germany

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34536573

Meanwhile, Italian police have raided VW offices in Verona and Lamborghini offices in Bologna.

Reports suggest Italian prosecutors are investigating alleged commercial fraud.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly, authorities here in Greece are still sleeping... Sure, they've got many hot potatoes in their hands but I feel they should be cracking down on the offending car manufacturer.

the rigging of tests was not a company decision but the result of actions by a small number of engineers.

Call me a cynic but I find that statement suspiciously convenient.

:popcorn:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 11:49:44 AM
I saw that there are other manufacturers that may have been doing similar cheats.

Also in the Spanish news there's rumours that SEAT is trying to part ways with VAG.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 10:52:08 AM
Yes, other manufacturers have probably gone down the same path, too, though as far as I know for the time being only VW has been called out. This is important because VW is one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world and represents a great deal of Germany's GDP as well. According to Wikipedia, Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania, Neoplan and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles marques.

There's more to it: Volkswagen's threat to the German model - by Wolfgang Munchau, The Financial Times. You may want to search that by title as their website pops up an advertisement and then sends you to their first page. Along with SIEMENS, VW could be seen as THE German company.

I wouldn't mind having all these manufacturers fined with debilitating amounts of money should they be cheating in similar ways, in fact this is what I'd like to see. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen. I'm not a statist, far from it, but I feel that states should be pressing car manufacturers (and every other indusrty) towards actually making eco-friendly cars (products). Yes, I am that naïve (and I care for my lungs and kidneys, nobody else does).

:facepalm:

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 01:58:46 PM
Hey, we have a new Passat and we love it. It's a good car and gets great gas mileage, so we aren't complaining.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:19 PM
Yes, other manufacturers have probably gone down the same path, too, though as far as I know for the time being only VW has been called out.

From what I've seen so far the other manufacturers need urea filters to get the (NOx) emissions down.
VW's miracle "Clean Diesel" technology was actually just them saving money and complication and getting past the tests with a cheat mode instead of the filter.

These filters also affect performance as I understand it, so VW would be ahead on power and fuel consumption.

Guess what? This is a total non-event in my corner of the 3rd world.....I doubt it even affected their sales.

Does this scandal make a GTI any less awesome?

Nope....... :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 02:23:07 PM
Yes, other manufacturers have probably gone down the same path, too, though as far as I know for the time being only VW has been called out. This is important because VW is one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world and represents a great deal of Germany's GDP as well. According to Wikipedia, Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania, Neoplan and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles marques.

There's more to it: Volkswagen's threat to the German model - by Wolfgang Munchau, The Financial Times. You may want to search that by title as their website pops up an advertisement and then sends you to their first page. Along with SIEMENS, VW could be seen as THE German company.

I wouldn't mind having all these manufacturers fined with debilitating amounts of money should they be cheating in similar ways, in fact this is what I'd like to see. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen. I'm not a statist, far from it, but I feel that states should be pressing car manufacturers (and every other indusrty) towards actually making eco-friendly cars (products). Yes, I am that naïve (and I care for my lungs and kidneys, nobody else does).

:facepalm:

I'm with you on this firiki (and not just because I want to stop you planning my downfall). I'm tired of big corporations lying and cheating us all and getting away with it. If your product is not eco-friendly or ethical, just don't pretend it is.

firiki, couldn't you focus your obvious skills towards these corporations rather than a poor dime bar Joe like me?

(I just made up 'dime bar Joe', but feel free to use it all you other dime bar Joes.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 16, 2015, 02:39:12 PM
I'm tired of big corporations lying and cheating us all and getting away with it.

You do know that this is the mickey mouse of corporate lying and cheating, right?

Personally I would start with burning down the banks, maybe pharmaceutical companies next, Monsanto  is also a good candidate............  :ahhh .........almost forgot the "energy companies", look at what they've done to us.

I don't work for VW  :D

If I could I would move to Iceland  8)

You can never unwatch Zeitgeist  ;)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 02:55:47 PM
I'm tired of big corporations lying and cheating us all and getting away with it.

You do know that this is the mickey mouse of corporate lying and cheating, right?

Personally I would start with burning down the banks, maybe pharmaceutical companies next, Monsanto  is also a good candidate............  :ahhh .........almost forgot the "energy companies", look at what they've done to us.

Yup, I totally agree. It's capitalism for all us lot and soSmurfpillsm for the rich and powerful.  Iceland's got it goin' on - actual radical thinkers - We keep fantasising about moving there chez magentus.  :salute:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 03:37:24 PM
Hey, we have a new Passat and we love it. It's a good car and gets great gas mileage, so we aren't complaining.

Yes, but isn't this a little like saying "This can of corned beef tastes great and it lasts me a long time so I don't mind lead poisoning (despite having been told the can contained no lead)" ?

This is a case of fraud and it should be dealt with as such IMO.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #44 on: October 20, 2015, 03:46:22 PM
I'm with you on this firiki (and not just because I want to stop you planning my downfall). I'm tired of big corporations lying and cheating us all and getting away with it. If your product is not eco-friendly or ethical, just don't pretend it is.

firiki, couldn't you focus your obvious skills towards these corporations rather than a poor dime bar Joe like me?

(I just made up 'dime bar Joe', but feel free to use it all you other dime bar Joes.

Not sure what 'dime bar Joe' means :think: but flattery -probably- won't save you, magentus...

As for aiming my obvious skills at these corporations, I'm afraid I'm just a psychotic cuckoo, as evidenced in the SAK&Coffee thread, whereas these are legal entities with hords of  >:D lawyers and law makers and bankers on their side  :cry:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 03:50:53 PM

Not sure what 'dime bar Joe' means :think: but flattery -probably- won't save you, magentus...

As for aiming my obvious skills at these corporations, I'm afraid I'm just a psychotic cuckoo, as evidenced in the SAK&Coffee thread, whereas these are legal entities with hords of  >:D lawyers and law makers and bankers on their side  :cry:
But you're a psychotic cuckoo with a plan and that makes all the difference in the world. I suppose this thread and VW et al is all moot anyway, given your plan, so I'm just gonna kick back and watch you work your magic.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #46 on: October 20, 2015, 03:53:00 PM

It really saddens me to think things could be done differently nowadays and yet there's so much waste of human potential and ressources and so much pollution.

There was a study a few years back suggesting cows passing gas were responsible for global warming!  :ahhh 

I probably shouldn't watch Zeitgeist, I guess  :facepalm:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:39 PM
But you're a psychotic cuckoo with a plan and that makes all the difference in the world. I suppose this thread and VW et al is all moot anyway, given your plan, so I'm just gonna kick back and watch you work your magic.

This is the first time someone feels comforted by my plotting!  :cry: :rant: :D I'm both honoured and happy by this fact.

You just made me feel useful, you gave me a purpose. I am grateful to you, sir.   8) >:( ;)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 04:04:39 PM

This is the first time someone feels comforted by my plotting!  :cry: :rant: :D I'm both honoured and happy by this fact.

You just made me feel useful, you gave me a purpose. I am grateful to you, sir.   8) >:( ;)
Judging by your use of triple smileys, there are a triumvirate of firiki's at the keyboard. Who is in charge right now?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #49 on: October 20, 2015, 04:10:39 PM
Dunno... I guess the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit?  It could be just Me. :ahhh

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 01:57:51 AM

Yes, but isn't this a little like saying "This can of corned beef tastes great and it lasts me a long time so I don't mind lead poisoning (despite having been told the can contained no lead)" ?

This is a case of fraud and it should be dealt with as such IMO.
yeah, I suppose

Sent from my iPad using a box of monkeys on a treadmill and a quantum leap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88