Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Metal File?

s1xty7 · 17 · 3223

us Offline s1xty7

Vic Metal File?
on: November 24, 2015, 10:18:06 AM
I know the metal file has changed some over the course of time but I don't know all the changes or if there is a way of identifying a new metal file 100%.  Can you kind ladies and gentlemen fill me in?

Thanks.

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Re: Vic Metal File?
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:03:27 AM
The new metal file is made from stainless steel, it's shiny and more abrasive due to a different file cut then the old style carbon steel file.

http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:23:31 PM
I know the metal file has changed some over the course of time but I don't know all the changes or if there is a way of identifying a new metal file 100%.  Can you kind ladies and gentlemen fill me in?

Thanks.
I absolutely love the file on my my Vic Executive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 01:40:33 PM

Thanks.

That's a different one, nails only.

I tried the 91mm stainless one on my nails once. Well .... :ahhh

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:55:13 PM

Thanks.

+1!!!! Only the slightest pressure and movement will work. I like the older cross hatch files better for nails.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 03:26:57 PM

Thanks.

+1!!!! Only the slightest pressure and movement will work.

Absolutely spot on :D
... gotta love the new file, after all we're talking about swiss tool, so proper technique, finest touch and swiss precision is needed to do the job >:D
4.JPG
* 4.JPG (Filesize: 249.32 KB)

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:09:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had previously been under the impression that the old file was straight across the tool near the pivot and the new one formed a peak with the texture. Or did they make some of the older version with the crossed texture as well? I've seen some that look much shinier but that could be age or use.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 04:37:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had previously been under the impression that the old file was straight across the tool near the pivot and the new one formed a peak with the texture. Or did they make some of the older version with the crossed texture as well? I've seen some that look much shinier but that could be age or use.

As you can see on above link post by windson ...

the two middle-aged older style files will for sure (at least because of different cross-cut) reflect a different shine. :o
Enlarged:

;)

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 06:09:19 PM
My apologies.  I was checking on my phone and completely missed the link.  :facepalm:  Thanks for making it extra obvious so I wouldn't miss it again.  :D

Additionally, I was not previously aware of that link.  How have I gotten this far without it?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:28:35 PM by s1xty7 »

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 11:30:17 PM
My apologies.  I was checking on my phone and completely missed the link.  :facepalm:  Thanks for making it extra obvious so I wouldn't miss it again.  :D

Additionally, I was not previously aware of that link.  How have I gotten this far without it?
No prob :D You're in the right place and we're here to help :assimilate: you, and, as you're interested in metal saw/file, you're doing very well >:D

Btw, metal file/saw is mandatory tool, so you for sure need (at least) another (SwissChamp apart) SAK with metal saw/file, perhaps TrailGuide, so then you can upgrade to "Yeoguide" :facepalm:

;)

de Offline windson

Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 11:35:24 PM

No prob :D You're in the right place and we're here to help :assimilate: you, and, as you're interested in metal saw/file, you're doing very well >:D

Btw, metal file/saw is mandatory tool, so you for sure need (at least) another (SwissChamp apart) SAK with metal saw/file, perhaps TrailGuide, so then you can upgrade to "Yeoguide" :facepalm:
(Image removed from quote.)
 ;)

That would be my favorite set of tools!  :drool:

If you want to get rid of that one, I'm lusting for a Yeoguide and would adopt one. (seriously; PM me if you're interested)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 11:45:41 PM

;)

If you want to get rid of that one, I'm lusting for a Yeoguide and would adopt one. (seriously; PM me if you're interested)
I have no problem to believe you're serious :D but, there is always a but ::) the problem is "Journeydack", he is so attached to "Yeoguide" that wouldn't let it go >:D

;)

de Offline windson

Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 11:50:49 PM

;)

I have no problem to believe you're serious :D but, there is always a but ::) the problem is "Journeydack", he is so attached to "Yeoguide" that wouldn't let it go >:D

;)

That DOES look like love! Not going to disturb that attachment. Gotta find someone to build be one like that.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 12:01:17 AM

;)

;)

That DOES look like love! Not going to disturb that attachment. Gotta find someone to build be one like that.
:tu: An authentic fraternal love. Brothers in arms, Swiss Army brothers, Terrific duo, Dynamic duo ... :D

Why not do it yourself :pok: Yes, you can! ;)

de Offline windson

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 08:10:55 PM

;)

;)

:tu: An authentic fraternal love. Brothers in arms, Swiss Army brothers, Terrific duo, Dynamic duo ... :D

Why not do it yourself ok: Yes, you can! ;)
Of course. Time is the only issue here. No shop time this year anymore. Looking forward to some tinkering in the new year.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 08:15:50 PM

;)

;)

Why not do it yourself ok: Yes, you can! ;)
Of course. Time is the only issue here. No shop time this year anymore. Looking forward to some tinkering in the new year.
Thanks God, a new year is just around the corner ... :facepalm:
 ;)

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 10:09:58 PM
Can I just say that the Ranger (I have one in the pouch on my belt right now) is a really great SAK with terrific density of tools for a SAK of its size.  I love having the file for when I need to grind off a little wood/plastic/metal or even some large toe nail.
Mine is fairly new so it has the newer stainless file, it seems to work quite well for my filing needs.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%