Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going Buck Wild.

toolguy · 1001 · 44286

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Going Buck Wild.
Reply #120 on: December 28, 2015, 05:14:03 AM
More nice additions TG!   :tu:  I've owned three Randalls. They a couple Bagwells and various other knives were stolen a number of years ago. For some reason  I've never bought another yet. I really like the O1 steel Randalls.  :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: December 29, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
More nice additions TG!   :tu:  I've owned three Randalls. They a couple Bagwells and various other knives were stolen a number of years ago. For some reason  I've never bought another yet. I really like the O1 steel Randalls.  :)

Thanks David.

I'm sorry to hear about the theft of your knives.If you buy from the Randall shop you have five years to save for the purchase.I only own one 01 steel Randall,all of the others are SS.I just feel I have too many knives to preform regular maintenance on all of them,so SS serves me better.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: December 30, 2015, 08:42:25 PM
Here is the Buck Harley Davidson Commemorative that I mentioned in a previous post.

It is the fourth IV "Country Roads" in the ten knife H.D. series.The blade on this knife depicts a rider and his passenger,cruising the back roads in 1919.It has brass bolsters and redwood scales and was assembled in 1993.

It came packaged in a black velvet jewelry box with a white satin lining and a Certificate Of Authenticity-COA.

DSCN2619.JPG
* DSCN2619.JPG (Filesize: 186.64 KB)
DSCN2621.JPG
* DSCN2621.JPG (Filesize: 179.36 KB)
DSCN2620.JPG
* DSCN2620.JPG (Filesize: 178.38 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: December 31, 2015, 10:57:11 PM
Here is another Buck commemorative.If there is one fact that I've learned since embarking on this adventure to put together a small collection of Bucks is this:Buck has made a knife to commemorate every event and every company since the beginning of human history.LOL

All kidding aside,Buck has made a large number of Commemorative knives but I intend to buy only those that hold some personal interest to me.The DU models and the HD models are two that hold such personal interest.

This set,which I bought just recently,is also of personal interest to me.

It is a Boone and Crocket combo of one 112 Ranger and one 113 Ranger Skinner.It is a limited edition of 250 sets of which this one is numbered 90.These come with satin finished 420HC steel blades,polished brass bolsters and handles made of Box Elder Burl with a B&C medallion inlay.The 112  features a drop point blade with a nice swept hollow grind.The set also comes with brown distressed leather sheaths and a walnut glass-top display case.
DSCN2630.JPG
* DSCN2630.JPG (Filesize: 199.84 KB)
DSCN2637.JPG
* DSCN2637.JPG (Filesize: 172.04 KB)
DSCN2633.JPG
* DSCN2633.JPG (Filesize: 196.19 KB)
DSCN2635.JPG
* DSCN2635.JPG (Filesize: 179.58 KB)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:59:05 PM by toolguy »

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #124 on: December 31, 2015, 11:56:24 PM
Oh wow, they look great.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: January 01, 2016, 12:12:41 AM
Oh wow, they look great.   :tu:   :tu:

Thanks ZB,they are very impressive.There is a set on ebay but the burl doesn't carry through the handle as thoroughly as these two.The seller on the bay also wants more money.

I was very fortunate to locate these two.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #126 on: January 01, 2016, 12:17:12 AM
That's a little fancy there. I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the handle pattern/material.  :P
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: January 01, 2016, 12:29:55 AM
That's a little fancy there. I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the handle pattern/material.  :P

It's natural wood named Box Elder Burl and my meager skills behind the camera doesn't do this wood justice.It does look better in person than in these pictures.

My son made the same comment when I sent a pic to him."It's too fancy dad."LOL

SM,did you notice that the 112 doesn't have any rear bolster ?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:31:52 AM by toolguy »

us Offline sawman

Reply #128 on: January 01, 2016, 12:32:58 AM

It's natural wood named Box Elder Burl and my meager skills behind the camera doesn't do this wood justice.It does look better in person than in these pictures.

I did notice that and am a little confused  :think:
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: January 01, 2016, 12:39:21 AM

I did notice that and am a little confused  :think:

Calling the front and rear of the knife "bolsters" is some what inaccurate.The front and rear along with the liner are "one  piece" so therefore the more accurate description is called a frame.When they build these they mill off the rear bolster leaving the underlying frame and then place the handles/scales just behind the front bolster to the end of the frame.

Pretty cool huh ?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: January 01, 2016, 12:47:09 AM
These two makers have taken this type of build to a fine art.

http://remerstoneknives.com/product-category/customized-knives/folding-customized-knives/

us Offline sawman

Reply #131 on: January 01, 2016, 01:04:41 AM
 :o That's some amazing custom work there!
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: January 01, 2016, 09:18:41 PM
:o That's some amazing custom work there!

Absolutely great work but not without a substantial cost.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: January 01, 2016, 09:22:17 PM
This is a model 110 that Buck released in 2014 to celebrate the introduction of Chuck Bucks most famous design,the Folding Hunter.

The emblem,placed in the scale,indicates the 50th anniversary model.
DSCN2634.JPG
* DSCN2634.JPG (Filesize: 192.15 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: January 02, 2016, 07:15:55 PM
Here are two more that arrived today.These are Buck 110's and the distinguishing feature of both of these knives is the non-standard handle material.

One has oak dymondwood and the other has hunter green dymondwood. The hunter green is numbered because this color is limited to 100 knives of total production.

DSCN2657.JPG
* DSCN2657.JPG (Filesize: 182.15 KB)
DSCN2658.JPG
* DSCN2658.JPG (Filesize: 182.39 KB)
DSCN2660.JPG
* DSCN2660.JPG (Filesize: 182.13 KB)

us Offline sawman

Reply #135 on: January 02, 2016, 07:48:49 PM
Superb acquisition :drool:
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: January 02, 2016, 08:27:59 PM
Superb acquisition :drool:

These  are not expensive knives.They are listed on ebay and the oak was $51.00 and the green was $50.00.I actually bought the green on Amazon because I had a $20.00 gift card.

At this point it's like collecting different colored Alox.LOL.

I do wish I could find more inexpensive 112's,as I like the smaller model of the Buck folders slightly more.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:45:46 PM by toolguy »

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #137 on: January 03, 2016, 02:22:15 PM
Lemme rant: the clip of my Buck Spitfire got caught on a ... piece of button on my pocket (:ahhh) and got bent, grr. I can probably repair it / bend it back with some pliers, but wtf.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #138 on: January 03, 2016, 04:03:54 PM
Really quite beautiful knives,  thanks for the inspiration

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: January 03, 2016, 06:47:49 PM
Lemme rant: the clip of my Buck Spitfire got caught on a ... piece of button on my pocket (:ahhh) and got bent, grr. I can probably repair it / bend it back with some pliers, but wtf.

Are you sure that it occurred when it caught on your button or could it have happened at another time and you just noticed when it caught on the button.

I know that anything is possible but it seems more plausible that it occurred at another time and you just noticed it.No matter,I would contact Buck and inquire if warranty covers this.

Rant acceptable in the event of failure.A consumer has the right to expect good performance when they spend their hard earned money.

Send Buck an email.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: January 03, 2016, 06:48:40 PM
Really quite beautiful knives,  thanks for the inspiration

Thank you and you're welcome.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: January 05, 2016, 06:30:04 PM
Buck Knives commissioned David Yellowhorse to customize their knives and offer them to their customers.I believe,but I'm not certain that David did one knife a year for several years.

This is one of David's customised Buck 112's titled "bugling elk".I posted a picture of this knife,earlier in this thread,which I copied from the ebay sale that I won.

It arrived yesterday and I took the time to clean and polish it and then take a few pics.It came packaged in a really nice walnut display case which I show here in the first pic.

I haven't found the complete history of this particular knife as yet but I'll continue to search.
DSCN2666.JPG
* DSCN2666.JPG (Filesize: 185.13 KB)
DSCN2668.JPG
* DSCN2668.JPG (Filesize: 187.67 KB)
DSCN2669.JPG
* DSCN2669.JPG (Filesize: 183.91 KB)
DSCN2670.JPG
* DSCN2670.JPG (Filesize: 184.55 KB)

us Offline sawman

Reply #142 on: January 05, 2016, 10:50:25 PM
It's beautiful!  Love the turquoise!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Joe58

Reply #143 on: January 05, 2016, 11:37:36 PM

Yeah, no kidding. That's a dandy looking piece of art Toolguy!

You've been making some nice scores for sure. Making yourself a dang good collection.

:tu:
🇨🇭

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: January 06, 2016, 09:47:23 PM

Thanks Steve.In researching David Yellowhorse I discovered he was trained as a maker of traditional Navajo jewelry.He then took those skills and applied them to creating special editions of Buck knives.

Yeah, no kidding. That's a dandy looking piece of art Toolguy!

You've been making some nice scores for sure. Making yourself a dang good collection.

Thanks Joe, I've been very fortunate to not only discover these knives but win the auction at below my personal limit.

Here is a brief video displaying some of David Yellowhorse's early knives.The "Bugling Elk" knife I've shown here is also shown in this video.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:50:29 PM by toolguy »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #145 on: January 07, 2016, 02:42:36 AM
Here are two more Buck's that arrived today.These were listed on the Buck website as "web specials".

These were sold as Boone and Crocket Platinum Series knives and they were listed at a substantial discount.They came with good quality sheaths which adds to their already exceptional value.

http://www.buckknives.com/web-specials/
DSCN2674.JPG
* DSCN2674.JPG (Filesize: 190.45 KB)
DSCN2673.JPG
* DSCN2673.JPG (Filesize: 186.36 KB)
DSCN2675.JPG
* DSCN2675.JPG (Filesize: 181.82 KB)
DSCN2676.JPG
* DSCN2676.JPG (Filesize: 184 KB)

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #146 on: January 07, 2016, 08:04:37 AM
Those two look pretty useful.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline David

Reply #147 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:40 PM

1+
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: January 07, 2016, 08:53:35 PM
1+

They're certainly more utilitarian than some of my recent Buck additions.

The "waterfowler" was a redundant purchase as I bought one several years ago at some blowout sale.This earlier purchase also has an S30V blade.It's pictured with its full coverage and nice quality sheath.I just couldn't help but to buy the Boone and Crocket version because they were more attractive with their walnut checkered handles.

I also received in this shipment a "caping" knife and honestly I don't remember buying it.I was a bit surprised when I discovered it but at a cost of $15.00 I wasn't upset.It too is a utilitarian knife with its rubberized handle and its full coverage cordura sheath.

DSCN2682.JPG
* DSCN2682.JPG (Filesize: 179.11 KB)
DSCN2678.JPG
* DSCN2678.JPG (Filesize: 189.4 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: January 09, 2016, 12:12:08 AM
I was fortunate to win this Buck and it arrived today.Prices vary wildly for these David Yellowhorse knives.Some collectors have these listed on their sites for as much as $495.00.If you can buy these for under $300.00 you will have purchased a true gem.

Good Luck.
DSCN2684.JPG
* DSCN2684.JPG (Filesize: 192.68 KB)
DSCN2689.JPG
* DSCN2689.JPG (Filesize: 188.54 KB)
DSCN2685.JPG
* DSCN2685.JPG (Filesize: 186.83 KB)
DSCN2687.JPG
* DSCN2687.JPG (Filesize: 190.03 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%