Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bushfires, South Australia

au Offline bounding star

Bushfires, South Australia
on: November 27, 2015, 08:49:09 AM
Any of you in Australia have probably already heard all about it on the news, but for those who haven't, my area of south australia has been ravaged by a huge bushfire on Wednesday the 27th. Two people were killed, several may die of injuries, dozens of homes were lost and hundreds of sheds, farming equipment and crops.

825 square kilometers (200,000 acres) were burnt and spot fires continue to burn. It began around midday, heading for the large town where my school is, and then the wind swung around creating a 40km long fire front. I was not able to make it home until around 9pm through the embers and ashes, but my town was not hit, due to a notable amount of rain shortly before the fire would have engulfed it. My dad was able to get some photos as the smoke covered the town:

Its hard to get a sense of scale here, but this is as big as a storm front rolling in. The tree in the middle is about 100m away.

Then it hits...

The scariest part is; summer hasn't started yet...

Anyone else been effected by the fire? know someone who was? tell us your story.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.

au Offline bounding star

Re: Bushfires, South Australia
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:08:46 PM
Wow, yeah that's how some of the people died. They reckon the fire front was moving at around 70km/h and faster.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 03:03:09 PM
So sorry to hear this......  :(
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 03:14:24 PM
I'm sick and tired of all these fires  >:( We have our fair share almost every year here. I hope it gets under control soon and that you guys are alright.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

au Offline bounding star

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 02:27:00 AM
Yeah its under control now, but many have lost their livelihoods and the community will take years to recover. At least it is a wakeup call because there will likely be more fires through the summer, and more each year as it gets hotter and dryer. Make sure wherever you are in the world, you have a bushfire plan, they can hit where and when you don't expect it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 06:16:30 AM
Sounds like a real mess. Glad you're safe.

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 09:14:33 AM
If you live in an area prone to fires you should have a family plan for what to do if you have to evacuate. This is especially important if your family may be separated such as if you find yourselves at work or school while others are still at home.  You will need to have a prearranged place to meet or someone you can all call to check in with so you will know each other is safe.

Usually you will have half an hour or less to gather your things and get out once you have been ordered to evacuate. People die or lose their prized possessions or all of the important documents they may need immediately after a fire because they don't know what to grab when that fire is coming toward them. They start running around gathering stupid things such as pots and pans, and they run out of time before they remember what they really need. It requires planning and knowing where everything is before fire season, and most people never think about it. Just like most people don't prepare for most disasters.

Plan ahead so you don't panic. Only take what you need. Pre-position things in containers if you can before the fire season. Have a go-bag for each family member with a few days worth of clothes, some food and water, and favorite toys for the kids. After gathering family and pets, grab your money, jewelry or other irreplaceable valuables, your important documents such as birth certificates, marriage license, diplomas, credit card information, insurance documents, photo albums, and a memory stick with a backup copy of everything on your computer.

Arrange in advance that when you are safe you will call a friend or relative out of the affected area to let them know you are safe, so they can then call other friends and family or your school / job for you. Call your home owner's insurance company right away and let them know you have evacuated and expect a major loss, as they will soon be swamped with calls for damage claims and they will respond in the order of calls received. If you have to pay for food or lodging or replacement clothes keep all of those receipts to submit with your insurance claim as they may reimburse you for these unexpected expenses. Stay safe out there.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:15:54 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 06:00:33 PM
Glad to hear that you are okay.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 06:08:08 PM
Sounds like a real mess. Glad you're safe.

+1 !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD