Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Now that I have a Swisschamp, do I need any others?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Now that I have a Swisschamp, do I need any others?
on: September 28, 2015, 10:21:58 PM
Hi all,

Now that I have a Swisschamp, do I need to keep a Marlboro Champion (without metal file) or an Explorer or even a CT41?  Since the Swisschamp has all the tools and the Champion and Explorer don't, is there any NEED to keep them around if I plan on just carrying the Swisschamp as my EDC.

If I dont keep the Marlboro Champion, value wise am I better off leaving the Marlboro scales on it?  If I do keep it I am thinking about putting on "plus" scales on it so I can have the pin and pen which are not currently part of the stock scales. I have the sapphire, yellow (on the way) and ruby Plus scales here as well as a stock red set.

Thx.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Now that I have a Swisschamp, do I need any others?
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:36:14 PM
Hmm  :think: i love my SC but dont carry it as much as my craftsman or explorer,but it is still one of my favourites and if i had too sell my sak but could keep one i would keep my SC as covers pretty much all jobs  :tu:

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:00:49 PM
Is the SC going to be what you carry when wearing some shorts doing yard work or gardening or head in an engine bay? Is it the knife you want when your hands are covered in mud or blood or paint? Is it the knife you want to loan out to a close friend or family? Is it the do anything and everything knife? Cause me personally I have a knife for work, dress up, dress down, beater, collector, etc...

Even with all the tools of the Swisschamp there is still no one knife to rule them all.

Isn't the Marlboro model called the Outdoorsman?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:08:37 PM
You still need a Farmer;an Explorer;a Rambler....
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:02 PM
Is the SC going to be what you carry when wearing some shorts doing yard work or gardening or head in an engine bay? Is it the knife you want when your hands are covered in mud or blood or paint? Is it the knife you want to loan out to a close friend or family? Is it the do anything and everything knife? Cause me personally I have a knife for work, dress up, dress down, beater, collector, etc...

Even with all the tools of the Swisschamp there is still no one knife to rule them all.

Isn't the Marlboro model called the Outdoorsman?

It is the "one" that I will carry no matter what the situation is and yeah I will carry it in my shorts cargo pocket, which I was carrying either a Ranger or Explorer.  It will be an user, not a collector and I have other folders, lockblades and/or a MT that will accompany it when I go out to do specific tasks such as hiking/walking/, camping, biking or whatever but any other item I take will ride in the backpack.  This one sak will be the only one in my pocket.

Yes, you are right it is the Outdoorsman.  I was told it was the Champion when I purchased it but the box does say "Outdoorsman".  If I change the scales to PLUS scales, then I can call it a Champion.  LOL

:)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:32:48 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:13:47 PM

I have an Explorer but dont see the need as the same tools are on the Swisschamp as is the Farmer tools.  Don't like the keychain ones anymore as they too are not needed.  I don't carry stuff just to carry stuff and I like to keep it to a minimum.

On my keys is a key and a flashlight.  That is it.  As I pointed out, the SC will be the only sak I will have on me unless I am doing something specific outdoors.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:48 PM
The Swiss Champ is a bit large for pocket carry. If you carry it in a belt pouch, no problem.
I carry a Deluxe Tinker in my belt pouch, but a small Tinker around the house (because I can
get to "real" tools here).
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:12 PM
Haha I read this as "do I need other [Swiss Champs]?".

And my answer was yes.   :rofl:

To seriously answer your question, do you like the outdoors/camping?  If so, I think you might want to pick up one of the 111mm or 130mm SAKs with the longer blade and saw (and less tools you might not need outdoors). 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:35:48 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:30:12 PM
Typing this as I have my SC in pocket  :tu:.  I love my SC and it covers pretty much all  I need with the exception of large pliers.  I need to adjust my glasses, covered.  Snip a coupon. covered.  Turn a screw flat or philips, covered.  Open a can, which I enjoy, covered.  Read small print on medicine ( for example ), covered.  Hold/pinch/grab something with force and fingers wont do, covered.  Need to knock down a metal bur or file away something, covered.  Take a note, covered.  Poke/prod/steal a french fry, covered. 

I don't know what to say other than I love the SC for all these reasons and many more to come.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:31:10 PM
The Swiss Champ is a bit large for pocket carry. If you carry it in a belt pouch, no problem.
I carry a Deluxe Tinker in my belt pouch, but a small Tinker around the house (because I can
get to "real" tools here).
Rich

I have carried a Champion in my cargo pocket as a test and it seemed fine but not sure how it would work with jeans.  I normally carry any sak on a P-7 clip when wearing jeans.

