Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit vs. Rebar?

ToolJoe · 101 · 10800

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Swisstool Spirit vs. Rebar?
Reply #60 on: October 03, 2015, 09:18:09 PM
You'll not regret it mate, it's an excellent piece of kit  :tu:

:tu: ive seen them on ebay for around £15 is this a good price? Plus would need the pouch too fit both spirit and kit  :think:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #61 on: October 03, 2015, 09:24:07 PM
Not sure on the prices mate to be honest. I think the cat man had some on EDC Source, so that would be a good comparison. I got mine many years ago with my Swisstool CS Plus (basically a Swisstool X with the lerger sheath, bit set, corkscrew, and mini driver. I'm actually considering selling the Swisstool, but not the accessory parts  :D

As for the equivalent ratchet, I don't have the Spirit one, but I have got a Topeak Ratchet Rocket which has come in useful a few times  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: October 03, 2015, 09:28:06 PM
Not sure on the prices mate to be honest. I think the cat man had some on EDC Source, so that would be a good comparison. I got mine many years ago with my Swisstool CS Plus (basically a Swisstool X with the lerger sheath, bit set, corkscrew, and mini driver. I'm actually considering selling the Swisstool, but not the accessory parts  :D

As for the equivalent ratchet, I don't have the Spirit one, but I have got a Topeak Ratchet Rocket which has come in useful a few times  :tu:

cheers Al  :salute: ive got a mini ratchet but fancy vics kit  :salute: i might eventually get another swisstool for work  :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: October 03, 2015, 09:33:39 PM
I wanted to get the vic ratchet but it was too expensive by itself. I got this one instead for 12 bucks
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: October 03, 2015, 09:37:01 PM
I wanted to get the vic ratchet but it was too expensive by itself. I got this one instead for 12 bucks (Image removed from quote.)

ive got a similar ratchet  :tu: just fancied the kit as i like the way its held together as a kit  :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: October 03, 2015, 09:40:51 PM
I wanted to get the vic ratchet but it was too expensive by itself. I got this one instead for 12 bucks (Image removed from quote.)

ive got a similar ratchet  :tu: just fancied the kit as i like the way its held together as a kit  :tu:
I wanted to but my budget and my wife disagreed.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #66 on: October 03, 2015, 09:42:09 PM
Some time ago I had my brother to compare between Swisstool and ST300: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59086.0.html

It really comes down to how much you want to pay, what do you prefer to feel about your tool.

If you are a MT addict and like to play with your MT, (which my brother is not) you should get the Spirit.
If you don't care about the MT just want something to get the job done, (like my brother) you should get the Rebar.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: October 03, 2015, 09:44:21 PM
Some time ago I had my brother to compare between Swisstool and ST300: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59086.0.html

It really comes down to how much you want to pay, what do you prefer to feel about your tool.

If you are a MT addict and like to play with your MT, (which my brother is not) you should get the Spirit.
If you don't care about the MT just want something to get the job done, (like my brother) you should get the Rebar.

i agree,the spirits got that fiddle factor  :D

us Offline WoodMan

Reply #68 on: October 03, 2015, 10:05:22 PM
Everybody is glossing over the fact that the big weakness of all Victorinox tools (including both Swisstools and SAKs) are the drivers.  They are undeniably weak, little better than emergency or occasional-use tools. The steel is too soft, they are just not for hard-use. 

Driving something other than #1 or #2 Phillips or slotted screws?  Forget it with Victorinox (except for maybe the Cybertools). With a Bit Kit and the Removeable Bit Driver (for the Rebar) or the Bit Driver Extender (for the Wave and Surge) you can drive every screw on the planet (except for a few recessed ones and the proper hex bit will let you drive those too). I almost laughed when someone suggested earlier in this thread that using Leatherman's Universal Tool Adapter (no longer in production) on a Spirit can overcome this weakness.

The counter arguement to this, is the bit wrench supplied with some of the Swisstools, and /or the ratchet supplied with some of the Spirit's. Both are available seperately, and the bit wrench has got me out of a fix a few times by reaching awkward screws that no current Leatherman offering would have accessed. Also, the Leatherman bit extensions (some of which are compatible on Vic models BTW) is still limited to the strength of the tool it is used on, unlike the Vic bit wrench

By the time you load up all that extra Swisstool smurf you might as well be carrying a Chapman 5575, a full set of standard drivers, or a full-size ratchet driver that stores spare bits in the handle. I've got a Surge, both Bit Kit cards, a Bit Driver Extender, and a AAA light in a Skinth XL Shield with room to spare. I've got a way better selection of bits in a smaller package.  A Rebar with the same accessories would be even smaller.

