Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Talk me out of buying a Swisschamp

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Talk me out of buying a Swisschamp
Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 05:17:31 PM
What has the Swisschamp got that you think you need that your CT mod hasn't got?

Seems like you already have the superior SAK.

Also, using the large flat head on the SC is awkward, since it is so far off-center.

Whittling is awkward, since it is so thick.

As a matter of fact, a lot of its tools are compromised, due to the thickness.

It is a legendary SAK, but it is overrated, IMO. The main thing it brought to the table was the Plus scales.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 05:28:29 PM
As a guy with big hands, I have no trouble working with either the SC or SC XLT but guys with smaller hands might run into this situation.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 05:43:10 PM
Swisschamp eh totally overrated.

On my phone so you all will have to put up with multiple responses since I can't seem to multi quote.

Aloha you suck.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 05:43:50 PM
A Cybertool 41 would complement the Swisschamp in your other front pocket.
And you wouldn't walk lopsided !
And at night when they both repose on the nightstand they have SO much in common they'll chat all night.
So get both !

You Sir are a strange duck.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 05:44:52 PM
Love it whenever seeing a fellow toolaholic comes here for help... >:D

Please don't forget posting a new thread and link back here.  :popcorn:

Yeah I have one on the way so of course I will.

Sigh.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 05:47:51 PM
CT41 beats Swisschamp. If you need a mag glass, put a fresnel lens in your wallet, or get a True Utility Eyeglass

With theeye infection I brought home from Iraq I really want the mag glass.

So it rules out the 41, plus they are so expensive now.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 05:48:51 PM
Harley, if you buy a Swisschamp, I will  :twak: you over the head and take it from you (YES, even with all your military training).

This is your final warning: DO NOT BUY A SWISS CHAMP!!  :pok:  >:D

Finally someone who is on board. To bad I am not scared of you even a little.

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 06:00:51 PM
For the money, they're cool. The standard version is a reasonable 60-70$ while the XAVT, XLT and so forth are overpriced in my opinion. Don't think about pocket carrying it though, it's definitely something to be carried in a pouch. Furthermore, I have done scales for several Swisschamps and they all turned out great :)
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 06:18:22 PM
What has the Swisschamp got that you think you need that your CT mod hasn't got?

Also, using the large flat head on the SC is awkward, since it is so far off-center.

Whittling is awkward, since it is so thick.

As a matter of fact, a lot of its tools are compromised, due to the thickness.

It is a legendary SAK, but it is overrated, IMO. The main thing it brought to the table was the Plus scales.

Agreed the SC is wide and some of the tools can be awkward but all the tools are there for me the awkwardness of some of the tools is a fair trade off to have all the tools I need. Personally it's not over rated for me it's the most useful Mt I have ever used. The only tool I don't use very often is the chisel. I often think of how I would mod my SC to make it better and realize the only thing to really make it better is to ad a bit driver so XLT maby.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:24 PM
You don't need a Swisschamp you need two. >:D
+1 :2tu: ... at least.

However, let's go nice and easy, without overtaking and overstretching. The process of buying a SwissChamp is quite simple, piece of cake or pie :D
For make it even easier, you can follow this well-known five stages buying process framework:
1. Need/problem recognition
2. Information search
3. Evaluation
4. Purchase decision - where the purchase takes place
5. Post-purchase behaviour

1. Afaics you've already recognized the problem, i. e. The "need" - well done! :tu:
2. Afaics you're at the right place/time and deep in the process - almost done! :tu:
3. Afaics by now (see #1,2) you already know SwissChamp is The SAK - great! :tu:
4. Afaics this is the easiest and funniest part: Tim, Ebay... - you can't go wrong :tu:
5. Afaics neither this step would be an issue for you - post Champ's pics on here :tu:

Afaics you're ready, just do it! :pok:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:43 PM

Will take your points in order.

I use a saw a lot around the house so would like to have one.

I agree my CT with mag layer is awesome but would love a saw and honestly use the CT driver for its phillips 9 times out of 10. Remains to be seen if I miss the reach and other bits.

I see what you are saying about the flathead but all MTs are a compromise at some level.

Meh, I already added plus scales to my CT mod.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 06:47:39 PM
For the money, they're cool. The standard version is a reasonable 60-70$ while the XAVT, XLT and so forth are overpriced in my opinion. Don't think about pocket carrying it though, it's definitely something to be carried in a pouch. Furthermore, I have done scales for several Swisschamps and they all turned out great :)

Can you do wood with pen, tweezers and the toothpick slot?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 06:56:56 PM
Swiss Champ? Have you even got a Surge yet?

That's us mobile.
Nate

Oh yes, have a pocket clip and some Bosch saw blades for it too. Had it for about two months now and it is my go to if there is any chance real work will be done.

