Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Normal" vs II?

eahm · 10 · 4175

us Offline eahm

"Normal" vs II?
on: November 17, 2015, 10:31:54 PM
Guys, can't find anything online, what's the difference between the, for example, Camper vs Camper II?

Thanks.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: "Normal" vs II?
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:33:37 PM
Guys, can't find anything online, what's the difference between the, for example, Camper vs Camper II?

The "II" suffix typically means one of two things:

1. Eco scale version of the standard model (as in this case with the Camper)
2. Pen blade in place of nail file/combo tool for 84mm (e.g. Bantam II vs Bantam, Cadet II vs Cadet)

us Offline eahm

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:31:30 PM
Thank you, Eco because:

1) It's cheaper plastic?

2) The plastic looks cheaper (because I kind of like the look of the II).

3) More Eco-Friendly plastic?

Anyone had issues with the II? Does it break more easily?

us Offline getahl

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:52:47 PM
Not sure about cheaper. However,  the scales are nylon, like that found in the 111mm series.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

us Offline eahm

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:42 PM
Got it, I like the 111mm texture, I think I'll order a Camper II and maybe a Waiter for my wife, I know she wants one, I'm sure of that! :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:59:36 PM by eahm »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:01:00 AM
Eco = economy. Victorinox has, since the late 1950s, offered a "regular" line of officer's knives and an economy line. Since the mid 1990s they have de-emphasied the "economy" aspect, but the "Climber II" and "Huntsman II" models are still part of that philosophy. What it means to be part of the eco line has evolved over the years, and today I think it is nylon scales in place of cellidor and less rigorous QC (1 in 10 inspected vs every since one IIRC). Still with the lifetime Victorinox warranty so buy whichever has the scales you like better.

us Offline eahm

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:54:25 AM
Nice, perfect, thank you again. Got a Camper II and a Black Forester (EU version).

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:02:25 AM
Thank you, Eco because:

1) It's cheaper plastic? Probably yes. No inlaid shield emblem on those so this also drives the cost down?

2) The plastic looks cheaper (because I kind of like the look of the II). You can say that. I like the looks of Eco scales myself :tu:

3) More Eco-Friendly plastic? I doubt it.

Anyone had issues with the II? Does it break more easily?

Eco scales are actually more durable and hard wearing than cellidor ones. They provide better grip too. I have a few models with those, everyone of them is flawless.

I've found the slim models tend to flex so you might experience the main blade hitting the combo tool on the Waiter. A Camper I have has developed an idle bottle opener -it won't snap shut but rather needs to be pushed back. I'd go for the Huntsman ( I have three of those ::) ).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:05:25 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:43 AM
I think the nylon scales are generally pretty well liked.  They're not as shiny and perhaps don't have the same eyecatching appeal on display in a store, but they are very practical.

us Offline eahm

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 05:00:17 PM
Eco scales are actually more durable and hard wearing than cellidor ones. They provide better grip too. I have a few models with those, everyone of them is flawless.

I've found the slim models tend to flex so you might experience the main blade hitting the combo tool on the Waiter. A Camper I have has developed an idle bottle opener -it won't snap shut but rather needs to be pushed back. I'd go for the Huntsman ( I have three of those ::) ).

Already have a Huntsman (http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61684.msg1178424.html#msg1178424) and it's too tick, too much stuff I don't need and I think the Camper will be the best compromise for a small one for my taste.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%