I'm with Kampfer.  If you want something shiny and slippery to play with, get a Spirit (I have two Spirit Xs, by the way).  If you need to do real work, get a Rebar (or even better, a Surge).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:10:47 PM by WoodMan »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #69 on: October 03, 2015, 10:09:20 PM
I think this is a important point but no one mentioned it.
My interpretation of what my brother's view:
More fine motor skill and visual guidance are required when using the swisstool (locate the tool visually, place finger nail on nail nick, some tools have nicks on this side while others have nicks on the other side) comparing to ST300.

Close your eyes, think of an implement, reach for the MT, pull it out...
Faster on Rebar or Spirit?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:11:15 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #70 on: October 03, 2015, 11:02:08 PM
Everybody is glossing over the fact that the big weakness of all Victorinox tools (including both Swisstools and SAKs) are the drivers.  They are undeniably weak, little better than emergency or occasional-use tools. The steel is too soft, they are just not for hard-use. 

Driving something other than #1 or #2 Phillips or slotted screws?  Forget it with Victorinox (except for maybe the Cybertools). With a Bit Kit and the Removeable Bit Driver (for the Rebar) or the Bit Driver Extender (for the Wave and Surge) you can drive every screw on the planet (except for a few recessed ones and the proper hex bit will let you drive those too). I almost laughed when someone suggested earlier in this thread that using Leatherman's Universal Tool Adapter (no longer in production) on a Spirit can overcome this weakness.

The counter arguement to this, is the bit wrench supplied with some of the Swisstools, and /or the ratchet supplied with some of the Spirit's. Both are available seperately, and the bit wrench has got me out of a fix a few times by reaching awkward screws that no current Leatherman offering would have accessed. Also, the Leatherman bit extensions (some of which are compatible on Vic models BTW) is still limited to the strength of the tool it is used on, unlike the Vic bit wrench

By the time you load up all that extra Swisstool smurf you might as well be carrying a Chapman 5575, a full set of standard drivers, or a full-size ratchet driver that stores spare bits in the handle. I've got a Surge, both Bit Kit cards, a Bit Driver Extender, and a AAA light in a Skinth XL Shield with room to spare. I've got a way better selection of bits in a smaller package.  A Rebar with the same accessories would be even smaller.

I'm with Kampfer.  If you want something shiny and slippery to play with, get a Spirit (I have two Spirit Xs, by the way).  If you need to do real work, get a Rebar (or even better, a Surge).

I ALWAYS want something whiney and slippery to play with.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: October 03, 2015, 11:02:48 PM
I have too say one of my favourite work mt's was the surge  :salute: i do regret getting rid of that one  :-\

ca Offline Dem

Reply #72 on: October 03, 2015, 11:03:06 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how wide the pliers open on the Rebar compared to the Spirit.

Swisstool plier heads to me look like the sturdiest of the bunch when it comes to LM/Vic/SOG/Gerber, which is a real shame because they just don't open wide enough. The full sized Swisstool is no better. I want a MT on hand so that I don't have to go to a toolbox. If I'm changing a showerhead or something, a Vic means I'm out of luck.

I've ended up pretty much always carrying a Rebar and a CT34. Best of both worlds. A little impractical. But boy does it give you a lot of tools (though you miss out on the awesome chisel.)

