Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit vs. Rebar?

ToolJoe · 101 · 10738

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Swisstool Spirit vs. Rebar?
Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 05:51:16 PM
The scissors are a plus on the Spirit but if I went w/the Rebar, I could just carry a pair of electrician scissors in the sheath. The outside features are a plus for the Spirit but its double the price nearly. The Rebar seems more no nonsense to me.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 06:12:44 PM
I keep forgetting that Spirit is so expensive since it was $60 US in Walmart at the time
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 06:30:01 PM
Im also not sold on the whole replaceable cutters thing,ive used my og waves cutters for years with no issues,

^ Agree.

plus outside tools on the spirit is a big bonus,for me the rebar will never be as good as the pst  :-\

^ Disagree. The Rebar is better than the PST in every way except compactness and sentimental value.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 06:35:31 PM
Im also not sold on the whole replaceable cutters thing,ive used my og waves cutters for years with no issues,

^ Agree.

plus outside tools on the spirit is a big bonus,for me the rebar will never be as good as the pst  :-\

^ Disagree. The Rebar is better than the PST in every way except compactness and sentimental value.

i wish the rebar  was as compact as the pst  :-\

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 06:37:37 PM

^ Agree.

The quality of the steel and finish is superior on the PST.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: October 02, 2015, 06:38:21 PM
I have both. I love them both. Especially since I had scissors added to the rebar. But my rebar lives in my at home box and 9/10 I'm grabbing my spirit. I don't work with oily or greasy hands so for me the spirit is the best. If budget is an issue get the rebar. I must admit that I didn't dream of a spirit. It was on my gift list for my wife. But after having one it has really blown my expectations away. Fit and finish, super light weight, 1,000 times better sheath, and all the tools work!!!  The rebar is uncomfortable to use for me, but it does have an actual serrated blade, which is what the spirit lacks. Good luck.

the butter blade is serrated  :think:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 02, 2015, 07:03:40 PM
I have both. I love them both. Especially since I had scissors added to the rebar. But my rebar lives in my at home box and 9/10 I'm grabbing my spirit. I don't work with oily or greasy hands so for me the spirit is the best. If budget is an issue get the rebar. I must admit that I didn't dream of a spirit. It was on my gift list for my wife. But after having one it has really blown my expectations away. Fit and finish, super light weight, 1,000 times better sheath, and all the tools work!!!  The rebar is uncomfortable to use for me, but it does have an actual serrated blade, which is what the spirit lacks. Good luck.

I have the spirit x, so for me just the regular plain edge. Forgot about the butter blade
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 07:09:48 PM

I have the spirit x, so for me just the regular plain edge. Forgot about the butter blade

its not too bade a blade  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 10:10:24 PM

^ Agree.

That! That exactly! The Rebar lacks the feel even of the Fuse.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:44 PM

^ Agree.

:imws:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 10:24:05 PM

^ Agree.

:imws:

Are you agreeing with me again? I remember when we had standards on this forum :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 10:31:21 PM
Standards went out of the window when we let Zoidie become a moderator  :rofl:

>:D

I just think I've just got you well trained in what to think mate, but sometimes you get there quicker than I do, so I have to agree with you instead of you agreeing with me  :P :D

(and there endeth the lesson of how to piss off two mods in one post  >:D)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 10:41:51 PM
I was more shocked than anyone else.  :facepalm:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 10:53:20 PM
Letting Zman in, hell, I can't believe they let Al and I in.
Lol!

That's us mobile.
Nate
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:55:08 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: October 03, 2015, 12:47:08 AM
What is Vic's warranty like?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 01:10:22 AM

Lifetime.

I have had a bad run in with their customer service and had to go over their head, but the consensus is Vic has a great warranty department.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #46 on: October 03, 2015, 01:25:29 AM

Lifetime.

I have had a bad run in with their customer service and had to go over their head, but the consensus is Vic has a great warranty department.

This is bad news.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #47 on: October 03, 2015, 02:49:39 AM
Has Leatherman changed their steel over the years? I don't think so. I think they've always used 420HC, just like Buck.

The finish on the PST was finer, but not necessarily better. OK, I admit the back of the file doesn't abrade the hand when using the pliers, but that's the only nit I can pick about the Rebar.

So saying the PST has better steel and finish than the Rebar is kind of invalid, IMO. I doubt they've messed up their hardening process...

You guys are getting all emotional about The Original (PST) on me. I have one, and it is just not that great of an MT, by today's standards. It simply doesn't hold up well to the test of time. There's no shame in that, since if it weren't for the PST, we wouldn't have all the great MTs we have today. The sharp edges against the palm of the hand really impede the ability for the PST to grip anything tightly.

Whenever I carry mine and actually need to use an inside tool, I say to myself: "Self? This is a pain in the ass. Why are you putting yourself through this when you have a SPIRIT that is wanting some use? Put it back in the tote, and maybe it'll be worth something some day."
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: October 03, 2015, 04:35:07 AM

Lifetime.

This is bad news.

Why is that bad news?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 04:54:41 AM

Lifetime.

This is bad news.

Why is that bad news?

Was kinda hoping a bad warranty department would be an excuse not to get a Spirit.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 04:58:44 AM

Lifetime.

This is bad news.

Why is that bad news?

Was kinda hoping a bad warranty department would be an excuse not to get a Spirit.

Haha. I fully endorse everyone who loves multitools to at least buy a Spirit and give it a try. It is one of the best multitools on the market so you would be doing yourself a injustice by not giving it a go. If it does not work out you can sell it or have great trade for something else.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 05:35:23 AM
After analyzing this again in my mind....I think I have a better idea on why I tend to go for the Rebar, despite the fact that the Spirit is really the better overall MT, as seems to be the consensus here.  I can't argue with that fact, as the Spirit has an excellent set of tools, and it is very versatile.  There are two key areas where the Rebar wins out for me though.

1.  The Rebar is a bit easier for me to pocket carry as it's lighter and that classic LM shape also makes it easier.  Since I don't sheath carry, this is important, although the Spirit isn't exactly a heavyweight, and pocket carries decently.

2.  The pliers.  This is the biggest reason for me.  The primary reason I carry any MT is in case I need pliers, although I do prefer it to be a fully loaded MT, even though my SAK (MechaRogue) has most of what I tend to need for the most part.  The Spirit's pliers are nice and all, but not needlenosed enough for some of the uses I come across at work in particular.  I don't do a lot of wire cutting or anything like that, but I do prefer the Rebar's pliers for that kind of thing.

The Spirit is great for fiddle factor though, which is also key for me ;)  The lack of a ruler is a small factor as well, as I do occasionally have use for it.  If it was possible to have LM style pliers, or at least more needlenosed version of the Spirit's, it would stand a better chance with me I think. 

I recommend both anyway.  Everyone has different tastes and preferences, and you never know what little things may sway your preference for a certain MT.
K-Tibbs

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 06:00:21 AM
Has Leatherman changed their steel over the years? I don't think so. I think they've always used 420HC, just like Buck.

The finish on the PST was finer, but not necessarily better. OK, I admit the back of the file doesn't abrade the hand when using the pliers, but that's the only nit I can pick about the Rebar.

So saying the PST has better steel and finish than the Rebar is kind of invalid, IMO. I doubt they've messed up their hardening process...

You guys are getting all emotional about The Original (PST) on me. I have one, and it is just not that great of an MT, by today's standards. It simply doesn't hold up well to the test of time. There's no shame in that, since if it weren't for the PST, we wouldn't have all the great MTs we have today. The sharp edges against the palm of the hand really impede the ability for the PST to grip anything tightly.

Whenever I carry mine and actually need to use an inside tool, I say to myself: "Self? This is a pain in the ass. Why are you putting yourself through this when you have a SPIRIT that is wanting some use? Put it back in the tote, and maybe it'll be worth something some day."

You are certainly entitled to your opinion   ;)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #53 on: October 03, 2015, 04:20:00 PM

Lifetime.

This is bad news.

Why is that bad news?

Haha. I fully endorse everyone who loves multitools to at least buy a Spirit and give it a try. It is one of the best multitools on the market so you would be doing yourself a injustice by not giving it a go. If it does not work out you can sell it or have great trade for something else.

They are so pricey though. Hmm.

us Offline WoodMan

Reply #54 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:38 PM
Everybody is glossing over the fact that the big weakness of all Victorinox tools (including both Swisstools and SAKs) are the drivers.  They are undeniably weak, little better than emergency or occasional-use tools. The steel is too soft, they are just not for hard-use. 

Driving something other than #1 or #2 Phillips or slotted screws?  Forget it with Victorinox (except for maybe the Cybertools). With a Bit Kit and the Removeable Bit Driver (for the Rebar) or the Bit Driver Extender (for the Wave and Surge) you can drive every screw on the planet (except for a few recessed ones and the proper hex bit will let you drive those too). I almost laughed when someone suggested earlier in this thread that using Leatherman's Universal Tool Adapter (no longer in production) on a Spirit can overcome this weakness.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #55 on: October 03, 2015, 07:55:20 PM
Woodman, I have to agree with you.

I marred the philips on my Spirit with kind of shocking ease. I wasn't doing anything abusive to it at the time either. I LOVE the Spirit, but it's far from perfect.

I traded my Spirit away and reacquired a Wave. I like the Wave marginally better.

I also like the Wave marginally better than the Rebar. So, as I don't have a Spirit in-hand to compare to a Rebar, I can't say which of those two I prefer.

I can say this: As a cheap-smurf, the Rebar is VASTLY more budget friendly.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: October 03, 2015, 08:40:38 PM
Ive snapped even lm's  drivers so neither indestructible in my eyes,but then too me a mt or sak is as a back up and never as good as a dedicated tool  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: October 03, 2015, 09:09:46 PM
Everybody is glossing over the fact that the big weakness of all Victorinox tools (including both Swisstools and SAKs) are the drivers.  They are undeniably weak, little better than emergency or occasional-use tools. The steel is too soft, they are just not for hard-use. 

Driving something other than #1 or #2 Phillips or slotted screws?  Forget it with Victorinox (except for maybe the Cybertools). With a Bit Kit and the Removeable Bit Driver (for the Rebar) or the Bit Driver Extender (for the Wave and Surge) you can drive every screw on the planet (except for a few recessed ones and the proper hex bit will let you drive those too). I almost laughed when someone suggested earlier in this thread that using Leatherman's Universal Tool Adapter (no longer in production) on a Spirit can overcome this weakness.

The counter arguement to this, is the bit wrench supplied with some of the Swisstools, and /or the ratchet supplied with some of the Spirit's. Both are available seperately, and the bit wrench has got me out of a fix a few times by reaching awkward screws that no current Leatherman offering would have accessed. Also, the Leatherman bit extensions (some of which are compatible on Vic models BTW) is still limited to the strength of the tool it is used on, unlike the Vic bit wrench
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:11:52 PM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: October 03, 2015, 09:11:51 PM

The counter arguement to this, is the bit wrench supplied with some of the Swisstools, and /or the ratchet supplied with some of the Spirit's. Both are available seperately, and the bit wrench has got me out of a fix a few times by reaching awkward screws that no current Leatherman offering would have accessed.

Have too say that the bit wrench is on my wish list Al  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 03, 2015, 09:12:45 PM
You'll not regret it mate, it's an excellent piece of kit  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62