Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Movie Remakes

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Movie Remakes
on: September 27, 2015, 07:44:26 PM
Any one else feel as annoyed at the sheer amount of classic movies being rebooted/remade?

I'm pretty sure redoing Roadhouse is the worst idea in history, it cannot possibly top that cast, let alone the music.  :twak:

Everything I've seen on the Point Break remake turns my stomach... another I don't see doing remotely as well as the original.  ???

Ghostbusters  :facepalm:

The list seems to keep growing... I heard they're also rebooting the whole Men In Black series.  :facepalm:

Anyone else have the same problem? Or do you actually agree with all the reboots?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Movie Remakes
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:51:14 PM
I am still angry about the new Galactica TV series...   :rant:

some work, some do not -mostly shows lack of new ideas...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:01:58 PM
I am still angry about the new Galactica TV series...   :rant:

some work, some do not -mostly shows lack of new ideas...

new as in 2004-2009?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:09:27 PM
How about "Mad Max"? I thought this new one sucked!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 08:10:29 PM
yes, the real Galactica was the original one  :rant:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 10:02:58 PM
Total Recal :facepalm:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 11:05:46 PM
Total Recal :facepalm:
I know I watched that, but don't remember the new one, so it must have been a horrible remake..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:52:24 PM
A remake of a movie with a solid literary basis is often decent (the 1974 version of the 'Three Musketeers'; the 1989 version of 'Henry V'). A movie that's a remake of a classic movie is almost invariably bad. Given that the lead star is typically a lesser light than the original, and the new director is probably a nobody, its what you would expect.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 12:09:46 AM
As a horror movie fan they keep churning out crap remakes..none capture the feel of the time period it came out.

Nightmare on Elm Street -crap
Evil Dead - extra crap plus no Ash or some comedic twists like the originals
Friday the 13th - bleh!
Poltergeist - i had to turn that junk off

i'm still wishing for a Dredd 2 with Karl Urban.  :gimme:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 12:25:20 AM
As a horror movie fan they keep churning out crap remakes..none capture the feel of the time period it came out.

Nightmare on Elm Street -crap
Evil Dead - extra crap plus no Ash or some comedic twists like the originals
Friday the 13th - bleh!
Poltergeist - i had to turn that junk off

i'm still wishing for a Dredd 2 with Karl Urban.  :gimme:
I don't like those and The wife made me watch it even though "she" said it was crap..
JR

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 12:17:07 PM
I can't really get into the "new" Battlestar Galactica no matter how much I try.  I just can't see hot blonde Cylons, plus a few other changes don't make sense.   The 80's remake with the flying motorcycles was bad but at least it continued the original story somewhat.

I actually didn't mind the Total Recall remake.   It was different enough from the original that I thought it stood on its own well enough,  and I'm hoping something similar happens with Ghostbusters.

Didn't waste my time with the new Mad Max.  There's only one Max and that's Mel Gibson.  I just can't see anyone else trying to do that.   They should have created a new character in that universe and followed his exploits instead.  Mad Steve?

Some remakes I like.  Many I have no interest in whatsoever.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 01:11:25 PM
IMHO, remakes should either reboot completely (and not just redo the same scenes in HD) or should be some sort of continuation of the previous one.

Total Recall had a few carbon copy scenes...

Robocop was almost a good reboot... but then again we had the whole TV series filmed in Toronto, so I guess we were pretty burnt out on the whole Robocop thing...

Red Dawn remake was also almost a good reboot, but it still doesn't stand a chance vs the original

I'm terribly curious how they'll make Roadhouse better without Sam Elliot, Patrick Swayze and music by Jeff Healey...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 01:18:14 PM
how about X-Men and,  Star Trek.. their latest  films basically erase what happened before..

Is it a good thing that they are now able to go in any direction they like or a stupid thing, basically destroying everything

You know, they remind me of "dream" episodes/seasons in 80s TV series - when if the show was not going well after some characters were removed they just brought everybody back, alive , and claimed that one of the characters was dreaming..  :facepalm:

and come on - did we really need a new spiderman - I was happy with the previous one. Next thing you know spiderman will be played by a 5 year old..

as for superman-- they have been trying to reboot it for years now.. failing

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 01:30:30 PM
Even though I haven't followed the xmen comics I felt several times like they screwed up those storylines and ruined some great potential movies.

Spiderman they keep grinding out more hoping it'll do well, each time I cringe a bit more as the stories are dumbed down and ruined. I think they hit the prime and past it before they realized and pumped out a few more bad movies.

Hulk maybe they'll get it right some day, but I doubt they'll top the Avengers Hulk.

I didn't hate the new Superman movies, obviously some of the old charm of the originals is gone, but it was written in a very different time, and now it seems it did get an update that made sense. Not everyone will like it, but that's par for the course. I did like the Supergirl TV pilot.