Picture I took at truck driving school.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 07:03:38 PM
Swiss Champ? Have you even got a Surge yet?

That's us mobile.
Nate

Oh yes, have a pocket clip and some Bosch saw blades for it too. Had it for about two months now and it is my go to if there is any chance real work will be done.

Picture I took at truck driving school.
Very nice man!

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 07:39:51 PM
Well see... the fishscaler is the best tool on the champ and as luck would have it, this model is still available!

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 07:42:12 PM
The Swisschamp is wide yes.  I would argue however using the tools is not unlike using a large frame MTs inboard tools.  The ST300 for example is wide and by nature some interior tools by are off center as well, like most MTs.  It's short body as compared however aids me ( grip wise ) when using the offset tools.       

Overrated  :think:.  That's always up for debate.  The SC packs a huge punch tool wise and the plus scales just add to it.  Having this "mini" tool box that fits in a pocket the SC earns it's well deserved reputation IMO. 

Last two pics are SC on top of ST300 and vise versa. 

IMG_9224.jpg
* IMG_9224.jpg (Filesize: 161.76 KB)
IMG_9223.jpg
* IMG_9223.jpg (Filesize: 177.92 KB)
IMG_9225.jpg
* IMG_9225.jpg (Filesize: 164.12 KB)
IMG_9226.jpg
* IMG_9226.jpg (Filesize: 159.96 KB)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:44:20 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 07:52:59 PM
Well see... the fishscaler is the best tool on the champ and as luck would have it, this model is still available!

(Image removed from quote.)

I would buy that
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 07:55:50 PM
This morning Mr. Harley succumbed to pressure.  Basically I made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  >:D  Just doing my part as an enabler around here.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 08:01:11 PM
This morning Mr. Harley succumbed to pressure.  Basically I made him an offer he couldn't refuse>:D  Just doing my part as an enabler around here.......

That's how it's done in Jersey, so I'm told  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 08:04:02 PM
This morning Mr. Harley succumbed to pressure.  Basically I made him an offer he couldn't refuse>:D  Just doing my part as an enabler around here.......

That's how it's done in Jersey, so I'm told  :D

I will neither confirm nor deny that statement.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 09:56:05 PM
This morning Mr. Harley succumbed to pressure.  Basically I made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  >:D  Just doing my part as an enabler around here.......
Now to introduce him to the flicky faith. I'm gonna leave that in your capable hands Tom  >:D
SAW

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 10:11:39 PM

Can you do wood with pen, tweezers and the toothpick slot?

Toothpick and tweezers - yes. The pen - I don't recommend it on wood due to some poor previous experience. G10, micarta etc. is doable
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 11:27:30 PM
Now to introduce him to the flicky faith. I'm gonna leave that in your capable hands Tom  >:D

I have been a fan of the flick since the Army started giving them to us years ago.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 11:37:17 PM

I have been a fan of the flick since the Army started giving them to us years ago.

I was going to say, I'm sure you've handled the issue MP600.....

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 11:43:09 PM

Still I like the thought.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 03:19:20 AM

Still I like the thought.
That's too cool. Long live the flicky!! :cheers:
SAW

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 12:49:38 PM

That's great :D  Presumably this is an indication of how many of your customers ask you to remove the fish scaler... do you also have one that's all parcel hooks? ;)

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:07 PM
 I like the scaler.  The fish scaler is an great pokey, forkey, backscratchery tool.  It's like the hook;  it's a tool with lots of uses if you put your mind to it.

We all know you should get a swisshcamp. It's *the* iconic SAK.  But I'll throw up some arguments against it:

1. Why carry a file and saw when you don't use them every day? If the only time I use a saw is at home then I'll use a dedicated tool over a SAK. A SAK is for when I'm away from home and tools.

2. Take a look at the Craftsman or Handyman: same tool load minus the mag glass, inline driver, and scaler. Those two models would be lighter than a swisschamp while offering just about as much utility.

3. Weight. Almost 7 ounces of steel in your pocket gets heavy for some people. See #2 above. A Craftsman or Handyman are about 1 1/2 ounces lighter which translates into a noticeable difference when carried in the pocket.

.... and that' about the only arguments I have against one.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:23:21 PM by shamus »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 03:03:52 PM

That's great :D  Presumably this is an indication of how many of your customers ask you to remove the fish scaler... do you also have one that's all parcel hooks? ;)

I have about 400 plain parcel hooks.  I could make that into a trophy hunting necklace i guess.  Like animal hunters did with teeth.  Lol
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 03:34:06 PM

Why would you tease me like this.

We all know this is the pinnacle of your craftsmanship and that it will never go.upnfor sale at any price.

Which is a shame since I got 1000 dollars I.would glady pay for this piece of SAK.history.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%