Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival pack for the car: I need suggestions

kirk13 · 42 · 4846

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
on: December 13, 2015, 07:29:19 PM
This isn't a hypothetical one,this is a fairly serious one.

So here's the scenario: My flat mate works as a traveling sales rep. His company car is in serious need of proper maintance,which it's unlikely to get. At this point we're 8 months since its last major break down.

What I want to do is prepare a small backpack. It's contents should provide warmth and sustenance from the time of break down to the point of vehicle recovery,assuming the breakdown will happen in the butt end of southern England(so max five hours?)

Also I'm looking at staying under a budget of £20-25,and my flatmate in practical terms is vegetarian.

So...ideas please!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Survival pack for the car: I need suggestions
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:39:23 PM
AA/RAC subscription  :D

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:43:53 PM
AA/RAC subscription  :D

Don't!

It took the first major breakdown to get Green Flag coverage :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 07:47:58 PM
Just stream of consciousness here:

- quilt(s), jacket, winter hat, winter gloves
- peanut butter w/ spoon, or other food item that is calorie-dense and can be left in vehicle for extended periods
- MT
- water
- container with lid for water transport, toilet
- toilet paper
- gas can

Maybe a signal flag to attach to the vehicle.

As for the water, I keep a case of bottled water in double ziplocks because those cheapy bottles can leak.  I have found that when water freezes and thaws repeatedly, the minerals in the water will precipitate and can be seen as flecks of debris in the water.  But it is of no concern once you figure out what's going on.

I carry a lot more than this, including tools, portable battery jumper with air pump (tires), firearm and ammo, small axe, wood saw, etc.  I rarely travel away from civilization, so a worst-case scenario for me would be getting stuck on the roadway for several hours due to a wreck or snow storm.

My most-used item is the portable battery jumper.  Mostly used for saving other people.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-portable-power-1150/p-02871688000P

When my kids were younger, the container with lid (roll of toilet paper inside) was very handy for upset stomachs while travelling.  Essential with kids.

But really the absolute basics for staying alive a day or two are warmth, water, and calories.

See also this video from sooch00, but it is expensive and has many items beyond the basics:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:49:57 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 07:51:59 PM
Assuming it's a roadside breakdown and nothing more serious, here are the things I feel may need addressing. Note, I'm trying to identify needs rather than solutions at this point  :salute:

Warmth: Well that's clothing, so he should have a spare jumper/fleece, waterproofs, gloves and hat. A second pair of sock can be useful if sitting still for any length of time.

Visibility: If it's electrical and he's no hazards, or even if the battery goes flat before help arrives, he needs to be seen. Think visibility of car, and of the individual

Sustenance: Cold non-perishable food (high calories) and water with the option of making a hot drink. My secret weapon for this is the Jetboil PCS, as I can easily use it anywhere, even inside the car if it's ventilated. That's an expensive option obviously, but think about ways of making a hot drink wherever he may be when the bad luck strikes, without making the situation worse

Boredom: listening to the radio and flattening the battery quicker, or flattening his phone battery won't be helpful. Simple as it sounds, something to keep the mind occupied can really help when you have a wait ahead of you

Communication back up: if the phone is flat, a list of other contact details so another phone can be used.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 08:35:59 PM
-a high visibilty west
-a couple of bottles of soda or water
- a couple of snickers bars
- a flashlight with batteries
-a phone charger that takes    regular batteries with batteries
- a warm jacket, hat and gloves.
- a pocketbook for reading
-if you want warm food there is some trailfood you can get that comes with its own chemical heating bag. (No fire required) but I dont know what they are called in english.
- a roll of toilet paper
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:37:24 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:18:31 AM
I wasn't sure if you were asking for suggestions about the contents or the container.  The contents that others have suggested are more than adequate for vehicle emergencies or stranding. For the container I favor the Extreme Boat Bags or Offshore Angler Bags from Bass Pro shops.  They are duffel type bags as opposed to a back pack but they are water resistant and durable. I made mine more usable by putting a compartmented organizer inside of it.  If you don't have Bass Pro Shops you can see the type and can check wherever you get outdoor gear or fishing gear.
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-Boat-Bags/product/10205325/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT#desc-tab

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:57 PM
Have we misunderstood the question, John?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:51 PM
I'd add make sure to have written down any and all important phone #'s.  In this day and age I rarely recall #'s since my phone does all the work.

