Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Safe way to deal with cat's?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Safe way to deal with cat's?
Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:32 AM
Put some chickenwire or some other thin and relatively small fencing a inch or two under the soil...the cats will start to dig, hit the fencing, then take off and try to make a toilet elsewhere.

In theroey of course, never know until you try!
The bugger's jump the fence ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:54 AM
An enviromentally friendly way to get rid of them is to have Cat Meat on your menu  :D :P :D Just kidding (or am I?) One solution is to have a water gun ready nothing scare cats away like a good bath.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 10:31:18 AM
Yes, refer to this thread.
I was thinking along the same lines.  :D

Personally, I don't find that very funny. I have an inkling certain banner advertisers here might agree. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Micky, don't know if this info is of use. I only googled for a few seconds.

My wife works with a feral cat agency and the humane society, so I can ask her for some info if this stuff doesn't work.

You might check with the local shelters and vets if they have any neutering programs in place in your neighbourhood as well.
Thanks for the link mate :)

Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 10:32:47 AM
An enviromentally friendly way to get rid of them is to have Cat Meat on your menu  :D :P :D Just kidding (or am I?) One solution is to have a water gun ready nothing scare cats away like a good bath.
A mate of mine suggested a water pistol with a water/washing detergent mix in it, said it worked everytime :)

Grant you know I want another dog, but now's just not the right time unfortunately :(

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 10:56:05 AM
Supersoaker.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 05:09:53 PM
I guess I'm lucky.  My city will take care of these things.  As a matter of fact, my wife and I just recently called animal control on my next door neighbors.  They have 8 or more cats that are not licensed with the city and roam the neighborhood.  They jump my fence and crap in my yard.  I think you can guess what I mean when I say that one of my dogs will rid her territory of any foreign animal waste.

Animal control in this area will drive by three or four times a day looking for their cats.  If they see one, they will catch it and take it to the humane society, where there will be a $50 fine to retrieve each cat that my neighbor can prove ownership of.  If that doesn't work, they'll give me a trap to trap the cats in.  Then I just call animal control and they'll pick them up.
- Terry

spam Offline EM745

Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 05:27:17 PM
A "safe" way to deal with cats? Safe for who, you or the cats?  :D

Have you tried mothballs?

Maybe get one of those portable, pressurized car washers that run off an air compressor. That'll REALLY get their attention.  :pok:

Obviously, airguns are a BAD idea. You'd need big muzzle energy to get a "humane" kill (that 0.177 caliber Daisy just won't cut it). And hi-powered airguns are expensive and noisy. They'll attract the attention of neighbors, and cops. (I'm saying this in case lurkers reading this topic get any funny ideas.  :police: )

Maybe getting another dog is the best solution. Racing hounds (greyhound, whippet) are THE dog to get in this case. They're well-tempered and make great pets, but they also instinctively chase down (and kill) anything that runs away from them, including cats. And with greyhounds being the speed demons that they are, those cats of yours would have one hell of a time trying to escape.  >:D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 08:24:48 PM
well.... if id see some one let his dog kill brutally a cat,id let loose my pitbul and let it take care of the animal torturer.
clean kill is ok if the cat is PROOFED to be a homeless.but othervise killing animals for fun or just for being tight minded animal hater,its sadistic,and they should get their head checked before animals arent enough and u climb to the church tower with hunting rifle :D.

spam Offline EM745

Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 11:02:53 PM
well.... if id see some one let his dog kill brutally a cat,id let loose my pitbul and let it take care of the animal torturer.

For the record, I'm not talking about siccing one's dog on a cat.

I'm talking about when a dog is on its owner's property, properly restrained (on a leash or fenced in), and a cat happens to "stray" inside the dog's "kill zone." THEN I say it's fair game.

If cat owners aren't okay with that, then they shouldn't let them out to roam freely in the first place.

clean kill is ok if the cat is PROOFED to be a homeless.

A stray is a stray is a stray, whether it has a legit owner or not.

Again, if cat owners aren't okay with that, they know what they have to do.

but othervise killing animals for fun or just for being tight minded animal hater,its sadistic,and they should get their head checked

I would argue that cat owners who let their cats roam freely should also "get their head checked."

Aside from the enormous ecological damage they cause to native prey species (and by competing with native predator species), they are also a nuissance: they leave smelly "deposits" on other people's property, they rummage through garbage and storage sheds, they tear up gardens, and they can scratch up your car when they climb/jump on it for whatever reason.

Also, letting your cat out subjects it to all sorts of (deadly) hazards: hostile wildlife (racoons, foxes, coyotes, owls...), dogs, cars, vigilante homeowners, feline diseases, etc.

Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 11:35:26 PM
Well I seem to have opened a bit of a can of worms, didn't I :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 11:59:32 PM
Well I seem to have opened a bit of a can of worms, didn't I :D

Haven't you just!
I'm back!!

Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 12:01:20 AM
It's ok though...I used my Farmer on the can :D :D

I'll get my coat :-[

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 12:03:53 AM

No need, here you go. :D

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 12:04:49 AM

No need, here you go. :D

Mike
Thanks for the support :( :D :D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 12:06:59 AM
Mickyd, calling animal control I think is the best solution, do you have anything equivalent to animal control?
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:20 AM
Mickyd, calling animal control I think is the best solution, do you have anything equivalent to animal control?
Not to deal with random cat's crapping no :(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 12:12:39 AM

:D :D

They'd have a job in every garden.
I'm back!!

Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 12:13:32 AM

:D :D

They'd have a job in every garden.
Tell me about it ::)

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:11 AM
Too bad, I think you have to get a litter box so your yard wouldn't have crap mines. In fairness to cats they are clean when it comes to crapping if you have a litter box with sand they cover it up, but too bad if you have a sand box play pen for the kids  :P

Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 12:18:23 AM
Too bad, I think you have to get a litter box so your yard wouldn't have crap mines. In fairness to cats they are clean when it comes to crapping if you have a litter box with sand they cover it up, but too bad if you have a sand box play pen for the kids  :P
No the cat's seem to like to crap by my washing line best ::)

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 12:21:21 AM
No the cat's seem to like to crap by my washing line best ::)
Always thought they like to do it on sandy soil.

Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 12:22:31 AM
No there happy to do it anywhere, but mainly down there ::)

Sometimes I wish I wasn't an animal lover >:D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 12:36:29 AM
try scrapping the soil from where they like to crap most and put it in a box where they can climb in and do their thing. wierd, all I have to do here in our place is to put sandy soil where I want them to do it. Guess Asian cats are more disciplined than European cats  :D

Offline kent ct

Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 01:15:14 AM
clean kill is ok if the cat is PROOFED to be a homeless.but othervise killing animals for fun or just for being tight minded animal hater,its sadistic,and they should get their head checked before animals arent enough and u climb to the church tower with hunting rifle :D.
You always seem to say the right thing. I have gotten a mental picture of you as a big tough guy with a good heart and a head that is screwed on straight.

I am old enough to remember the Winter War and what an inspiration the Finnish resistance was to the whole world. I think you are made of the same stuff as those heroes.

It was an Englishman in the 1920s (Eliot Howard) who first formulated the theory that birds sing to establish and defend a territory. No far away expedition to exotic places but just observing in his own backyard with eyes that could see where others could not. This led in time to the recognition that many other species including humans also defend a territory leading to resentment and aggression toward anything that dares to invade that sacred ground.

As an animal lover I welcome any animal that comes onto my property. The skunks dig holes. The moles make tunnels. The deer eat the shrubs. The raccoons trash the bird feeder, and the chipmunks make burrows. The deer mice keep trying to nest in the lawn mower. I would not have it any other way as I feel amply rewarded just to watch them.

I realize that others do not feel as I do. What I would do,is to do what Def suggested, which is to put in a sand box for them to use. At least it would be easier to clean. The cats are probably using your yard because they feel safe there. All animals are at a disadvantage when defecating, so try to find privacy just as we do.

Cats are hunters and it is natural for them to roam. Konrad Lorenze could not bear to restrict his cats even though he realized they would not live as long. He felt that by restricting them they would not be the natural animal he loved. He went on to win a Nobel prize for his animal studies and is known as the father of the science of Ethology. If you would like some insight into human aggression read his book "On Aggression" all derived from his animal studies.

So perhaps Micky D could also win a prize by studying how and why and where cats crap. I think we could all live longer and more peaceful lives by practicing more tolerance toward people and animals.

Richard  

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 01:39:59 AM

Just a word of warning - in most places, calling animal control is essentially the equivalent of having them killed.

If you don't want them killed, you often need to contact a no-kill animal shelter or animal rescue organization.
[

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: August 20, 2008, 01:44:08 AM
I think thats better too, and they castrate or spay the cat before they put them for adoption.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #56 on: August 20, 2008, 01:50:41 AM

Cats are hunters and it is natural for them to roam. Konrad Lorenze could not bear to restrict his cats even though he realized they would not live as long. He felt that by restricting them they would not be the natural animal he loved. He went on to win a Nobel prize for his animal studies and is known as the father of the science of Ethology. If you would like some insight into human aggression read his book "On Aggression" all derived from his animal studies.

Cats are also invasive specie that can and have wrecked havoc on the native ecosystem, caused extinction to many others.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2008, 01:51:47 AM

Cats are also invasive specie that can and have wrecked havoc on the native ecosystem, caused extinction to many others.

Yes, they are very much like people...
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #58 on: August 20, 2008, 02:02:03 AM
Except human are not deliberately introduced invasive specie.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 20, 2008, 02:09:57 AM
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:13:24 AM by max6166 »
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30