Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Securing stuff/tools in an SUV 1161

No Life Club Posts: 3,994 Improvise.
Securing stuff/tools in an SUV
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
A few months ago I had a thread about me looking into getting a Chevy Blazer, and yesterday I test drove one and almost bought it (they offered $1500 trade in for my Cadillac...deal breaker).  Anyways it was a 2004 4 door 4WD model and exactly what I'm looking for for my next vehicle.

One thing got me thinking though...I'd need to secure all my "stuff" somehow in the cargo area.  Not only for theft, but in case I get into an accident...a 40lb tool box and a 40lb jack flying at the back of my head isn't going to be pretty.  Are there any solutions to keep stuff like that secure?

And a side question;  What is 4WD "low" and 4WD "high"?  Does it have to do with torque?

[
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,462 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Securing stuff/tools in an SUV
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »
4LO is geared very low, but delivers so much torque to the wheels that you could almost literally pull a house off it's foundations.  Of course you are really revving the engine high if you try to drive more than 10mph in 4LO, so unless you are stuck or pulling someone or something else that is, stay out of 4LO.  4HI is used when on gravel, snow or other slippery surface when traveling at normal speeds, like driving to work in a storm or trail riding.

2004- wouldn't it have been a Trailblazer by then?  Not a huge difference, but I think they are somewhat more advanced than the older Blazers you were looking at previously, aren't they?

As for securing stuff, the best idea is to maybe use the tie downs that are found in most trucks and some high quality strapping to hold a tool box down.  Also, if you can find a tool box with a wider, flatter bottom instead of a taller one, it might help keep the center of gravity low.

One idea I had long ago was to build a "second floor" in the back of a truck.  I may still do this with my Jeep, but it should also work nicely with a Blazer.  Build a frame on either side of the body tub, about even with the tops of the wheel wells, making sure to include framework that fits in between the wheel wells.  Attach some heavy duty drawer sliders and a box to the frame and cover the whole thing with plywood and new carpeting.  What this will mean is that when people look in the back, it will look like regular flooring, but when you open the back end, you have a large slide out drawer with all your tools, jack, fire extinguisher etc safely tucked away underneath.  I figure all you'll need is a level, drill, maybe a reciprocating saw and a rivet gun to do the whole thing- and some 1/4" plywood and galvanized steel L shaped, all of which should be available at Home Depot, and cost maybe $100, but probably less.  The only reason I haven't done it yet is I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the back seats.  Of course, the Blazer has a much larger cargo area than my Jeep, so you could easily do it behind the back seats and not worry about it.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,426 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
isn't the answer obvious? Duct tape of course!

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9
No Life Club Posts: 3,994 Improvise.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
4LO is geared very low, but delivers so much torque to the wheels that you could almost literally pull a house off it's foundations.  Of course you are really revving the engine high if you try to drive more than 10mph in 4LO, so unless you are stuck or pulling someone or something else that is, stay out of 4LO.  4HI is used when on gravel, snow or other slippery surface when traveling at normal speeds, like driving to work in a storm or trail riding.

2004- wouldn't it have been a Trailblazer by then?  Not a huge difference, but I think they are somewhat more advanced than the older Blazers you were looking at previously, aren't they?

As for securing stuff, the best idea is to maybe use the tie downs that are found in most trucks and some high quality strapping to hold a tool box down.  Also, if you can find a tool box with a wider, flatter bottom instead of a taller one, it might help keep the center of gravity low.

One idea I had long ago was to build a "second floor" in the back of a truck.  I may still do this with my Jeep, but it should also work nicely with a Blazer.  Build a frame on either side of the body tub, about even with the tops of the wheel wells, making sure to include framework that fits in between the wheel wells.  Attach some heavy duty drawer sliders and a box to the frame and cover the whole thing with plywood and new carpeting.  What this will mean is that when people look in the back, it will look like regular flooring, but when you open the back end, you have a large slide out drawer with all your tools, jack, fire extinguisher etc safely tucked away underneath.  I figure all you'll need is a level, drill, maybe a reciprocating saw and a rivet gun to do the whole thing- and some 1/4" plywood and galvanized steel L shaped, all of which should be available at Home Depot, and cost maybe $100, but probably less.  The only reason I haven't done it yet is I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the back seats.  Of course, the Blazer has a much larger cargo area than my Jeep, so you could easily do it behind the back seats and not worry about it.

Def

Thanks for the info on the gears :salute:

The Blazer and TrailBlazer were being produced at the same time for a while, but they stopped making Blazers in 2005 and the larger TrailBlazer has taken it's place.

I also thought of some kind of drawer system in the back, I even think someone here (or EDCforums) had pics of a drawer system in their SUV.  Another solution would be to get a small truck box and bolt it down in the back.  It's really one of those things where I've got to sit down and LOOK at it with a pad and pencil to see what can work.

[
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,271
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »
I've been thinking about "do it yourself" cargo nets but keep forgetting to look into it,
I also worry about "missiles" flying at me in an accident or rollover!

I also remember we had a thread similar to this and I think it was Dunc that said
to have your MT "reachable" and secure near you so you can get it fast and easy
"in case" which I thought was very wise. I have a nice door pouch that has my
SOG and my Spirit is always in my pocket (sounds like a song).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:22:16 PM by WhichDawg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $15.68
PayPal Fees: $1.13
Net Balance: $14.55
Below Goal: $285.45
Site Currency: USD