Food
I like granola type bars since they pack a punch and keep well.  I also have a couple tins of fruit as well.  Tuna in the pouch is easy to store. pack napkins or wipes and spork.

Water
pretty easy to keep in a vehicle. 

Lighting/safety
headlamp, flares, high vis/reflective road side marker, flashlight with disco modes, hi vis vest, spare batteries

warmth
rain gear, sweater, extra set clothes, rain boots, gloves, hat, warm blanket
( all can be sourced at resale shop )

misc
toilet paper, book, cards, crossword puzzle,
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:52:39 AM
Have we misunderstood the question, John?

Not at all Al,just needed to catch up ;)

Some great suggestions(hi viz vest,and peanut butter in particular)

But here's a more critical and specific one:

Boiling water! Stuff like a Jetboil is way over budget. I'd been looking at the idea of an esbit burner type,with mess tins to make up soup or hot chocolate.

Anyone have a better option?

Also,anyone actually used space blankets?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 01:28:30 AM
How about a soda can stove that burns rubbing alcohol?  I've used my Trangia but wind is a factor will need to set up a good wind screen.  I personally love my cheap iso butane/propane stove ( msr pocket rocket knock off ).  Mine was less than $8 and has been flawless in function.

In the link you will see a soda can stove, I no longer use it as my Trangia has replaced it. 

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57551.msg1039104.html#msg1039104

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:31:04 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 10:32:10 AM
Homemade meths burner was my thought too  :) add a cheap single walled metal mug and voila! Never used space blankets as an emergency measure, though over winter I do tend to have a wool blanket in the car.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 11:06:35 AM
Warming food would be secondary to warming the body; my biggest almost disaster was falling into a stream while fly fishing in winter and having to try use the car heater to warm up; stripped naked.  I was an hour from civilization and freezing. Drove the car naked with the heaters on full taps. Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 11:10:28 AM
Hand warmer: inside the car this can help a lot despite being small.

Also, some Energy shots (concentrated energy drink, both keeps you awake and has calories). This for me is the single most useful/underrated survival item. Staying awake and alert can be very important.
They can even be used to avoid tragedy as being tired / un-concentrated often leads to disaster on the road (yes, I understand that is not the issue here).

Cash / Money: So many uses.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 11:15:19 AM
A bit above your budget, but a hot woman may also help.  :)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 11:18:11 AM
I meant woman or man

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 11:18:25 AM
better change it to person

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 11:18:51 AM
possibly living thing would be better (more PC)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 11:19:28 AM
object may be even better.. 

(OK, saved that  :)   )

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 12:26:25 PM
We're talking a few hours here. As long as there is a way to stay dry and out of exposure (and you will by definition have a car for that in this case...), you don't need much. Personally, I think the most important piece of gear therefore would be a good pair of Wellingtons. A weather proof, lined jacket a nice bonus. Probably outside of budget here, but that would be my first priorities for a breakdown in the middle of nowhere, if help was only a five hours away.

Keeping a pair of rubber boots in the luggage compartment is usually a good idea anyway.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:28:04 PM by Steinar »

us Offline batosai117

Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 03:26:15 PM
Survivorman (Les Stroud) did an episode about being stranded in a vehicle in a snow covered area. He basically froze for a week and was relieved when it was time to go home.

I'd agree with everyone else about layering up and having ways to stay warm.

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

Offline TiCombat

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 03:59:07 PM
I might add, in areas of the world that are more crime prone, for those that may have SUV's etc that does not have a trunk/boot to keep items in, to downplay the container items might be kept in and viewable through windows.
Things like that ammo can, or cool bags will getcha window busted out in a heartbeat

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 04:03:11 PM
So much good advice!!! All I can add is a small portable SW radio with Lithium (long storage life) batteries stored separately. Nothing lifts my spirits like catching some news/music/talk when I have to wait.Could be important to stay on top of changing weather conditions too.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 04:10:36 PM
Like 50ft mentions, if you can find a nice wool blanket then I'd choose that for my car kit over any other type blanket.  As to the space blanket, while I havent used one I will be bold enough to say THEY WORK.  There is enough evidence and research to support them in use.  It's such a small light weight item to have so absolutely pack one or two in the car.

