Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight options

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Flashlight options
Reply #60 on: October 30, 2015, 11:49:27 PM
Been looking at the Zebralights a lot. The new SC 5 and the 62.

Pretty sure I will go with the Sunwayman VR 11. Uses AA or CR 123 batteries with the AA adapter. 500 lumens with a lvion CR type battery.

It has an adjuster ring so you can set the amount of light you get with the light off even. From 1 to 500 or whatever the battery you have in it will support.

Doesn't hurt I found one brand new for 40 bucks. Almost half off normal prices.

us Offline David

Reply #61 on: October 31, 2015, 02:06:01 AM
VR11 sounds interesting. I carry a Zebra SC52w alot.
SC52W 004.JPG
* SC52W 004.JPG (Filesize: 49.28 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #62 on: October 31, 2015, 03:21:54 AM

The SC 52 seems like a real nice light.

You have any issues with the ui? Specifically turning on the wrong mode on accident?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #63 on: October 31, 2015, 03:31:37 AM

You have any issues with the ui? Specifically turning on the wrong mode on accident?

I've settled on pressing the switch and holding it down until I get the level of illumination I want.  It starts with Low, then Medium, then High, so no danger of wrecking your night vision adaptation with High when you wanted Lo.  And you can then fine tune with a double click if you wanted the alternative output at your selected level.  Zebralight is definitely my favourite UI  :tu:  :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline David

Reply #64 on: October 31, 2015, 03:32:16 AM

No, I havent. Some times when the battery gets real low there is some weak pulsing I think they call it. I've only noticed it once as I usually change batteries before the batteries get that low. I mean ready to die low.
Hold Fast

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #65 on: November 01, 2015, 09:02:39 AM

I've settled on pressing the switch and holding it down until I get the level of illumination I want.  It starts with Low, then Medium, then High, so no danger of wrecking your night vision adaptation with High when you wanted Lo.  And you can then fine tune with a double click if you wanted the alternative output at your selected level.  Zebralight is definitely my favourite UI  :tu:  :D

That's a good way to do it. I'm sure you know, but for the others you can also quick click through high, medium, low if you want to start from high. Not to mention you can access only high or low from off.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #66 on: November 01, 2015, 09:14:18 AM

I personally love the UI and it became second nature very quickly. I occasionally access the wrong setting when trying to get straight to low, but its not to often and I am not using it in a situation where accidentally accessing the wrong setting is a problem.

The ability to set your second level for each high, medium, and low is huge for me. Not only for the actual light output, but because you can optimize output to run time and get more out of your battery.

I love the simple things they thought about like the battery charge indication. 4 quick clicks and the flashlight will blink (1-4). For example if it only blinks twice you know you have 50% battery left. I love this feature.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.   :tu:

I forgot to add. You could get the headlamp version which reverses the positions of the LED and the ON/OFF switch. The switch is on top and the LED is on the side. It comes with a pocket clip and a headband. Its the same price as well.

http://www.zebralight.com/H52-AA-Headlamp-Cool-White_p_131.html

Here is the newest AA offering.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC5-AA-Flashlight-Cool-White-OP_p_170.html

The newest version seems a bit larger and I believe I heard some mention not being thrilled with the extra size. It does put out more light though. Just thought it was worth a mention.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:15:48 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #67 on: November 02, 2015, 02:08:10 AM
Already ordered a Sunwayman V11R but I am pretty sure my next flashlight will be a Zebralight of some sort.

Seems like a company that is on point.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #68 on: November 07, 2015, 01:08:47 AM
So my Sunwayman V11R arrived in the mail today and I am blown away by how mice it is. Obviously good fit and finish and the ui is the best flashlight controls I have ever used.

Will get some pictures and a mini review up soon.

Now I need some good batteries.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: November 07, 2015, 01:18:07 AM
So my Sunwayman V11R arrived in the mail today and I am blown away by how mice it is. Obviously good fit and finish and the ui is the best flashlight controls I have ever used.

It's alive!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #70 on: November 07, 2015, 01:49:29 AM

What flashlight did you get son? Sunwayman?

"Neeeeverrrrr heard of it"
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #71 on: November 07, 2015, 02:54:09 AM
You guys are some strange ducks.

Not sure if it is ok to.post a link to CPF here?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: November 07, 2015, 04:16:08 AM

I already researched it last week....just yanking yer chain....my meds are actually workin'.

It's a great light. :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #73 on: November 07, 2015, 05:16:15 AM

I already researched it last week....just yanking yer chain....my meds are actually workin'.

You know since I have 5k posts anyone who yanks my chain has to give me a good price on a OC Farmer.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: November 07, 2015, 05:24:31 AM

You know since I have 5k posts anyone who yanks my chain has to give me a good price on a OC Farmer.

You know since I have 8k posts anyone who invokes the 5k rule is bumped to the end of the excess OC Farmers waiting list.

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #75 on: November 07, 2015, 05:30:51 AM

You know since I have 8k posts anyone who invokes the 5k rule is bumped to the end of the excess OC Farmers waiting list.

Pfft I already know you ain't got no list cause you are a hoarder.

us Offline David

Reply #76 on: November 07, 2015, 06:27:57 AM

i'm not sure SG is a hoarder. But he does seem to accumulate a lot of cool stuff.       :D
Hold Fast

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: November 07, 2015, 06:50:44 AM

i'm not sure SG is a hoarder. But he does seem to accumulate a lot of cool stuff.       :D

:rofl:  :D   

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 03:54:52 PM

I have the V10R, and it's my favourite light. I appear to not be it's favourite person though, as it keeps trying to escape  :ahhh The light itself is fantastic, but the retention on the pocket clip leaves a lot to be desired

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 08:24:35 PM

I have the V10R, and it's my favourite light. I appear to not be it's favourite person though, as it keeps trying to escape  :ahhh The light itself is fantastic, but the retention on the pocket clip leaves a lot to be desired

My V11R pocket clip is just the opposite, supre death grip style of clip.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: November 07, 2015, 08:35:24 PM

Would you say it's the strength of the clip, or the texture of the light body beneath? I think one of the problems on the V10R is that it has minimal contact with the light, and where it does, is on a smooth section  ::)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #81 on: November 07, 2015, 10:23:26 PM

Would you say it's the strength of the clip, or the texture of the light body beneath? I think one of the problems on the V10R is that it has minimal contact with the light, and where it does, is on a smooth section  ::)

A combination of the two factors I think.

Strong tension on the clip plus it meets the body of the light right at a point where it curves down. When I get a chance I will take a picture of it with the good camera.

Here it is working around the house today. Been using the smurf out of it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 01:39:02 AM

A combination of the two factors I think.

Strong tension on the clip plus it meets the body of the light right at a point where it curves down. When I get a chance I will take a picture of it with the good camera.

Here it is working around the house today. Been using the smurf out of it.

Thanks Harley, that makes a lot of sense. I might see if I can adjust this one so it contacts in a similar place without cracking it  :cheers:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #83 on: November 30, 2015, 04:13:29 AM
So after using the V11R for a few weeks I figured a update would be in order.

Love the smurf out of the light still but there is an issue. Being able to adjust the output while the light is off with one hand in the dark by touch is awesome.

Sometimes though the adjustment ring will adjust itself while in my pocket. Annoying but not a big deal since you can just check it by feel before you turn the light on.

It is very bright as you might expect being a 190 lumen light on CR123 batteries. It will also use a Li-Ion 16340 battery pushing 500 lumens but since I don't have any of them yet I can not comment.

Another nice thing is you can get a AA extender tube so that you can run AA or 14500 rechargeable cells. Will be real nice being able to use multiple battery types.

All in all though a great light that I would strongly encourage anyone in the market for a great EDC light to give a try.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: November 30, 2015, 06:54:08 PM
Good to hear you're getting along with it mate.  I've absolutely no need for another light, but if I was looking again then a Sunwayman would definitely be on my shopping list. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #85 on: November 30, 2015, 09:37:51 PM
I am in the same boat, no need for another flashlight.

Sweet lion rechargeable batteries and a good charger. That is another story.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: November 30, 2015, 11:31:24 PM

Love the smurf out of the light still but there is an issue. Being able to adjust the output while the light is off with one hand in the dark by touch is awesome.

Sometimes though the adjustment ring will adjust itself while in my pocket. Annoying but not a big deal since you can just check it by feel before you turn the light on.

It is very bright as you might expect being a 190 lumen light on CR123 batteries. It will also use a Li-Ion 16340 battery pushing 500 lumens but since I don't have any of them yet I can not comment.

Another nice thing is you can get a AA extender tube so that you can run AA or 14500 rechargeable cells. Will be real nice being able to use multiple battery types.

All in all though a great light that I would strongly encourage anyone in the market for a great EDC light to give a try.

I know exactly what you mean about the setting ring moving in the pocket. Doesn't tend to happen too often on mine, but if you're fishing around in the same pocket for something else it's a definite possibility. I just have to remember Left Low, Right High before turning it on if I don't want to blind myself with the reflected light  :P

I am VERY tempted to get a V20A. My Quark AA2 Tactical in getting very unpredictable lately, and often needs a couple of slaps after turning it on to get it to function. I have used it a heck of a lot, so I don't think I've been short changed at all, but it is time to be thinking about another double AA light.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #87 on: December 02, 2015, 01:06:05 AM

I know exactly what you mean about the setting ring moving in the pocket. Doesn't tend to happen too often on mine, but if you're fishing around in the same pocket for something else it's a definite possibility. I just have to remember Left Low, Right High before turning it on if I don't want to blind myself with the reflected light  :P

I am VERY tempted to get a V20A. My Quark AA2 Tactical in getting very unpredictable lately, and often needs a couple of slaps after turning it on to get it to function. I have used it a heck of a lot, so I don't think I've been short changed at all, but it is time to be thinking about another double AA light.

There is a AA adapter ring you can get for the V11R.

Just saying.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: December 02, 2015, 01:23:38 AM
Thanks for that :salute: Pity my V10R didn't have the same option  :-\

I was tempted for the V20A as the longer format of 2xAA works better for work purposes, juggling that and other inspection equipment with oily hands is actually easier with a longer light, plus the additional weight and length of the light sits better in a rule pocket on work trousers.

I have taken apart my existing work light this evening, and given it a bit of a service with some W5 silicone oil, and it does seem to be working better at the minute. I'll have to see how long it behaves before I have to start using percussive maintenance techniques again  :whistle:

Really glad the light is working out for you. I think the adjustment ring format is fantastic, and it's my favourite control system of all my lights  :cheers:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 03:37:46 AM
All I'll say is get a HDS. Best light I have ever used. You can program your own modes how you like them. This light is a tank!
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%