Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kitchen Knives

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Re: Kitchen Knives
Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 07:58:06 AM
I got a Vic Pairing knife, similar to this, a few months ago

and I have to say this is pretty much a perfectly designed knife. Just the right balance of thin and flexible but sturdy and capable. The primary grind and taper is, well, just perfect. A 24 to 30 degree inclusive edge bevel looks like a micro bevel. I have a DMT extra extra fine hone by the sink and touch it up a couple of times a week, maybe 10 light strokes per side, after I wash it, and it functions like a light sabre. I think I paid about $7 delivered. Best dang pairing knife I've ever used.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:09 PM
I got a Vic Pairing knife, similar to this, a few months ago

Is that the 3" or the 4"? Looks like the 4" to me... As I said above, that's the one I use most.

I bought one of those red ones on a lark, and just fer grins, tried using it as an ultralight hiking/camp knife. I need to make a decent sheath for it, but it worked out pretty well. I even tried to baton with it, splitting a 2" diameter piece of deadwood; the knife could take it, but the blade is so thin, it doesn't split the wood that well. If you whittle some wooden wedges first, though...  :D

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 04:55:57 PM
Gryffin, Victorinox now makes a sheath for the paring knife for that very purpose. :tu:

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 05:05:01 PM
Oh? Do tell!

(google google google)

Ah... So they do! I was thinking more of a kydex sheath for mine, but that might do in the meantime.

Danke schön!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:36 PM
 :salute:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:22 PM
I have the 4 inch and like you bought it on a lark. I didn't expect to be so happy with it :tu:

I can imagine bringing it as a hiking/camp knife though I would prefer it to have just a little less flex for outdoor activities.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 07:26:26 PM
I can imagine bringing it as a hiking/camp knife though I would prefer it to have just a little less flex for outdoor activities.

Oh, of course! It was more an exercise in "how light can I possibly go," practicality wasn't a major criteria.

Next time I go truck camping, maybe I'll strap it to my Ratweiller in a duplex rig.  :rofl:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: May 09, 2020, 03:59:39 AM
Heh, I went searching on a thread on kitchen knives to make a random comment on...

and it turns out I created the thread in the first place.

Small world, I guess

Anyway - All I wanted to say was, I was just in the kitchen, making up some lunch, and had one of those moments of peace and joy - there really is nothing like cutting up food with a good knife. The balance of the knife, the way it just "falls" through what you're cutting.

Many of us have probably had to furlough our valets due to quarantine/isolation policies - if you have found yourself in a situation where you are preparing your own food - I hope you've got nice knives (and other kitchen tools!) If not, perhaps consider acquiring some - it can make every sandwich (or roast) as enjoyable to make as it is to eat.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%