Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix L2D beamshots - OP vs. Smooth Reflector

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Fenix L2D beamshots - OP vs. Smooth Reflector
on: August 25, 2008, 09:07:45 AM
I was very much satisfied with my Fenix L2D Q5 with OP reflector that I got last April.  I love its cool tint and I all its features except for its length. For me, the L2D’s length is not ideal for EDC, so I decided to get a L1D Q5.
When I got the chance to go to Manila I requested Gene (Teofilo) to accompany me to our favorite sporting goods store. We tested several L1Ds and we found out that all new stocks have smooth reflector and a warm tint, yet I decided to get one.

Note: I researched and found out that the new L2Ds have also the same warm tint as the new L1Ds.

Since both heads of L1D and L2D are physically and electronically the same (except for the reverse polarity protection), I decided to conduct beamshots using the L2D body tube for both OP and smooth reflector heads. There was total darkness before I conducted these beamshots at 3:00 A.M..

These are my observations on the new head:
1. It has reverse polarity protection
2. Has a a lower low.
3. Throws a bit farther.
4. Smaller but a bit intense hot spot.
5. Brighter spill.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Re: Fenix L2D beamshots - OP vs. Smooth Reflector
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:10:46 AM
Perhaps it's down to my lack of experience but I didn't think that a change in reflector could make such a difference Thanks again for the real world beamshots

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:01:36 PM
Very nice beamshots indeed, Ed! I think there's only a (very) little difference between OP and smooth reflectors when it comes to light throw and spill. A major factor would be the tint. Is it a fact, Ed,  that a white tint is the brightest if not, the best among colored tints?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:46:54 PM
It's great to hear of these improvements!  Reverse polarity protection of some sort should always be present, and I love warm tints for proper color rendtion.  Most importantly though, is the lower low!  I could never commit to EDCing the LxD series, because the low wasn't near low enough.

Thanks Eddie!
- Terry

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:10 PM
Very nice beamshots indeed, Ed! I think there's only a (very) little difference between OP and smooth reflectors when it comes to light throw and spill. A major factor would be the tint. Is it a fact, Ed,  that a white tint is the brightest if not, the best among colored tints?
If you are looking for nasty stuff/bad men in the dark that bit extra on the spill makes a big difference but I would agree that tint is really nice

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:30:05 PM
Edi, I think the head of my P2D is very similar if not, exactly the same with your L2D: warm tint and no reverse polarity protection! have to be careful in exchanging batteries, especially on one cell lights.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:36:42 PM
I believed only the most recent stocks Fenix falshlights are equipped reverse plolarity protection gene. Yup, let's be careful when replacing the battery/batteries.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:00:17 PM
I believed only the most recent stocks Fenix falshlights are equipped reverse plolarity protection gene. Yup, let's be careful when replacing the battery/batteries.
I am something of a knuckle dragger the rverse polarity protection that you guys mention is that to save any damage if you put the batteries in back to front

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:31:53 PM
I am something of a knuckle dragger the rverse polarity protection that you guys mention is that to save any damage if you put the batteries in back to front

Yes.  If you put the battery in backwards in the older design Fenix lights (and other brands) and turn the light on, the circuit will fry and the light will no longer work.
- Terry

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:35:26 PM

Yes.  If you put the battery in backwards in the older design Fenix lights (and other brands) and turn the light on, the circuit will fry and the light will no longer work.
Cheers Mate

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD