Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weird looking new Schrade

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Weird looking new Schrade
Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:16 AM
A few years back I wrote a bit on which slipjoint brands were made in the same factory. I think it was accepted at the time that rr, colt, indian head, buck and some others were making their Chinese made models at the same factory. Srm makes modern folders for many too. I buy from the maain ebay sellers. The last barlow i got had a shield that was not stamped properly so the writing on it was fainter than expected.
A few years ago i did a review comparing gec with RR etc. The GEC finish is not brilliant either.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:11:44 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 04:19:41 PM
Ebay. Search outu multi tool. Really good prices

Thanks Demel. I'll check it out :tu: Looks like a sweet tool
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline BASguy

Weird looking new Schrade
Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 09:56:02 PM
A few years back I wrote a bit on which slipjoint brands were made in the same factory. I think it was accepted at the time that rr, colt, indian head, buck and some others were making their Chinese made models at the same factory. Srm makes modern folders for many too. I buy from the maain ebay sellers. The last barlow i got had a shield that was not stamped properly so the writing on it was fainter than expected.
A few years ago i did a review comparing gec with RR etc. The GEC finish is not brilliant either.

OK, I guess things like a stamp issue on a $10 knife wouldn't really occur to me.  Perhaps there has been issues like that, but I guess I don't scrutinize them to that degree, buts that's just me.  I just compare them to others and in the same price range, and they have heavier and sharper blades, the scales look good and seem durable, and they have very good walk and talk.  That's pretty much all I notice or would even care about.  So far, they've been exceptionally good in those  areas.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 01:44:32 AM

OK, I guess things like a stamp issue on a $10 knife wouldn't really occur to me.  Perhaps there has been issues like that, but I guess I don't scrutinize them to that degree, buts that's just me.  I just compare them to others and in the same price range, and they have heavier and sharper blades, the scales look good and seem durable, and they have very good walk and talk.  That's pretty much all I notice or would even care about.  So far, they've been exceptionally good in those  areas.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

Similarly, I'm more focussed on the function (including ergonomics) than on the cosmetics. A blade that doesn't catch the liners is central enough for me. Tang stamps and other such features are largely irrelevant. Scale blemishes, gaps, and other issues also don't matter much providing integrity, function, and in hand feel are not compromised. A significantly uneven grind could affect control of a cut, so this would be something that may irk me more.

I appreciate that for many, the item may be "jewellery" as much (or even more so) than a working tool, but for the most part this does have a lesser relevance to me. My 25th Anniversary wave has a pretty poor polishing job on the outside which in so way affects function. The tools however do deploy a bit smoother than on a standard Wave, so it is therefore a nicer tool to use.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 07:26:29 AM
For most people a $10 knife, with shipping and tax becomes a $25 knife.

My main issue is that if someone pays the same as me, and gets a knife with no blade/liner rub, covers that are stuck on properly and without any filler and a properly sharpened blade, I should get the same product too, since I paid the same. A machine that stamps the shields should be able to do it well for all shields.

There is a recent thread in BF discussing the quality of Queen, especially the infamous grinds. As per usual you get people trying to justify sloppy QA by saying that people should be able to sharpen their own knives and not expect a sharpened knife out of the box, or that you will need to sharpen any knife at some point (so if you get a bicycle with worn tyres you should be OK, as you will need to change them at some point anyway). Other issues are also mentioned.

Now, one of my favourite knives is a Queen 51? which, though it needed a slight sharpening, is practically perfect. It was also very cheap, new.

It came from an era when queen was supposed to have even worse QA.  So, for the same money I got a perfect knife whilst someone else got one with serious problems, that they will have to live with.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 07:42:31 AM
Apparently Outu makes a version of that "piranha" tool that you see everywhere with no maker's mark on it. Has anybody tried theirs? Obviously I'd be shocked if it's great quality for $11.49, but perhaps it's serviceable?

piranha.jpg
* piranha.jpg (Filesize: 301.09 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 07:46:41 AM
There are a couple of threads on them . Some like them, some hate them..

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 07:52:29 AM
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:55:35 AM by dks »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 08:01:40 AM
Links. They come in 2 sizes, from what i remember.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,24809.msg451488.html#msg451488

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59199.0.html

Thanks dks. I found one of those, but didn't know about the alternate name. Unless I'm missing something, the Outu one looks identical to the Cattleman's.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 08:04:44 AM
As far as we know, they are just made by the same companies, with a different branding on them.  The warranty depends on the seller.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%