Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit vs. Rebar?

ToolJoe · 101 · 10788

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Swisstool Spirit vs. Rebar?
on: October 02, 2015, 04:47:52 AM
I'm thinking about getting another mt. I have it narrowed down to a Spirit or a Rebar. Which should I go with? Go!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Re: Swisstool Spirit vs. Rebar?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:59:57 AM
Rebar, it's light weight and still packs a big punch.  The replaceable wire cutters are very solid. The knife blade is great for detail work. The pliers themselves are real work horses. Especially if you're in the states you can't beat leatherman warranty and is price.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:37 AM
Cant speak for the spirit, as I dont own one, but the rebar is phenomenal. I edc it in my pocket, and it fits snugly next to my phone. The file is great, as is the serrated blade. Replacable cutters are very strong, and the awl is beastly.

I love my rebar. Cant go wrong with one
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:16:42 AM
I believe this has been discussed in the past, and has always been a tough one for me.  On paper, the Spirit has an edge in versatility I think.  However, I find that I go for the Rebar much more than the Spirit.  I've yet to be able to really figure that out :think:  I do have a love for the classic LM design though, and that may be part of it.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:16:46 AM
both are good workhorses.

Go Spirit if:
You want scissors,
FnF matters to you
Have the budget

Otherwise Rebar is an excellent choice.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 06:20:40 AM
If you want perfect quality, awesome ergonmics, great looks and the best toolset ever, get the Spirit.
If you cannot afford one, make a downpayment and get one on credit ;-)
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:31:42 AM
I personally see very little advantage in buying the Rebar over the Spirit.

Rebar has inboard tools, and Spirit has outboard tools. Not only does this mean that the Spirit's tools have easier access, but also that the knife blades and saw are orientated better for more efficient use.

The Rebar has several hotspots (including the locks and cut outs for knife/tool access) and I find the tool uncomfortable in use compared to many other tools. The Spirit for me has better ergonomics as pliers and using the outside tools

The Spirit doesn't just have superior fit and finish, but in my opinion a far superior tool set too. Better awl, less delicate blades, more aggressive file, scissors, pry tool, better can opener, chisel and scrapers, better driver for electrical connector blocks, hook .... far more diversity, and often better performance too

The only two possible downsides to the Spirit are that it can be a little slippery with wet/oily hands, and the wire cutters aren't great for stranded wire (but the scissors will cope with thin gauge stuff).

I have tried the Rebar twice, once in it's stock format (I traded it pretty quickly) and then again later with a modded layout. I tried adding older plier heads which I prefer to the indexable ones, scissors, and a couple of other tweaks, but still couldn't get on with it. I hope to never be without a Victorinox Spirit
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:33:20 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 06:37:05 AM
I'm a light MT user who's good to go with a Micra. I needed a plier-based tool so I got a Rebar coz it was cheaper than a Wave but had good reviews.

Then I picked up a Spirit and was totally smitten by the outside accessible tools!

The downside is that I still keep the Rebar in case I need heavy/frequent cutting coz I don't want to wear out the non-replaceable wire cutters on the Spirit. But for everything else, I'm casting my lot with the Spirit.

Btw, when I revisited my Rebar for something, I missed the non-clumping of tools in the Spirit.

It's one of the times you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:39:00 AM by Zephon »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 06:37:15 AM
Good choices.

I agree with what Kampfer just said, and on top of that:

Spirit:
Scissors
Better fit and finish
Quicker accessible to tools from the outside
Likely to be more rustproof

Rebar:
Solid performer with good pricing
Replaceable wire cutter
Great for sawing(trust me, I just finished 7 hours of continuous saw testing of many MTs, and Rebar is high up there)

If you just want best value, then go for Rebar.  Decent tool with cheaper price tags often has best value, look at Mora, Opinel.  Just hard to find a reason not to like them.

If you want best in class, then Spirit. 

I almost love my LM Charge/Wave just as much, but for totally different reason.  OHO blade, exchangeable bits, needle head pliers...in contrast, Spirit has all outside tools, much better fit and finish, excellent chisel combo tool, beefier (possibly less breakable) pliers...
Spirit is everything that Wave is not, but in the end, I still prefer Spirit because of its simplicity and elegance.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:39:01 AM by comis »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 06:40:50 AM
I've had them both; kept the Spirit X.

It costs twice as much as a Rebar, but it is twice as nice too.

Here's how I'd compare them:

Spirit:
+ All tools but pliers are outside accessible; this is very convenient. It's like having a somewhat heavy SAK, but with full size pliers inside.
+ Fit & finish leads the industry
+ So do the pliers ergonomics
+ Available with scissors as a factory option
+ Pliers have the perfect tension to them. Loose enough to fall open for easy one-handed use, but no discernable wobble in the hinge.
+ The wire and cable stripping tool is awesome, and not found on anyone else's MTs.
+ Light, compared to a lot of MTs, but not light-duty
+ Good strong large flat head screwdriver. Much thicker shank than on a SAK
+ Long enough screwdrivers
- No bit integral driver (ala Wave or SOG)
- Maybe the worst possible MT if your hands are are oily or wet, due to the high-polish finish
- Scissors doesn't open very far/ consider it more of a snips. Great spring though; not the hokey leaf spring Vic uses elsewhere.
- Looks a bit wonky when closed, due to the bend in the pliers handles to make them so comfortable when open.
- No one-handed, outside-opening blade

Rebar:
+/- Nice implementation of the original Leatherman design
+/- Larger pliers head, pointier needlenose
+ Smoother profile when closed, for pocket carry
+ Replaceable 154CM cutters. This might just cinch it, if you cut a lot of steel wire
+ My favorite blade shape of all MTs
+ Great screwdriver execution; sharp edges and corners; not over-polished
+ Fair price. Not so high as to make it unobtainable, not so low that we need to question the basic quality
- Saw's kinda short, and cuts on the pull stroke only
- File's got the big hole in it, instead of a less obtrusive nail nick
- Back of the file is kind of sharp on the palm of the hand; plan on grinding it down
- No scissors = no-go (for me)
- Nothing is outside accessible (kind of goes along with the first point)

My advice: Order a Spirit, paying careful attention to which model you're getting. Get through the honeymoon period, and when your curiosity is killing you, buy a Rebar locally. (Lowe's carries them; maybe Home Depot too) If you don't like the Rebar, return it. If you prefer it to the Spirit, you can easily resell the Spirit for a very small loss, and consider it a rental.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 06:41:45 AM
Considering that I'm now the owner of 50ft's modded Rebar and long time advocate for the Spirit, I would agree with the man.
The Rebar is a very nice tool and something I would consider a minimalist's finest choice. For me it is a jacket tool mostly since the mods have removed the stock blades from it. The other implements work, it is a bit uncomfortable when compared to the Spirit, but there is also no fear of marring up the finish that sometimes comes with Vic tools.

The Spirit is still a grab and go tool for me and even though some things can be a pain in the bee-hind (I tend to cut my nails very short), for me it is still one of those things that give that unequivocal feeling of "set me loose and I'll conquer the world with it".

So trust Kampfer, if you can muscle the budget and don't worry about getting something shiny dirty then the Spirit can be a great addition. If not, the Rebar is a solid workhorse that might not win many beauty pageants but she'll get you there and back
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 06:42:52 AM
In the Spirit price range, I think the SOG PowerLock or Pocket PowerPlier is the better option. They butterfly open, which is a ton of fun and the pliers + cutters are world-beating.

Inside tools are user-changeable without voiding the lifetime warranty.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

au Offline Scoon

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 06:50:35 AM
I am having a very similar conundrum at the moment. The rebar is very attractive to me; minimal tool redundancy, solid design, exactly the tools I want - no more, no less. But it has one fatal flaw: no outside accessible tools:rant:

This for me is a major problem. Think about how often you will use it, and every single time there will be two extra steps in the process: open arms, unfold blade, close arms. It would drive me nuts, especially if I just wanted quick access to do something without mucking around.

If it weren't for that, I'd buy one in a second. As it is, it's making me lean towards the swisstool at the moment. Might think the decision over a bit more first, though.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 06:53:14 AM
Some great posts fellas. 

So I tried to love the Rebar, I really did.  I also tried to love the Spirit as well, I really did.  If its between these then I'd have to go with the Spirit.  I think the money is well spent and you get it back in huge returns.  The Rebar is a great tool its just not for me, same goes for the Spirit. 

I think Comis pretty much nailed it with his post. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 06:59:16 AM
Get both!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 07:00:45 AM
I think I agree with pretty much everything said above.  If you can afford it, get the Spirit.  I'd recommend the version with the serrated blade and scissors.  If you want a lower price and must have needle nosed pliers, get the Rebar.  The only other points I'd add are that the Rebar is easy to customise, if that's your thing, and that it looks neater when closed (and probably stays cleaner too).

If you're looking for added functionality, the Leatherman removeable bit driver will fit both the Spirit and the Rebar.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 07:39:35 AM
I had a Spirit X and the Rebar.  I kept the Rebar but wish I still had the Spirit and I would trade away the Rebar on a Spirit in a second. 

The Rebar just sits in my desk drawer and really sees no use.  It is just like new and just sits there.  Once in awhile I get it out and open it up and maybe open a package or mail just cause but otherwise just wish I kept the Spirit.

I would take quality over pricing anytime if I had the choice again!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 09:09:37 AM
Form factor: The Spirit is longer (its actually quite a long MT), but its flatter than the Rebar. For me, that makes it more comfortable in my pockets. The greater length leads to longer "small tools" giving you great reach on them all.

Tool-set: I find the Spirit has the best and most complete tool-set.

Pliers: I find that the Spirit pliers are great at gripping, the pliers shape seems to suit that. Cutting wire / cables both perform pretty well.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 09:37:27 AM
I vote Spirit.  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 09:42:40 AM
I had a rebar but traded it away,its a good mt but IMHO the spirit is far superior  :salute:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 09:48:21 AM
I am not a fan of SOG MT, (SP2.0 is nice)
I think the SOG PowerLock or Pocket PowerPlier is the better option. They butterfly open, which is a ton of fun and the pliers + cutters are world-beating.
I think they are bigger than they have to be, lots empty space inside those SOG tools.
And from my experiences the SOG cutters are soft, just be careful with them.

Yeah but only to a small degree, there are not a whole lots of implements or configuration you can work it. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 09:51:49 AM
I am not a fan of SOG MT, (SP2.0 is nice)
I think the SOG PowerLock or Pocket PowerPlier is the better option. They butterfly open, which is a ton of fun and the pliers + cutters are world-beating.
I think they are bigger than they have to be, lots empty space inside those SOG tools.
And from my experiences the SOG cutters are soft, just be careful with them.

Yeah but only to a small degree, there are not a whole lots of implements or configuration you can work it.

plus i found sogs files a bit hit n miss quality wise,plus ive seen a few broken phillips,but both ppp and pp have that great compound leverage  :tu:

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 09:57:18 AM
Both  :)
I know that´s a coward advice but if you are into MT´s you will need both. A Swisstool Spirit is superior in many ways. It is maybe the best designed and executed tool available at the moment.
However I must warn you they usually end up beeing admiration pieces. The highly polished, perfectly executed tool seem to end up like kind of sacred beads that people keep because it gives them piece of mind fiddeling with them, open close, repeat.
Mine is often next to the keyboard and when I need to think i fiddle with it.

Rebar has more of a user cult status. It is a minimalist hard use no nonsense tool. The design roots directly to the original PST. Easy to carry robust and simple. Most of what made it a success is there and mildly but importantly improved. It begs to be used. No frills, not much elegance, flat easy to carry package. The replacable cutters also makes you baby it less.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 10:18:40 AM
I've only handled a rebar for a few minutes, but I have been the lucky owner of a Spirit for some time now and I can't think of a better MT. As others have mentioned - fit and finish second to none, outside accessible tools, no clumping and very comfortable to use.

Yes it's shiny and may make you want to keep it on a shelf, but the finish has the opposite effect for me. I want to use it more to see how scuffed up it will get with regular everyday use.

There have been no pics yet so here's a pic of my Spirit to drool over;
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:22:05 AM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 10:29:10 AM
I've only handled a rebar for a few minutes, but I have been the lucky owner of a Spirit for some time now and I can't think of a better MT. As others have mentioned - fit and finish second to none, outside accessible tools, no clumping and very comfortable to use.

Yes it's shiny and may make you want to keep it on a shelf, but the finish has the opposite effect for me. I want to use it more to see how scuffed up it will get with regular everyday use.

r2d2 is thinking ,hey c3p0 have you but some weight on  :rofl:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 10:30:10 AM
both are good workhorses.

Go Spirit if:
You want scissors,
FnF matters to you
Have the budget

Otherwise Rebar is an excellent choice.

I had a rebar but traded it away,its a good mt but IMHO the spirit is far superior  :salute:

What they said!

I've both,and even after modding the Rebar,I'm still not completely taken with it. The Rebar isn't bad,but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the hype.

The Spirit does have its weak points,but far fewer than any other MT. And it is compatible with the old LM Universal Tool Adopter
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 10:41:29 AM

r2d2 is thinking ,hey c3p0 have you but some weight on  :rofl:
:rofl:  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 10:49:29 AM
Im also not sold on the whole replaceable cutters thing,ive used my og waves cutters for years with no issues,plus outside tools on the spirit is a big bonus,for me the rebar will never be as good as the pst  :-\

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 11:40:04 AM
Neither. Get a Surge. Seriously.

On a more serious note, try both. Me personally, I would go with the Rebar. I don't care for the Spirit much.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 04:49:52 PM
I have both. I love them both. Especially since I had scissors added to the rebar. But my rebar lives in my at home box and 9/10 I'm grabbing my spirit. I don't work with oily or greasy hands so for me the spirit is the best. If budget is an issue get the rebar. I must admit that I didn't dream of a spirit. It was on my gift list for my wife. But after having one it has really blown my expectations away. Fit and finish, super light weight, 1,000 times better sheath, and all the tools work!!!  The rebar is uncomfortable to use for me, but it does have an actual serrated blade, which is what the spirit lacks. Good luck.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%