Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Handsun folding knife tool thingy

ph Offline Zephon

Handsun folding knife tool thingy
on: October 20, 2015, 02:50:18 AM
Got this for like USD2.0 last week.  It folds into itself just like a regular folding knife.  There's no lock to hold the blade open.  What holds it closed is something similar to how a SwissTech Utili-key locks, but this one has just enough tension to keep the blade from flailing all over. 

The good:
+ Nice, small compact size that fits in the palm of your hand. You can clip this thing anywhere from bag zippers to belt danglers and all that.
+ Good pointy tip and an easy to sharpen edge.  You can sharpen it to a point where you can get a paper cut on your finger.
+ Fun to fiddle around

The bad:
- The sheath is a little too pointy for my taste.  I'd rather have it dangle off something than risk a hole in the pocket.
- Yes, you can sharpen the edge but retention is another thing.  After less than a dozen swipes while I was unpacking a console table, I needed to sharpen it already. 
- Initially confusing on which is the blade side when it's unfolded.
- Not sure if the bottle opener works but where are you going to put your fingers?  On the blade? 

The ugly:
-- I brought down some force on it while trying to go through some cardboard (packaging box type) and packaging tape and the darn thing folded in on me.  I mean it folded on its spine!  It wasn't finger-threatening or anything dangerous, but it was silly for a folding knife to fold back on its spine!
-- Before I forget, that design on the sheath which would normally be called a "wrench" or something to hold a nut to a bolt, doesn't work.  1) It doesn't fit anything.  Most likely because the shape isn't properly designed/measured.  2) Even if it fit something, you won't have enough torque to hold or turn anything.  Where are you going to place your fingers?  On the blade?

Recommendations:
I'd like to ask if this is a K.O. of some pocket knife or small tool out there.
I'd like the tool to have the same, or at least close, to the tension of a Utili-key's lock.
Blunt out the tip of the sheath.
Longer lock to prevent it from collapsing on its spine.
Skip the wrench slots (or maybe this was cut out to reduce material as a cost cutting measure)
Maybe lengthen the small portion at the bottom of the knife for a #0 driver.

Well, for USD2, I'd say you're better off with that folding credit card knife imitation.
IMG_1466.JPG
* IMG_1466.JPG (Filesize: 216.33 KB)
IMG_1470.JPG
* IMG_1470.JPG (Filesize: 192.11 KB)
IMG_1471.JPG
* IMG_1471.JPG (Filesize: 162.03 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Handsun folding knife tool thingy
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:34:30 PM
kind of neat...

As for use as a bottle opener, maybe try this...

Hold the bottle in your off hand. with your primary hand, hold the tool by the handle, blade edge up, reach over the top of the bottle, and hook the bottle opener on the lip of the cap on the side across from you, push down on the handle of the tool, using the top of the bottle as your leverage point. This is pretty similar to how you use the Style PS carabiner cap lifter function.

It should work, and keep your hand safely on the handle.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%