Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shop projects 27250

Point Of No Return Posts: 30,475 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Shop projects
« Reply #570 on: November 30, 2020, 03:13:36 AM »
Niice!! Using the magnets was a clever idea, it must feel great and really comfortable!!
Thanks, yeah I must say that was a pretty good idea, and oh so good to just sit back in the most comfortable chair in the house and do whatever!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
No Life Club Posts: 1,056

WWW 00

« Reply #571 on: January 02, 2021, 11:07:18 PM »
After watching countless hours of putty knife restorations, I was ready to restore one myself. But after seeing the ridiculous shipping prices on eBay I decided that I would have to buy localy. It was settled, localy it was. But the putty knives I'd found were in no need of TLC. They were NOS (New Old Stock), and were a better buy than older beat up ones. In that moment I realised that I could make one myself!! But as usual it took me ages to gather the willingness to produce one. After watching a rehandling by YouTuber 357magdad, I knew that I could not waste more time. And so this journey began...

Reclaimed wood from a "cake stand" (no idea what they're called), parts were filled with bugs, used my Stanley nº4 to taper and clean up the sides. The tenon was cut with a chisel to fit a 15mm copper connector that was cut in half.

A better look at the tenon. A hole was drilled and a slot was cut with a hacksaw. The slot is then carved into the handle with a modified hacksaw blade.

An old saw blade is cut and shaped to form the blade of the putty knife. Later decided to add the taper you see marked with a sharpie marker.

Decided against the round shoulders and went for straight 90º. The tang was also filed a little more, enlarging the slot was more difficult than making the tang narrower.

Finished product with the copper "ferrule" in place. I reckon that I could use a reduction to get a little bit of a radius on the top of the ferrule.

Backside of the handle. I did not apply any finish as I may change my mind regarding the handle shape.

Sorry for the bad photos and the unnecessarily long windedness!
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,629
« Reply #572 on: January 02, 2021, 11:26:43 PM »
Nice project and well done ! 
No Life Club Posts: 1,056

WWW 00

« Reply #573 on: January 06, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
Nice project and well done !

Thanks SteveC!! I was really fun and the results really surprised me!!
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,629
« Reply #574 on: February 20, 2021, 08:27:40 PM »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95