Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerAssist VS Leatherman Surge for a left hander

au Offline SuperDavid

SOG PowerAssist VS Leatherman Surge for a left hander
on: October 17, 2015, 03:28:38 PM
I recently bought a SOG Power Assist and I really like it! With my left hand I can open both the blades but can only open the serrated blade with ease without looking.   The pliers open easily one handed with a flick of the wrist and the compound leverage is a big plus.

Not too long later I bought the Leatherman Surge off a member on this forum.
Great tool! Seems much more capable as far as bit driver, scissors, awl and bit driver goes.  But as far as left handed, one handed use goes its not great! 
With my left hand without looking I can open the saw, with practice I might be able to open the scissors without looking but to lock it in I have to flick out the handle of the scissors and I have to eye ball it for that.  Pliers are hard work one handed but can be done, putting the pliers away one handed is even harder.  But the replaceable wire cutters are a winner, and I can open all blades with one hand while looking.

I think with two hands the Surge is the winner, more tools, replaceable wire cutters and bigger blades.  Even in saying that, there is something special about the sog, those easy opening pliers and the easy opening blades!

I wish I could flick open the leatherman pliers and I wish I could open a straight blade with my left hand without looking on either of them.
I get the feeling there will never be the perfect multi tool, especially for a left hander.  I guess the SOG PowerAssist is more left handed friendly but the Leatherman Surge has more function in general.

Nothing official in all this, just a few scrambled thoughts after a few drinks.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: SOG PowerAssist VS Leatherman Surge for a left hander
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 04:06:47 PM
There's only one solution to your dilemma ...

Carry BOTH

:D
SAW

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 04:08:37 PM
I am not a left handed person.  That having been said, I have always thought that many of Leatherman's "one handed" offerings were leaving people a bit short.

The OHT is kind of amusing because half the tools can be opened left handed and half right handed so in fact the One Handed Tool can really only be used by someone with both hands..... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline SuperDavid

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:27:53 PM
There's only one solution to your dilemma ...

Carry BOTH

:D
I guess one on each side will even out the weight and stop me walking around in circles!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:18:56 PM
I am sorry.  :-[
In Asia no one is allowed to be left handed, as they would be corrected at very young age.
All old firearms were designed for right handed users, I can not think of any exceptions.

In your case I suggest getting a modern folder set up for left hand use plus a Powerlock / SuperTool 300?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:20:03 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

au Offline SuperDavid

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:37:59 PM
I am sorry.  :-[
In Asia no one is allowed to be left handed, as they would be corrected at very young age.
All old firearms were designed for right handed users, I can not think of any exceptions.

In your case I suggest getting a modern folder set up for left hand use plus a Powerlock / SuperTool 300?

It used to be like that in most parts of the world I think, I think my mum was forced to be right handed too.
I've gone against a dedicated knife, because in australia they have laws against one handed opening/locking knives.  It seems that one handed opening knives on multi tools has escaped the one handed opening locking blade laws.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 07:07:27 PM
Off topic but thanks for the pics. Dont own the Power Assist but it almost dwarfs the Surge. Had no idea it's so big.

au Offline SuperDavid

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 08:30:48 PM
Off topic but thanks for the pics. Dont own the Power Assist but it almost dwarfs the Surge. Had no idea it's so big.

they may not be great photos, the power assist is longer than the surge but in every other way they are very similar.  Well actually the Surge is a bit fatter than the Power Assist

au Offline SuperDavid

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 08:40:38 PM
Surge on SOG

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 09:06:15 PM
Another leftie!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:P

You might be surprised how many there are round here. Personally I think I'd have more luck using my right foot than my left hand  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline SuperDavid

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 09:40:36 PM
Yes plenty of lefties around I'm sure!

and I guess while I'm at it, the other thing that bugs me is when I'm cutting with my left, I'm looking from the right, and when I'm doing that the blade is always on the left side of the Surge, with the power assist I atleast have the serrated on the right side right in my view. 
Probably not even an issue 99.9% of the time.

Someone should make a left handed multi tool!!!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 10:02:41 PM
I find with the Surge one can open all four OHO tools with the same hand, just use your middle finger for the ones underneath. You can also open the scissors completely one-handed in one movement, just push your thumb down on the very end: (click on pic for video)

I also imagine it would be fairly easy to swap the OHO tools around to suit your needs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:05:09 PM by Syncop8r »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 10:16:55 PM
As a fellow southpaw, I've found that OHO blades on a multitool are worthless.  They're just not designed for us privileged few who are in our right minds. ;)  I've carried them, and always go back to a 2 handed tool with a dedicated blace handling cutting chores.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 10:19:51 PM
As a fellow southpaw, I've found that OHO blades on a multitool are worthless.  They're just not designed for us privileged few who are in our right minds. ;) 

Maybe Lefties just aren't designed for OHO blades...  :pok:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 10:24:59 PM
We're intelligent enough to understand the comfort of no protusions while using a certain tool with the handles closed. ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 11:36:51 PM
Isn't the blade suppose to be close to your knuckles for stronger girp and better control, all Victorinox blades are on the right side for right handed users.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD