Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going Buck Wild.

toolguy · 1001 · 44293

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Going Buck Wild.
Reply #90 on: December 21, 2015, 02:56:18 AM
That DU Buck sure is a beauty.      8)      :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: December 22, 2015, 06:55:26 PM
That DU Buck sure is a beauty.      8)      :)

Thanks David.

This bears repeating, I'm a very fortunate toolguy/knifeguy
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: December 22, 2015, 07:00:47 PM
Here is a Buck Custom Shop creation.My oldest son gave this to me before he and our lovely daughter-in-law left to visit my sister on the left coast for Christmas.

It is a Buck 110 with S30V blade,nickel silver bolsters,polished G10 scales and my initials engraved into the rear bolster.It pays dividends to raise toolguy/knifeguy children.LOL.

DSCN2588.JPG
* DSCN2588.JPG (Filesize: 180.67 KB)
DSCN2590.JPG
* DSCN2590.JPG (Filesize: 173.39 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #93 on: December 22, 2015, 10:26:53 PM
Here is a Buck Custom Shop creation.My oldest son gave this to me before he and our lovely daughter-in-law left to visit my sister on the left coast for Christmas.

It is a Buck 110 with S30V blade,nickel silver bolsters,polished G10 scales and my initials engraved into the rear bolster.It pays dividends to raise toolguy/knifeguy children.LOL.
What a super nice gift. You're a lucky dad :tu: :D
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: December 22, 2015, 11:26:19 PM

Thanks brother.

Both my wife and I are very fortunate.Our two daughters always find interesting gifts for their mother as well.I'm usually in on the secret so I don't duplicate their gift.LOL.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #95 on: December 22, 2015, 11:43:13 PM

+1  :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: December 23, 2015, 06:51:29 PM
+1  :tu:

Thanks Steve.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: December 23, 2015, 06:59:56 PM
Here is another "build out" by Buck.This term is applied to knives in which Buck uses limited parts,such as scales,blades ect.,to build the last of these knives.

This particular 110 uses burl wood scales,mirror polished blades with Alfred C. Buck's signature and nickel silver bolsters.They also offer these at a substantial discount.

DSCN2602.JPG
* DSCN2602.JPG (Filesize: 185.44 KB)
DSCN2606.JPG
* DSCN2606.JPG (Filesize: 187.99 KB)
DSCN2607.JPG
* DSCN2607.JPG (Filesize: 188.13 KB)

us Offline sawman

Reply #98 on: December 23, 2015, 07:17:48 PM
Nickel bolster are the smurf! :drool: :drool: :drool:
SAW

us Offline Joe58

Reply #99 on: December 23, 2015, 07:35:50 PM
Tool guy - that's a real nice looking model. Scales are gorgeous.

I've heard a rumor that under the tree I may have one of those last of the Buck BG42 110's under the tree.  :D

Shame that Buck is finished with BG42, but I'm sure that'll mean more in S30v, and other steels as well. I've a couple of the BCCI 301's in BG42 and it's a great pocket knife steel. Oddly enough, on the last one of those I got that I had designated for carry, it came with horribly weak backsprings. Not much snap at all. Joe Houser had me send it to him and said he'd fix me up. Nice people to deal with.
🇨🇭

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: December 23, 2015, 07:44:21 PM
Nickel bolster are the smurf! :drool: :drool: :drool:

They don't corrode like brass and in most instances do look better than brass.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: December 23, 2015, 07:54:49 PM
Tool guy - that's a real nice looking model. Scales are gorgeous.
I've heard a rumor that under the tree I may have one of those last of the Buck BG42 110's under the tree.  :D
Shame that Buck is finished with BG42, but I'm sure that'll mean more in S30v, and other steels as well. I've a couple of the BCCI 301's in BG42 and it's a great pocket knife steel. Oddly enough, on the last one of those I got that I had designated for carry, it came with horribly weak backsprings. Not much snap at all. Joe Houser had me send it to him and said he'd fix me up. Nice people to deal with.

Thanks Joe.

I first became aware of this model on the bay.They were listed at around $200.00,there are a few listings at $179.00 right now.Being the frugal toolguy that I am,I searched for this model and discover the best price on the Buck website.When I found it they had 20 left.Since it was listed at 40% cheaper than the ebay listings I bought it.

To be honest I don't have any experience with BG42.I did buy one recently and the dealer claimed the BG42 is the last of Buck's supply of this steel and they will not be ordering any more.I do hope you get that BG42 model Joe,as it appears will be a unique acquisition.

Your anecdote about Joe Houser is very interesting,as he is known as the go-to-guy that will solve any problem you may have with a Buck.He also makes many limited runs of Buck knives.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: December 23, 2015, 08:07:53 PM
Here is another "build out" by Buck.This term is applied to knives in which Buck uses limited parts,such as scales,blades ect.,to build the last of these knives.

This particular 110 uses burl wood scales,mirror polished blades with Alfred C. Buck's signature and nickel silver bolsters.They also offer these at a substantial discount.

Another beauty  :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: December 23, 2015, 08:13:23 PM
Another beauty  :tu:

Thanks Steve,I've been very lucky in my search for unique but not too expensive Buck knives.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: December 23, 2015, 08:44:20 PM
In looking through this thread,I realized I neglected to post pictures of the limited run of the BG42 Bucks.

Here it is equipped with the aforementioned BG42 drop point blade with a nail nick,nickel silver bolsters,charcoal dymondwood scales and a distressed black leather sheath.

In case any of our members wish to buy this model,here is a link to the sellers listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Knives-110-Folding-Hunter-BG-42-Drop-Point-Blade-/281892347210?hash=item41a217dd4a:g:MTcAAOSwHQ9WWg~Y
DSCN2452.JPG
* DSCN2452.JPG (Filesize: 184.76 KB)
DSCN2453.JPG
* DSCN2453.JPG (Filesize: 184.02 KB)
DSCN2454.JPG
* DSCN2454.JPG (Filesize: 179.81 KB)
DSCN2456.JPG
* DSCN2456.JPG (Filesize: 190.45 KB)

us Offline sawman

Reply #105 on: December 24, 2015, 01:06:00 AM
What a super nice knife and that's an extremely good price. I don't know how Buck manages to offer so much for the money TBH :2tu:
SAW

us Offline Joe58

Reply #106 on: December 24, 2015, 01:31:19 AM
In looking through this thread,I realized I neglected to post pictures of the limited run of the BG42 Bucks.

Here it is equipped with the aforementioned BG42 drop point blade with a nail nick,nickel silver bolsters,charcoal dymondwood scales and a distressed black leather sheath.

In case any of our members wish to buy this model,here is a link to the sellers listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Knives-110-Folding-Hunter-BG-42-Drop-Point-Blade-/281892347210?hash=item41a217dd4a:g:MTcAAOSwHQ9WWg~Y

Yup, I think that may be what Santa is bringing.

If you want one, better jump, as a Buck rep said that's the last of their BG-42 and there are no plans to purchase more........perfect excuse to justify a new knife purchase.  :rofl:

On another forum, a thread about these knives, indicated some buyers getting models with a bit more gray on the handles instead of as pictured. So something to be aware of. The seller may or may not be able to check the knife for you if you want as dark as possible.

I'd been going back and forth on possibly having it rehandled. I typically don't care for safe queens as such, but at this point, the issue is moot as I've more knives packed away than I'll likely ever be able to get to. Lol. So I may just put it away.
🇨🇭

us Offline Joe58

Reply #107 on: December 24, 2015, 01:40:58 AM
Here's a 560 I had sent in many years ago and had re-bladed with BG-42. I have no idea how many deer this knife has been in, buts it's a bunch. Thru the ribs, pelvis, whatever, and the blade still looks like new and takes a wicked sharp edge. I'm a fan of the BG-42 Buck puts out. Good stuff.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 112.05 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 132.65 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 148.68 KB)
🇨🇭

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: December 24, 2015, 02:16:02 AM
What a super nice knife and that's an extremely good price. I don't know how Buck manages to offer so much for the money TBH :2tu:

Thanks SM.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: December 24, 2015, 02:24:04 AM
Double post.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:30:46 AM by toolguy »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: December 24, 2015, 02:25:15 AM
Here's a 560 I had sent in many years ago and had re-bladed with BG-42. I have no idea how many deer this knife has been in, buts it's a bunch. Thru the ribs, pelvis, whatever, and the blade still looks like new and takes a wicked sharp edge. I'm a fan of the BG-42 Buck puts out. Good stuff.

I wish my 560 had BG42.I have so many knives that the 560 never received any significant use.I also prefer a fixed blade for my game work,such as one of my Randalls,although I have used many folders in the past.

Here is your 560's cousin.
DSCN1464-1.jpg
* DSCN1464-1.jpg (Filesize: 153 KB)
DSCN1671-2.jpg
* DSCN1671-2.jpg (Filesize: 229.02 KB)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 03:11:15 AM by toolguy »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:05 PM
Here are two more that arrived recently.

The top two pics are of a Ranger 112 and the unique feature of this particular knife is the nickel silver bolsters.I may be mistaken but these NS bolsters haven't been available since 2010.