IMHO the Dark Knight Batman reboot was the best reboot.

Likewise the Star Trek "alternate universe/timeline" makes lots of sense, it feels like rather than redoing a complete carbon copy they are leaving it open for different storylines yet maintaining the familiar bits.

I do not count the BSG series as a movie reboot, but I do like both the old and new series.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 01:40:58 PM
The Dark knight was basically good, but as the trilogy is now finished we should get ready for a reboot..  :ahhh   (Maybe the will bring Robin back - remember how "great" the Clooney version was...?   :D   )

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 01:41:53 PM
remember, batfleck is coming...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 01:44:50 PM
If they can make it into something like the Avengers (not the last one - too confusing)  it may be good.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 09:09:21 AM
remember, batfleck is coming...

:facepalm: Remember the Daredevil?  Somethings are not meant to be...

I can't really get into the "new" Battlestar Galactica no matter how much I try.  I just can't see hot blonde Cylons, plus a few other changes don't make sense.   The 80's remake with the flying motorcycles was bad but at least it continued the original story somewhat.

I actually didn't mind the Total Recall remake.   It was different enough from the original that I thought it stood on its own well enough,  and I'm hoping something similar happens with Ghostbusters.

Didn't waste my time with the new Mad Max.  There's only one Max and that's Mel Gibson.  I just can't see anyone else trying to do that.   They should have created a new character in that universe and followed his exploits instead.  Mad Steve?

Some remakes I like.  Many I have no interest in whatsoever.

Def

Maybe I have totally forgotten about the original Galactica(just have very vague memories, not a very big hit in Asia back then), but I for one do like the new one.  (Come on, how could anyone not like the No.6? >:D)

Totally agree with you on Total Recall, especially I got a chance to rewatch the original and the new one is just different.  And Mel Gibson is the Madmax, period.   I first saw him on Lethal Weapon, later remembered seeing his picture on a VHS tape of Madmax at rental, and I knew right there and then he would be perfect for that role.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:20 AM
I liked the Amitivile remake,but when i saw a advert showing the national lampoons vacation remake  :facepalm: you just cant do remakes of some movies,i bet they remake Jaws next  :-\ im a huge mad max fan but i didnt even bother with the new movie and i like tom hardy,they should leave these movies alone  :-\

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 10:38:38 AM
...  :facepalm: you just cant do remakes of some movies, ... they should leave these movies alone  :-\

:tu:  What the man said. Some films belong to a different era of film making and they depict said era in both direct and indirect ways. All this I like, if you can't get the original film's thrill, well, that's too bad.

Some films could be rebooted though. Still, I' m definitely not a fan as I rarely watch reboots. In my mind this shows lack of creativity and also that the film industry is trying to cash in fond memories of people from 30 to 50 something years of age.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 02:35:31 PM
I greatly enjoyed the new Vacation.  I felt it was a very good modern retelling of the classic, and I still have the original on Beta somewhere.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 02:42:59 PM
I greatly enjoyed the new Vacation.  I felt it was a very good modern retelling of the classic, and I still have the original on Beta somewhere.

Def

Did they still have the green family wagon Grant  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 06:02:05 PM
I won't lie to you, it does make an appearance.  :D

Instead they have some bizarre... thing....  that is even wonkier than the old car since it's filled with mismatched modern technology.  For example, this is the key fob:

Def

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 06:06:55 PM
Its a few years old but I thought the remake of the Longest Yard was alright...
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 06:46:01 PM
For the record, remakes/reboots also occasionally fix the "originals."  For example, the Netflix version of Daredevil is far and away superior to Batfleck's version of Daredevil. 

Which admittedly was not hard.   ::)

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 07:04:01 PM
series vs movie.

They sometimes come up with the goods, but most of the time fail.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 07:54:30 AM
Well, the The Magnificent Seven (1960 starring Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach and Steve McQueen) was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Japanese-language film Seven Samurai of 1954.

I have never seen the Japanese original, but the Magnificent seven was a very good film/reboot/remake

They now  want to make a remake of that remake (according to google) "The Magnificent Seven is an upcoming American Western/crime film directed by Antoine Fuqua, a remake of the 1960 western film of the same name"

Why?? 
What are they going to improve on that??
Can't they think of a scenario that is half as good as the 1960s version? (maybe have 5 riders instead of 7 - do something different)
Will they remake the good the bad and the ugly?
Is there no imagination left?
A bit like the new MINI....

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 12:30:36 PM
Yes the new Mini is huge.   I guess when BMW bought Mini something was lost in the translation?

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 01:19:18 PM
They mistakenly thought people wanted nostalgia + normal sized cars... yet the Fiat 500 has proved that the Mini reboot was wrong.

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 02:44:04 PM
I'm not sure we needed an English language but otherwise word-for-word and shot-for-shot remake of 'Funny Games'  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%