Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about Crossbow on scales....

us Offline Rawhyde

Question about Crossbow on scales....
on: November 03, 2015, 02:10:30 AM
I liberated several knives that had been stolen from their rightful owners by the TSA at the airport.  These knives were tossed into bins and marked with various prices.  Most of the 91 mm SAKs were in the $10 bin.

I identified one of these liberated knives as a Fieldmaster.  It caught my eye because it didn't have the Victorinox cross on the scales, instead, it had a crossbow in a circle with the word SWITZERLAND in it.

The SAKWiki shows a knife identical to mine.  (Mine has a screw in the scissors and a slit for a SPAM can in the phillips screwdriver.)

Now the questions....

Do all Fieldmasters have the crossbow scales?

Are the crossbow scales rare or worthy of being collected?

I like the knife, and would like learn a little more about it.

Thanks,

Rawhyde

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Re: Question about Crossbow on scales....
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 04:35:57 AM
Pictures please.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:37:47 PM
Let me guess - does it look like this:

Legend is that the crossbox/Switzerland inlay was made for certain markets where the Christian cross in the Victorinox logo might be considered inappropriate. This logo has appeared on various knives in the past, but by far the most common is from a run of Fieldmasters from the early 1980s. It's unusual but not super rare. Typically it'll get you $5 or so more than a regular Fieldmaster on eBay. So collectible-ish, but unless it's NIB it's not something so rare that you should feel bad about using it as an EDC.

us Offline Rawhyde

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:18:44 PM
Identical to it. I'm at work, but planned to upload a pic of my knife when I get home.

Is there anything significant about the crossbow on the scales?

I'm almost too ashamed to tell it, but I found a SAK with a lighter in a $10 bin. I should have hidden it in my pile to buy, but someone else wound up with it. I don't know which one it was except that it wasn't the XXLT. Too thin for that model.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:51:39 PM
Identical to it. I'm at work, but planned to upload a pic of my knife when I get home.

Is there anything significant about the crossbow on the scales?

I'm almost too ashamed to tell it, but I found a SAK with a lighter in a $10 bin. I should have hidden it in my pile to buy, but someone else wound up with it. I don't know which one it was except that it wasn't the XXLT. Too thin for that model.
The crossbow was used by Wilhelm Tell a legendary freedom fighter from Switzerland. He is famous for shooting an apple from the head of his son using a crossbow. Depending on how much you believe he killed Gessler (Austrian nobleman/oppressor to Switzerland) which in turn sparked a rebellion leading to the formation of the Swiss Confederation.

The crossbow is a symbol for Swiss Made
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:53:22 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline lichan

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:22:11 PM
I'm curious about the purchase scenario. Was it at a gun show? Was the sale by the TSA or other government agency? It almost seems from your description that it was a sale at the airport put on by the TSA, which would seem to be a strange situation.

us Offline Rawhyde

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:49 PM
Sorry about the confusion.

I bought the knives at gun shows from a vendor who bought a forklift pallet full of knives from a TSA auction.

I went to 2 shows a few weeks apart, but it was the same seller.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 02:31:56 AM
Many have mentioned on these forums that the knife tang crossbow and cross were marks of quality that 're no longer present on SAKs. I have some old ones with it and new ones without.

Can anyone tell us, what is the name and standing of the authority that once issued it to Vic? Is it a private entity? Government? Internal? (If internal, why would Vic take it away from itself) Something like ISO 9002 or something?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 02:36:59 AM
If the symbol is for Swiss made, and the knives are still Swiss made, why no symbol?

Also, are there any other non Victorinox items that would have this stamp?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:46 AM
So, Ether...this 18th November is 710 years since the apfel shot?

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 04:04:02 AM
The crossbow shield  occasionally shows up on a variety of Victorinox.

A similar shield was used by Wenger back in the 1930s-1940s.

The 'V' and globe was developed for sales in Saudi Arabia and other Moslem countries where the Christian cross isn't allowed.

IMG_4312.JPG
* IMG_4312.JPG (Filesize: 65.67 KB)
IMG_1182.JPG
* IMG_1182.JPG (Filesize: 121.92 KB)
IMG_3378.JPG
* IMG_3378.JPG (Filesize: 68.63 KB)

Offline high carbon

• New User
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 08:42:17 AM
HI-

New guy here, just found the site from a link at All About Pocket Knives. I've been trying for the umpteenth time to find some information about a knife I inherited from my father. It's a Wenger with the Suisse crossbow shield. It's a fisherman type with a scaler/disgorger, 2 knife blades, bottle opener/flatblade screwdriver, can opener, awl and phillips screwdriver on the other side and removable tweezers. The original tweezers were brass but I lost them 40 years ago & replace them with an all stainless (no plastic head) tweezers.

I've carried this knife a lot over the years. I has honest wear but is otherwise in fine condition, everything works and it has good snap on everything except the two openers.

For the first time I see what looks like my knife, in your (ColoSwiss) second picture on the right.

Can you tell me anything about this model?

And are the old-style brass tweezers available anywhere?

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 12:22:09 AM
ColoSwiss
Very nice photos. Thanks for posting and the educational lesson! ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%