Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are SWIZA knives SAKs?

Grathr · 126 · 10926

Poll

Are SWIZA knives SAKs?

Yes
18 (31.6%)
No
24 (42.1%)
Sacrilege! they should not even be in the Swiss Army Knights forum!
15 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Are SWIZA knives SAKs?
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 06:39:14 PM
well, we all know who is to blame for Wengers downfall .....

IT wasn't me,I'd the day off that day :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 06:42:06 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 07:06:31 PM
are we gonna see any reviews of SWIZA knives?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Grathr

Are SWIZA knives SAKs?
Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 07:11:58 PM
I plan to write one about the D02 after I have EDC'ed it for a while.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 07:15:13 PM
there are a few first looks/reviews in the forum. no destruction testing

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 07:16:32 PM
there are a few first looks/reviews in the forum. no destruction testing
Well I mangled both the Phillips and the small-screwdriver... although it was with no intention of destruction, just trying to tighten some screws.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 07:19:52 PM
no batoning?

my screwdrivers did ok, so far

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 08:13:21 AM
I like my SWIZA D04, I love my trusty Boker 182 Sports Knife and I'm very interessted in
the new Sanrenmu MPKs but all of them are no SAKs. The one and only real SAKs are
from Vic and Wenger.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 08:43:34 AM
no batoning?

my screwdrivers did ok, so far
No battoning, just slipping off while using the drivers.

hr Offline styx

Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 09:17:14 AM
That doesn't bode too well
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 05:02:06 AM
I have been thinking a bit about this. Are SWIZA knives SAKs?
It looks like one, its Swiss made, but it has no connection with the swiss army. The counter argument would be that neither does most of the Vic models. If I have understood it right,(feel free to correct me)  only the Soldier/standard issue knives has been issued to the Swiss Army. So all the other models are really not Swiss "Army" Knives.
I know there might be some emotions regarding this issue, so please keep the discussion civilised and friendly ;)

Oh! And dont forget to vote in the poll :D

Interesting !

I'm French, so I don't still understand the subtleties of the English language, but I think there is some confusion with the words... 
Who first call "Swiss Army Knives" all the Swiss Knives ? The American GI's at the end of WW2... 

In French we say "Couteaux Suisses" (Swiss knives) for all civilian Swiss knives and "couteaux de soldats suisses" (Swiss soldiers knives) for all official knives in the Swiss Army, like Mod. 1961 (alox) or mod. 2008.

At the begining, (about 1900's) existed more than 30 manufactures of knives in Switzerland ! Not only Victorinox and Wenger !!! 
Some of these cutlers made knives for the Swiss Army, but not all cutlers. And some knives (first 15000 soldiers knives) for the Swiss Army where made outside Switzerland (in Germany and probably in France).
Here 19 brands and tang stamps referenced for the Swiss Soldier Knife mod. 1908 :
http://www.couteaux-du-soldat-suisse.ch/J01/index.php/en/les-couteaux-du-soldat/les-modeles-1908

Currently, "SK" (in French) or "SAK" (in English) have the common definition : "Knives made in Switzerland". This is what Urs Wyss (the boss of Victorinox factory) told me last year (2014) when I met him...

So... SWIZA are "SAK" or not ? That's the question !
- SWIZA never made knives for the Swiss Army, that's right, but who can say "they will never make knives for the Swiss Army ?
- SWIZA knives are completly made in Switzerland and for this reason SWIZA knives are Swiss knives.
To be fair, if for you, a Victorinox Huntsman or a Wenger S17 are "SAK", SWIZA knives are also "SAK" !

I bought the 4 SWIZA Knives and I said my first impressions here :
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62284.msg1190466.html#msg1190466

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:40:53 AM by jcfiguet »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:24 AM
At the begining, (about 1900's) existed more than 30 manufactures of knives in Switzerland ! Not only Victorinox and Wenger !!! 

- SWIZA never made knives for the Swiss Army, that's right, but who can say "they will never make knives for the Swiss Army ?
There are still some smaller knife manufactures around, like Klötzli.

I'm pretty sure if they have the capacity they will produce knives for the Swiss Army. All public orders like this have to be spread over the regions, so everybody can profit. We do like our federalism :salute:

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 02:59:25 PM

I'm pretty sure if they have the capacity they will produce knives for the Swiss Army. All public orders like this have to be spread over the regions, so everybody can profit. We do like our federalism :salute:

After Klötzli and Röthlisberger, I'm curious to know how many little cutlers still exist in Switzerland...

Another compromise of 1908 in 2015 or 2016 between Swiza and Victorinox ? LOL ! :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:05:38 PM by jcfiguet »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 03:19:57 PM

After Klötzli and Röthlisberger, I'm curious to know how many little cutlers still exist in Switzerland...

Another compromise of 1908 in 2015 or 2016 between Swiza and Victorinox ? LOL ! :whistle:
Not many as labor is very expensive in Switzerland.
I'm not interested in those that much (not my price range). I know there are several more, e.g. HJK (him I know personally). I think its on the rise again, we even have a master* weapon-smith again.

I doubt it will be in 2016 as I doubt that Swiza has the capacity for a military order. But if they stick around, maybe in 2020...

*master, meaning he is certified to train apprentice weapon smiths.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 06:57:49 PM
I also doubt that Swiza has the capacity for a military order today! LOL
And I'm not sure they will be ready for that in the futur...

HJK in Basel, it's interesting. Also it's not my price range, but... I will give its address to a friend, a big collector of knives made by master cutlers like "meilleur ouvrier de France" (in France) or Master...something (I didn't remember the german word) in Germany, etc...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 07:05:28 PM
I also doubt that Swiza has the capacity for a military order today! LOL
And I'm not sure they will be ready for that in the futur...

HJK in Basel, it's interesting. Also it's not my price range, but... I will give its address to a friend, a big collector of knives made by master cutlers like "meilleur ouvrier de France" (in France) or Master...something (I didn't remember the german word) in Germany, etc...
HJK also makes SAK-tools (cork-screw, blade, whatever) with damascene steel :tu:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:21 PM

Al Qaeda?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 10:28:18 PM

Al Qaeda?

Yes, along with global warming!  :dwts:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 10:38:16 PM
It's true though, right?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 10:44:09 PM
It's true though, right?

Let it go.    :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 09:06:46 PM
You make a good arguement that this is a very capable multipurpose knife. I have no contention with that. It doesn't make it a SAK in my mind, and more than any other very capable multipurpose knives. In my mind SAK's are issued knives, but I am willing to "relax" the term to cover Victorinox and Wenger knives that were not issued, purely as that is a generic term that has spread that far in common usage.

Maybe one day Swiza will earn an order from the Swiss military, and then be able to share that accolade too

I hope it serves you well, and gives you a lot of enjoyment from using it.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 09:31:38 PM
You make a good arguement that this is a very capable multipurpose knife. I have no contention with that. It doesn't make it a SAK in my mind, and more than any other very capable multipurpose knives. In my mind SAK's are issued knives, but I am willing to "relax" the term to cover Victorinox and Wenger knives that were not issued, purely as that is a generic term that has spread that far in common usage.

Maybe one day Swiza will earn an order from the Swiss military, and then be able to share that accolade too

I hope it serves you well, and gives you a lot of enjoyment from using it.  :cheers:

You know, I don't want to speak anymore on this forum. I prefere European forums more open-minded.

Multitool.org is the only knives forum, which I know, where we can read that Swiza is not SAK.

I am sorry if I said something that offended. I thought I was saying positive things :shrug:

Maybe if I study your posts and how you deal with accepting other peoples thoughts, I will learn how to be more openminded .....

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:48:12 PM by Etherealicer »

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 09:40:45 PM
jcfiguet, people are allowed to have their own opinions.  Victorinox owns the trademarks on "Original" and "Genuine" Swiss Army Knives, so it is hardly irrational to think that they are the only true SAKs.  I can't understand why you seem to be getting personally offended by people disagreeing over the definition of SAK. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 09:50:15 PM
Sorry Al for editing your post (removed a comment you quoted that we do not tolerate on this forum)

jcfiguet: Stick to comprehensive arguments and stay away from insults or references to dictators or you will be banned.
Also your tone does not help your cause.

:police:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:12:36 PM by Etherealicer »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 09:59:39 PM
Sorry Al for editing your post (removed a comment that we do not tolerate on this forum)

jcfiguet: Stick to comprehensive arguments and stay away from insults or references to dictators or you will be banned.

Beat, for clarification, that was a comment in the quote, and not a comment that I made, correct? Apologies for labouring the point

(I actually know which it was, but it could be read like I may have made the comment that cannot be tolerated  ;))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:02:13 PM by 50ft-trad »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 10:13:22 PM
All the best. Nobody forces anybody to stay or post.
Closing perfectly good threads because some people have no people skills is not the answer.
This is an international forum so some tolerance with respect to beliefs, understanding and so on is needed and does exist, but some people are lacking in humour, miss the point of the forum or feel that they are the defenders of the one true truth or that everybody is out to get them.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 10:13:29 PM
Sorry Al for editing your post (removed a comment that we do not tolerate on this forum)

Beat, for clarification, that was a comment in the quote, and not a comment that I made, correct? Apologies for labouring the point

(I actually know which it was, but it could be read like I may have made the comment that cannot be tolerated  ;))
Sorry for not being clear. Yes it was a comment you quoted that I edited :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 10:15:25 PM
All the best. Nobody forces anybody to stay or post.
Closing perfectly good threads because some people have no people skills is not the answer.
This is an international forum so some tolerance with respect to beliefs, understanding and so on is needed and does exist, but some people are lacking in humour, miss the point of the forum or feel that they are the defenders of the one true truth or that everybody is out to get them.
Agreed, just had to delete a very well made post because it ended in an insult.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 10:16:06 PM
I am not referring to Al, by the way.  :D

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #59 on: December 04, 2015, 10:16:24 PM

You know, I don't want to speak anymore on this forum. I prefere European forums more open-minded.

Multitool.org is the only knives forum, which I know, where we can read that Swiza is not SAK.

Keep your certainties... As Stalin had his !

I am sorry if I said something that offended. I thought I was saying positive things :shrug:

Maybe if I study your posts and how you deal with accepting other peoples thoughts, I will learn how to be more openminded .....

I'm not offended and I don't want apology. It's not your fault.

I was blocked by Zoidberg this morning because I'm not agree with some members, but I never say insults to anybody or other things like that.

On this forum when somebody not agree a "big mouth" he's blocked or banned... I'm a moderator and administrator on other forums, but I never use this kind of censure !

I try to explain and to understand some contradictory or false assertions about Swisa, but I see that it goes against the "unique thought" of this forum.

First, I'm collector, so I'm on a knives forum for my pleasure and to share my passion, not to be on a rugby field or on a boxing ring.
So I prefere go away to share that I think on forums more opened with people without bias.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%