The next two pics are of a current production 110 and it's distinguishing features are the drop point blade and the rosewood scales..These are currently available for about $20.00 more than the standard issue 110 but only from one dealer.
DSCN2609.JPG
* DSCN2609.JPG (Filesize: 187.42 KB)
DSCN2610.JPG
* DSCN2610.JPG (Filesize: 187.28 KB)
DSCN2611.JPG
* DSCN2611.JPG (Filesize: 195.64 KB)
DSCN2612.JPG
* DSCN2612.JPG (Filesize: 186.87 KB)

us Offline Joe58

Reply #112 on: December 27, 2015, 03:40:10 AM

I wish my 560 had BG42.I have so many knives that the 560 never received any significant use.I also prefer a fixed blade for my game work,such as one of my Randalls,although I have used many folders in the past.

Here is your 560's cousin.

Yeah, actually, for the past few years I've moved over to fixed blade myself. Mostly cause I'm lazy and they're easier to clean. But as I've gotten older, the 560 is a little harder for me to get a good grasp on.

I guess without looking, I'm not sure of BG42 fixed blades from a regular maker, not custom. I may be incorrect though. This year I used a new BM in S30v and a custom in 1095. Both worked quite well.

A Randall is one I've never had the pleasure of owning actually. Very nice looking one there.
🇨🇭

us Offline Joe58

Reply #113 on: December 27, 2015, 03:33:57 PM
Operator error....
🇨🇭

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: December 27, 2015, 07:32:52 PM
Operator error....that is, not owning a Randall.LOL

Every man,before he meets his Maker,should own a Randall.LOL

I own a few.Randalls provide the owner with a unique hand made tool.They also provide you with an investment,that pays dividends,should you decide to sell.
DSCN0877-1.jpg
* DSCN0877-1.jpg (Filesize: 210.55 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: December 27, 2015, 10:13:15 PM
I accidently bought another Buck.LOL

I was exploring the idea of buying a Buck Harley Davidson commemorative,when I saw this Buck about to close out on the bay.I placed a half hearted bid just a dollar above the prevailing bid.I never really expected to win but to my surprise I won the auction.

There were 10 different knives in the Harley Davidson Series,advertised using Roman numerals to identify each knife but Buck made 3,000 of each model,so they're not scarce.They usually sell for $100.00 to $125.00 but my bid was $57.00,so I'm the proud but unexpected owner of the number IV knife in this series.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #116 on: December 27, 2015, 11:14:57 PM
Fantastic thread toolguy.  You've got some stunning knives mate. :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: December 27, 2015, 11:27:31 PM
Fantastic thread toolguy.  You've got some stunning knives mate. :drool:

Thank you Gareth.

Although I've owned a few Bucks in the past,I've never really thought of putting together a small collection until recently.I'm really in the process of learning and trying to pass on as much of this information as possible in this thread.

These knives are not state of the art but there is something to be said for such a basic design,that has endured in a competitive market and has served millions of sportsman for over half of a century.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #118 on: December 28, 2015, 12:33:22 AM
I accidently bought another Buck.LOL

I was exploring the idea of buying a Buck Harley Davidson commemorative,when I saw this Buck about to close out on the bay.I placed a half hearted bid just a dollar above the prevailing bid.I never really expected to win but to my surprise I won the auction.

There were 10 different knives in the Harley Davidson Series,advertised using Roman numerals to identify each knife but Buck made 3,000 of each model,so they're not scarce.They usually sell for $100.00 to $125.00 but my bid was $57.00,so I'm the proud but unexpected owner of the number IV knife in this series.

Kind of a fun surprise when you throw a bid out there figuring it'll blow right past you then you get the notification. Nice score! You've been on a rapid Buck expansion...lol. I can't say much though myself. Hopefully the other half isn't home when they show up in the mail box. She knows what knife boxes look like. And she gets suspicious when out of nowhere I go out to the curb for the mail. Guns are easier. She doesn't notice if I carry two out and three back in. :) I'm mostly kidding. I just get a bit of the stink eye and a heavy sigh.
🇨🇭

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: December 28, 2015, 02:46:09 AM
Kind of a fun surprise when you throw a bid out there figuring it'll blow right past you then you get the notification. Nice score! You've been on a rapid Buck expansion...lol. I can't say much though myself. Hopefully the other half isn't home when they show up in the mail box. She knows what knife boxes look like. And she gets suspicious when out of nowhere I go out to the curb for the mail. Guns are easier. She doesn't notice if I carry two out and three back in. :) I'm mostly kidding. I just get a bit of the stink eye and a heavy sigh.

You're not kidding,it is a fun surprise and it just happened again.I was bidding on a David Yellowhorse custom Buck 112.The seller had 8 transactions and the only other bidder on this custom had 6,700 transactions.I didn't think I had a chance but as always I set a personal limit on the price.I was shocked when my bid was the winning bid and it was well below my limit.

Here is this beautiful Buck 112.
David Yellowhorse 1.jpg
* David Yellowhorse 1.jpg (Filesize: 151.96 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%