I do have a double SOS pouch but I dont see that as an EDC item!  :)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 12:02:31 AM
Now that I have a Swisschamp, do I need to keep a Marlboro Champion (without metal file) or an Explorer or even a CT41?  Since the Swisschamp has all the tools and the Champion and Explorer don't, is there any NEED to keep them around if I plan on just carrying the Swisschamp as my EDC.

Well, if you're SURE the size and weight and thickness of a Swisschamp will never bother you, there's no point in the Explorer any more. But having carried a pocket knife in cargo pants pockets, then running, I'm not sure you've thought it through. Even walking, it is not comfortably to have that banging on the leg.

Marlboro Champion could be kept as a collection/investment piece.

CT41 has the awesome bit driver, which is loads more versatile than the individual tools on the Swisschamp. Consider it an "urban Swisschamp."

To me, the Explorer Plus is a largish pocket knife, and the Swisschamp/CT41 are for carrying in a belt pouch or bag. There are some gung-ho characters who pocket carry them, but not many.

Belt pouch carry is nice because the SAKs tend not to get filled with lint so quickly.

One other weakness of the really thick SAKs like the Swisschamp is the flat drivers all the way on the edge of the tool stack. It's awkward with the rest of that stack swinging around as you turn a screw. It's noticeable on a 4 layer SAK. Comical or in-the-way for a big thick one.

If I were going minimalist, this is what I'd have:

• Spirit X (for when pliers may be needed)
  • Workchamp or Swisschamp or Trekker for outdoorsy stuff (depending on preference)
  • CT34/M for an all-around large urban SAK (pouch or bag-carried)
  • Explorer or Mountaineer for large EDC (large pocket carry)
  • Rambler or Manager for small EDC (any pocket carry)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 12:12:57 AM

I have an Explorer but dont see the need as the same tools are on the Swisschamp as is the Farmer tools.  Don't like the keychain ones anymore as they too are not needed.  I don't carry stuff just to carry stuff and I like to keep it to a minimum.

On my keys is a key and a flashlight.  That is it.  As I pointed out, the SC will be the only sak I will have on me unless I am doing something specific outdoors.

Well, I think the reason a lot of us have multiple SAKs is also minimalism, but looked at from a different point of view.

For example, my most common SAKs carried are the Classic and Manager, because in my desk work, that's all I normally need. When I go to the lab, I grab my Gerber MP400 that is in my desk. Or if my bike needs a bit of work, I go to the Charge ALX in my bag.

If I'm going for a hike, I'll decide between the Workchamp or OHO Trekker NS, as I'm likely to need a bigger blade and saw.

If I'm on my usual weekend rounds, maybe a CT34 or Explorer, as I might need more than the 58mm ones offer, but probably not a saw or big blade.

You, carrying the Swisschamp, have everything in one package, that's true. But to carry that daily in a pocket, when one works an office job?  :think:  Does not compute.

It's minimalist from the standpoint of minimizing how many SAKs you have. But you'll often have far more tools than you'll need.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 01:28:34 AM

Well, I think the reason a lot of us have multiple SAKs is also minimalism, but looked at from a different point of view.

For example, my most common SAKs carried are the Classic and Manager, because in my desk work, that's all I normally need. When I go to the lab, I grab my Gerber MP400 that is in my desk. Or if my bike needs a bit of work, I go to the Charge ALX in my bag.

If I'm going for a hike, I'll decide between the Workchamp or OHO Trekker NS, as I'm likely to need a bigger blade and saw.

If I'm on my usual weekend rounds, maybe a CT34 or Explorer, as I might need more than the 58mm ones offer, but probably not a saw or big blade.

You, carrying the Swisschamp, have everything in one package, that's true. But to carry that daily in a pocket, when one works an office job?  :think:  Does not compute.

It's minimalist from the standpoint of minimizing how many SAKs you have. But you'll often have far more tools than you'll need.

Some good points there and really I am looking for the least amount of stuff to carry to cover my bases.  I have no problem with carrying a sak like an Explorer, then having something in my bag or on my belt if I know I will be doing something as I mentioned and for sure I am wanting the Workchamp as my outdoor tool to throw into a backpack when going out for the larger locking blade. I know I could do a MT like Rebar, Spirit X or similar and pair it with even just an Explorer and get things covered.  Just trying to find the right "combo" I guess you could say but also don't want to caught somewhere without what I need, within reason of course!

I also have a Vic Outrider which could serve as my companion the the Swisschamp but even with them two, i would be lacking good plier's so this is why I am also considering something like the SC and the Skeletool CX (since I didnt get it sold).  Those two would give me the coverage too.  Then again I could go Explorer and MT like a Rebar or Surge (in bag or belt) or Outdoorsman and the MT.  I know there are alot of optiions as far as combo's so I will just have to try a few combo's out and see what I like with the gear I have, then maybe change it.

Thx. for the comments.   :tu:

us Offline bren10man

Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 01:32:57 AM
Source a 1973-ish to 1992 Grand Prix (Mountaineer with Phillips driver instead of corkscrew) and you will be set.

I carry a 1973-1986 Champion in a belt pouch; Grand Prix if in my pocket.   
MOLON LABE!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 01:45:36 AM
I've been carrying a Swisschamp & Rebar combo for a while and it works pretty well for me :tu:
SAW

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 02:26:19 AM
 :climber:
How about a Swisstool simply because it has a decent ruler?  :whistle:

Oh, how about one of those SAK with USB flash drive?  :whistle:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 02:48:43 AM
I've been carrying a Swisschamp & Rebar combo for a while and it works pretty well for me :tu:

I don't have a Rebar anymore cause I sold it but was thinking of the Swisschamp and Skeletool CX or Surge as I have them!  :)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 02:49:32 AM
:climber:
How about a Swisstool simply because it has a decent ruler?  :whistle:

Oh, how about one of those SAK with USB flash drive?  :whistle:

Swisstool quite possible but a sak with a USB, not likely!  :)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:50 PM
Hi all,

If I dont keep the Marlboro Champion, value wise am I better off leaving the Marlboro scales on it?  If I do keep it I am thinking about putting on "plus" scales on it so I can have the pin and pen which are not currently part of the stock scales. I have the sapphire, yellow (on the way) and ruby Plus scales here as well as a stock red set.

Thx.

No you don't need them any more. I'll pm you my address so you can properly dispose of them. :pok:
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 06:22:37 PM
Hi all,

Thx.

No you don't need them any more. I'll pm you my address so you can properly dispose of them. :pok:

Sounds good!  If you pay shipping say about $135 or so, I will be more than happy to send them to you! LOL

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 08:11:01 PM
Just don't get a Swiss Champ XLT because it's a SC + a CT 41 + a pruner + an electrician with a coke spoon spatula thrown in.  :facepalm:

It's great, all it's missing is a freakin' laser!   :rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 08:24:26 PM
Well, half the fun is trying to find your perfect EDC.

In my experience, and probably the experience of everyone here, as long as you frequent this forum, you will never find it. (but you'll enjoy the quest)

When you stop frequenting MTo, you'll pretty quickly settle on your favorite.

I suspect that will be something somewhat smaller and lighter than a Swisschamp.

-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 08:42:27 PM
Here is my Swisschamp with newly added yellow plus scales.  I had to change the scales from the red ones cause it didnt have the straight pin hole.

A thanks to Aloha for hooking my up with the Swisschamp!!!  Thanks bro!

Man, I love those yellow plus scales!  :)

yellowplus.jpg
* yellowplus.jpg (Filesize: 154.83 KB)
yellowplus2.jpg
* yellowplus2.jpg (Filesize: 178.01 KB)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 08:44:18 PM

In my experience, and probably the experience of everyone here, as long as you frequent this forum, you will never find it. (but you'll enjoy the quest)

I suspect that will be something somewhat smaller and lighter than a Swisschamp.

I am pretty sure that I will go down to the Explorer in the late fall and winter time here as I am sure I wont need as many tools for my urban EDC.  :)

For sure the journey is half the fun at least!!

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 07:06:34 PM
 :nothingtoadd:

Well, will add the obvious: If it has to be only one, then this is The SwissChamp.
Great choice :2tu: And, btw, pick up some Wenger too, just in case ... ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 02:40:13 AM

I'm thankful I found my "perfect" edc ( work ) early on.  It's my day off carry that I'm having fun with.  I got hold of a SC early on and if anything it's become my go to for work and play.  So much to love about the tool.  I'm no minimalist so the SC for me is peace of mind and fun, what can be better?

@sirmike SC looks great in the yellow scales  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 04:45:08 PM
I had a Swisschamp and modded it into my EDC Woodsman which I love, but the SC is such an iconic model I think I would EDC that if I had one again.  :facepalm:

It never ends! We're all doomed to never ever reach satisfaction. To quote the great Muddy Waters, 'I can't be satisfied'.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 04:51:55 PM
Just a comment but so far the SC on a P-7 clip in my front jean pocket feels okay.  So far I am having no issues with carrying it this way and it doesn't feel too big or bulky.  You can tell it is there though which is good and I guess you would be able to tell if it wassn't there so I don't think I would leave it someone and not know it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%