I don't think sun is much an issue in your neck of the woods but those space blankets can be reversed to shield one from the intense sun as well.   

I have my stuff in my truck which makes it a bit easier for me to carry.  What I've done for my daughter is use a 5 gal plastic pail.  The pail is water proof and tuff.  It has a handle and I've seen shoulder straps mods done to them. 

I like to put everything into zip top plastic bags then into the container.  I also add a couple trash bags as well. 

She has AAA which for me is peace of mind but if she should be out of cell range ( rare ) at least she'd have some comforts.
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 04:46:10 PM
This is the kind of self heating food I was talking about. Then you wont have to think a obout s burner.
http://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com/Vegetable-Curry-300g-Vegetarian.html
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 12:26:34 PM
This is what I have in my Jeep.

1. A small folding shovel for snow or dirt.
2. An emergency felt type throw for warmth or to be used as a pillow.
3. An emergency kit. It is a SOL Scout kit with a Victorninox Dual Pro added to the water tight packaging and a small LED light.
4. A first aid kit.
5. 1 SOL Emergency Bivvy.
6. 2 SOL Emergency Blankets.
7. A vehicle emergency tool kit that included road flares, break down sign, mini air compressor, tire jack/tire spanner, a small assortment of fuses, dedicated pliers, zip ties, etc, and a small straw type water filtration device and a few energy type bars and candy.

That is about it. My emergency kit is designed more for keeping warm in case of a winter breakdown along with good useful tools to signal for help. Best part, it is all small. The SOL stuff and medical kit all stow nicely in the two front doors. The rest fit in the back.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 12:38:52 PM
I have thought a little more about blankets, and I am getting more and more convinced we shouldn't get rid of our old wool blankets and replace them with space blankets. Of course, there is no reason not including a space blanket, since they're so compact, but:

Wool blankets isolate both against heat loss through radiation, convection and conduction. Space blankets are pretty useless when it comes to heat loss through conduction. If you for instance need something isolating between yourself and the ground, wool is great. Of course, a space blanket is water/rain proof, while a wool blanket isn't, so they complement each other nicely.

Also, wool blankets can be used to put out fires and a number of other improvised usages where a space blanket is not very useful.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 02:08:37 PM
Thanks for all the answers guys!

Budget allowing,here's what's going in so far....

Hi-viz vest
Couple of self heating meals
2l water
Fleece type blanket.

He should have an OK LED torch,and my old bladeless MP600 in the car already

wales Online Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 03:58:57 PM
I like the self heating food idea, stay away from hexamine or esbit whenever possible, just look up the gases it gives off when it burns.

One thing I would suggest is one of those largish, plastic stacking containers to put all the kit it.
1. cheaper than a bag and less likely to be used for a weekend away
2. If you breakdown on the motorway you get out of the car and go to the other side of the barrier and await recovery. If it's cold the box/container gives you a nice non-conductive seat to wait on.

The box also works where it's very hot as well, I've used a pelican case after the truck we were in decided to eat it's gearbox in the desert. No sand in my undies thank you!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 04:17:45 PM
I like the self heating food idea, stay away from hexamine or esbit whenever possible, just look up the gases it gives off when it burns.

One thing I would suggest is one of those largish, plastic stacking containers to put all the kit it.
1. cheaper than a bag and less likely to be used for a weekend away
2. If you breakdown on the motorway you get out of the car and go to the other side of the barrier and await recovery. If it's cold the box/container gives you a nice non-conductive seat to wait on.

The box also works where it's very hot as well, I've used a pelican case after the truck we were in decided to eat it's gearbox in the desert. No sand in my undies thank you!

:salute: Damn good thinking!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%