For most people though, I'd say the Spirit is the better choice.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #73 on: October 03, 2015, 11:05:51 PM
Anyone have a link to the kitty tool store?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

au Offline Scoon

Reply #76 on: October 05, 2015, 07:21:24 AM
Ive snapped even lm's  drivers so neither indestructible in my eyes,but then too me a mt or sak is as a back up and never as good as a dedicated tool  :tu:

@Zed True, but the best tool is the one you have with you :P

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: October 05, 2015, 08:20:29 AM
Ive snapped even lm's  drivers so neither indestructible in my eyes,but then too me a mt or sak is as a back up and never as good as a dedicated tool  :tu:

This is said a lot on MTO  ;) and is very true  :salute:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #78 on: October 05, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
I have another thought on my Spirit vs basically any other MT situation.  The Spirit is essentially a SAK in plier based MT form.  Now while this could and likely is seen as a good thing, I think it turns me off of it a bit.  The Rebar, or most other MTs, feel like a good companion to my MechaRogue (or Rogueneer).  However, the Spirit almost makes them feel unnecessary or redundant, and my MechaRogue's  not having that ;)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: October 05, 2015, 04:45:17 PM

This is said a lot on MTO  ;) and is very true  :salute:
Yeah, but here at MTO we choose which one we will have with us so its kind of a circular argument:

Which is the best MT to carry?
The best MT is the one you carry!

Also, by that logic and because there are some people that actually carry the Thread, by definition this makes the Thread part of the elite group of best MTs :ahhh
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: October 05, 2015, 04:49:52 PM
I have another thought on my Spirit vs basically any other MT situation.  The Spirit is essentially a SAK in plier based MT form.  Now while this could and likely is seen as a good thing, I think it turns me off of it a bit.  The Rebar, or most other MTs, feel like a good companion to my MechaRogue (or Rogueneer).  However, the Spirit almost makes them feel unnecessary or redundant, and my MechaRogue's  not having that ;)

Isn't the MechaRogue supposed to be a stand alone SAK :think:? I mean certainly its pliers are redundant in combination with any pliers based MT.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #81 on: October 05, 2015, 04:50:26 PM

:rofl:

So basically, the Spirit is too good and detracts from your precious modded SAKs, whereas the Rebar is bad enough to still make the SAKs look good....

Interesting logic path you have going there  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #82 on: October 05, 2015, 04:55:08 PM

Isn't the MechaRogue supposed to be a stand alone SAK :think:? I mean certainly its pliers are redundant in combination with any pliers based MT.
Big E my man :)  You are correct as that is how I designed/intended it to be.  More for when it is all I can carry, like in gym shorts/pants, or other lighter pants.  The SAK pliers are more as beefy tweezers for me.  The MT pliers are handy for certain tasks at work mostly, but I enjoy having them just in case.  So yes, there is a degree of redundancy regardless of what MT I carry.  The Spirit just makes it seem even more so to be the case.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #83 on: October 05, 2015, 05:03:12 PM

So basically, the Spirit is too good and detracts from your precious modded SAKs, whereas the Rebar is bad enough to still make the SAKs look good....

Interesting logic path you have going there  :D
Lol, sadly I think you have the right idea in that I favor my MechaRogue ;)  Although I don't think of the Rebar as a bad MT, rather, it's actually one of my favorites.  Heck, I just like carrying MT/SAK combos, even if I don't "need" both much :D

K-Tibbs

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:38 PM

Big E my man :)  You are correct as that is how I designed/intended it to be.  More for when it is all I can carry, like in gym shorts/pants, or other lighter pants.  The SAK pliers are more as beefy tweezers for me.  The MT pliers are handy for certain tasks at work mostly, but I enjoy having them just in case.  So yes, there is a degree of redundancy regardless of what MT I carry.  The Spirit just makes it seem even more so to be the case.

Girl: What's that in your pants
Monrogue: Oh, thats my MechaRogue
Girl: Cute name
Monorogue: Wanna see it?
Girl:  :ahhh
Monorogue: But it's so pretty, I have lots of pictures of it on the internet...
Girl: 

::) :P

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #85 on: October 05, 2015, 06:30:14 PM

Girl:  (Image removed from quote.)

I am thinking you need to get out more.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #86 on: October 05, 2015, 06:34:49 PM

K-Tibbs

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #87 on: October 05, 2015, 06:49:11 PM
Spirit :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: October 05, 2015, 10:12:38 PM

Girl:  (Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #89 on: October 05, 2015, 10:18:40 PM
However, the Spirit almost makes them feel unnecessary or redundant, and my MechaRogue's  not having that ;)

You send that Spirit right over here and I guarantee you I'll make sure it never does that to your MechaRogue ever again  :D

Another vote for the Spirit here. Never had a Rebar but the Spirit is a splendid piece of design and engineering  :drink:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:20:47 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69