Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Tool 300 durability?

Ullis · 24 · 1900

fi Offline Ullis

Super Tool 300 durability?
on: November 11, 2015, 08:56:10 PM
Hello!

Has anyone who ones a ST 300 had any problems?

I'm going to buy one as a christmas gift for my father and want to get the one that is durable and heavy-duty.

Also is the customer support good?

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Re: Super Tool 300 durability?
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:27 PM
First, welcome to the forum.

I have 2 ST300s.  I've used them hard with zero issues. My favorite multi tool, by far.

Leatherman customer service is second to none.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

fi Offline Ullis

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:04:31 PM
Thank you Pipedreams for answering, now I know that the ST 300 is the right one for me.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:23:23 PM
I don't have the ST300 (Surge all the way for me  :tu: ), but many people on this forum and elsewhere swear by them. And like Pipedreams said, Leatherman's CS is top notch.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:44:10 PM
Can't go wrong with a Supertool of any flavor old or new  :tu:

Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 09:49:43 PM
I have one, definitely earns its description as "heavy duty".  The only thing I'll say is that it doesn't have the springs under the plier heads that say the Wave or Rebar do.  So the handles are kind of loose or floppy.  This doesn't mean it is weaker in any way, it just sometimes feels weaker.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:45:53 PM
I've had the 300 and it is a beast. Great pliers, real drivers, multiple blade options. Good choice. Maybe think about pairing it with a Victorinox Compact. He should love it.  Welcome to the forum :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 11:03:47 PM
Welcome to the forums.

I don't have a ST300, I just wanted to say that a member here has commented about the file on it being ornamental. That word has stuck with me. :shrug:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:30:28 PM
Welcome to the forums.

I don't have a ST300, I just wanted to say that a member here has commented about the file on it being ornamental. That word has stuck with me. :shrug:
That's kind of an odd description. I only had a ST300 for a short time, but the file was excellent. Far more aggressive than any of the files on my Gerber or SOGs, or even the Wave I had for just as short a time. Plus it was super long, and quite thick (sturdy, but makes it a poor metal saw)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:31:03 PM
Another fan of the ST family from LM.  I have used both the OG ST and the ST300 and can say they are both heavy duty.  The ST300 is a handful so large hands a plus for this tool.  I've used the file and actually feel it's an improvement over the OG ST.  I've not had the opportunity to cut anything other than 6061 aluminum and some file down some steel burrs.  The file did a great job on both.  25 year warranty so tell dad go hard on this tool with no worry.
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 12:21:34 AM
Welcome to the forums.

That's kind of an odd description. I only had a ST300 for a short time, but the file was excellent. Far more aggressive than any of the files on my Gerber or SOGs, or even the Wave I had for just as short a time. Plus it was super long, and quite thick (sturdy, but makes it a poor metal saw)

I wouldn't know so I'll have to take your word for it. I just thought I'd bring this up in case more info on this subject could be shared :salute:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:22:40 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 12:44:24 AM
I would say they are rugged and durable tools, but I don't use them. I find the tool too bulky, and the handles too splayed. The replaceable wire cutters encroach on the main gripping area, the awl isn't very pointy, and having "inboard" knives and saw, means they are more limited in function than "outboard" ones.

If none of these aspects cause a problem, then the tool should serve your Father well for many years

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 12:53:57 AM
The ST300 is a very tough and durable MT.  I have one that I carry and use quite often, and it is serving me well.

I gave my father a Rebar for Christmas a couple of years ago, and he carries and uses it every day.  It's basically a smaller version of the ST300.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 01:20:37 AM
My brother breaks everything, except his ST300
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 07:57:11 PM
I only have duplicates of two multies, two Vic Spirits and two of LM ST300. Those are the ones I wouldn't want to be without so I have backups. :D Also I got one of them as a gift from a admin team member who has since passed away so it has a sentimental value for me                                                                                                                                                                       .

The ST300 is really a tough tool, strong blade, strong screwdrivers, strong everything. But there are some drawbacks to it as well. It has rather thick handles and they open up pretty wide, or as 50ft-trad said, the handle spray is a bit big so they are not really suited for people with smaller hands. I have glove size 10 hands and it can sometimes be a problem for me too.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:31 AM
A couple of years ago I got the ST 300. I liked it so much that I got an other one just in case the first one would fail or break. Completely unnecessary that one never got any use. :D

us Offline BASguy

Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 02:41:23 AM
Uhhhhh it's a beast.  It remains a bright spot in the increasingly cloudy landscape at Leatherman.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 05:39:05 AM
I am very fond of my ST300.  I wish it had scissors, but I carry it with a pair of electrician's scissors to make up for it not having a built in set, and the electrician's scissors are probably better anyway.  I've never been quite as comfortable with the Rebar. To me the Rebar feels like it has too many sharp edges.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:40:36 AM by Alan K. »

Offline hammerlykins

Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 06:20:27 AM
I absolutely love mine; I upsized from the Wave a year ago because it just wasn't quite heavy duty enough for work. So far the ST 300 has been amazing...I unfortunately busted the tip off the smallest flathead driver but I sent it in for repairs. I miss my baby already :(

On the plus side I have a couple Waves to hold me over in the meantime haha
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:22:24 AM by hammerlykins »

us Offline David

Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 06:27:30 AM
I've used a ST300 at work since it came out in 09. It is still going strong after six years of use.     :tu:     :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 11:03:58 PM
A bit late to the thread, but...

My ST300 is my most heavily used Leatherman. It gets used around the home, on building sites, in the garden and everywhere in-between. It holds up really well, I'm very happy with its durability.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 01:10:54 PM
I have a very good friend who has used a Super Tool on and off duty since 1996 and has never had a single issue (he is not a multitool guy, he uses it because it works). If the 300 is anything like the original it should be the last tool anyone needs...except MTO members :salute:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 02:37:06 PM
My cuz the fireman/paramedic has one on his duty belt at work....no probs, he loves it!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 04:58:01 PM
I had two ST300. Both were good quality and hell of a workers. Now i have new style Surge, and i love it.

I really liked ST300 more than my Rebar. ST has more wobbly handles than Rebar, but it still feels more sturdier and fits hand better than Rebar. I do not know  to say it better.

And yes, warranty works good on LM Finland.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%