Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fate, and a tinker.

cbl51 · 25 · 3255

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Fate, and a tinker.
on: January 19, 2016, 04:27:02 PM
On the 30th of October, I left Maryland for good, probably never to return. Sick of the policitics, taxes, and east coast winters, we moved to Texas and don't plan to look back. My better halts family is from here, and my family is mostly all gone now, so no biggie. After pushing a big yellow ill running rented Penski truck down the road for two days, we arrived in Georgetown Texas on the 2d of November. Then followed the whirlwind of unloading not a rented storage unit and house shopping while living with my better halts sister at her place.

Within a few days after arrival, we hit a coffee place downtown in the courthouse square. A break that was needed. Finishing my coffee I chose to walk outside while the "girls" caught up. My better half, her sister Diane and other sister Romellie hadn't seen each other in a while, so I excused myself to go out and smoke my pipe in the square. Outside I saw the square was lined with shops, antique stores and such. Out of curiosity after a pipe, I browsed the antique and h junk shops. I felt a compulsion to go look in he stores even though I really didn't want anything.

There I saw it. In a tray with some old rusty and broken up pocket knives was a nice red Victorinox tinker. It looked as out of place as a thoroughbred race horse at a workout plow horse convention. Asking to see it, it was a bit dirty but unused. The factory edge was intact, the toothpick had no use, and the knife was vitally new except for a layer of dirt and pocket lint. There was a few scratches and dings from banging around with pocket stuff. The price tag said 9.95. Of course it went home with me.

After a cleaning with warm soap and water, and some oil in the joints, it went into my pocket. House hunting got done, moving into the house was done, and a great deal of work and unpacking was at hand. The little tinker was used for assembling things, cutting open boxes then braking down boxes, cutting open the end of speckling compound tube, opening caulking tube, and lots of other stuff. A sort of bonding took place.

It's now a new year, and since that day a few days after my arrival in Texas, the tinker has not left my pocket for more than a few occasions. On those occasions, I couldn't wait to get back home and put it back, feeling I had made a huge mistake that morning. Very strange. As if some finger of fate had led me to that tinker. I can only wonder, coincidence, or some stray Swiss mountain god getting me to rescue an abandoned SAK in a dirty tray of broken up rusty pocket knives?

Anyways, for the past two and a half months, the tinker has become my "one."  The only pocket knife I carry now, except for the ever present little classic in the leather keyring sheath.

In a very weird way, I now feel no need for any other knife. I still had a few others, like a nice old Remington peanut, and an Opinel that sits in the drawer. A few other SAK's. But this tinker has been weird. It may have become the "one."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:45:09 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Re: Fate, and a tinker.
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:38:39 PM
I've been carrying a Tinker for years. Never leave home without it and it's in my pocket at home. Great knife, great find.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:51:32 PM
I'll make two left field observations here

1) I'm an animist...I do believe,to some degree all things have a spirit...it would explain why some items have a stronger resonance with us than others
2) Items we've rescued or repaired or returned to duty tend to take on a part of us

Or I may just be talking nonsense :shrug:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 05:02:52 PM
Another great tale, thanks :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:07:50 PM
cbl51,
     That is a great story; one that I can relate to completely.
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 05:21:08 PM

1) I'm an animist...I do believe,to some degree all things have a spirit...it would explain why some items have a stronger resonance with us than others
2) Items we've rescued or repaired or returned to duty tend to take on a part of us

I look at things in an even "deeper" way. I look at all the past events that lead up to the present. Like if the girls didn't let you leave or if you hadn't felt like browsing the shops, if you had gone there before the SAK was in it and never returned...

It sometimes makes you look at something bad that happened to you but was the reason why something good happened later on (like getting fired and then find a better job that you wouldn't be looking for hadn't you not been fired first).

It's another way of saying "it's all good!"

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:22:05 PM
Great story and even though I switch my carry items every so often I know exactly how you feel. I have a Camper I felt the same about. I rarely carry it anymore, but every time I see it I get that feeling of seeing a old friend.

As a side not Georgetown Texas is nice. I have visited many times. What happened to Dukes BBQ? I just checked and it said it's closed permanently.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 05:26:21 PM
Great story  :tu:

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 05:28:10 PM
The Tinker is a very practical SAK and it suits very practical people.  I see you also have a Fenix E01 on your keychain for probably similar practical purposes.  They are both very utilitarian.  If I could only carry one standard SAK, the Tinker would be a strong consideration.

And great story too.  :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 05:38:31 PM
SAK's are like that. Carry one in your pocket and at some point, it's carrying you....though work, through play, through that odd loose screw you happen upon, through all your kid's (and grandkid's) gifts that need batteries, through lost zipper tabs and so on....

There is a reason the "companion for life" theme appears throughout Vic's advertising.

It's true. 

:climber:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 06:21:00 PM
I found a Tinker at a swap meet last year and carried it periodically. I gave it to a co worker who did a stint in the middle east in the military. He just came back and I didn't hear anything bad so I guess it survived its temporary assignment.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 06:39:59 PM
Thanks for the story, Carl!

Another great one :)
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 01:15:59 AM
Great story for a great knife!  :cheers:
Barry

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 01:16:44 AM

I do agree with you Kirk13.

1. Although I'm not an animist, I believe things have a spirit. Yesterday I just sold my car that have been with me for seven years. All good, the maintenance good, the battery fine. But it won't start yesterday. Not a single turn. So it went silent for about an hour. Finally I had to disconected the battery and then conected again. Wait for about five minutes and then it start. This kind of thing happen to me several times.

2. I just bought a used Small Tinker a week ago. Washed it, put a new pair of scales, sharpened it, give a drop of oil. And the Small Tinker now always with me everyday. I tend to missed it when I carry another SAK.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 01:57:07 AM

My thoughts for what they're worth....

1) I'm not an animist. I have two leather sheaths that have a Spirit, and a few bottles that contain spirits, but that's it  :D. I believe the Freudian aspect of transference, relating some aspect of the tool, whether in conscious awareness or not, to a previous item,person or event, seems a more apt way for me to relate to whether we engage with an item or not. Different senses can trigger this too, whether visual, tactile, or kinesthetic. Something in my dim and distant past gives me a negative vibe with engine turned finishes on items, but I don't know what the historic item, person, or event was :shrug: Bottom line is that I don't engage well with those items *** Maybe my aversion to the feel of 93mm alox is related to this somehow. Everything is in the mind, including a lot of stuff that tries to be helpful, but in reality just complicates matters  :P

2) I believe we develop a greater trust through familiarity with something we salvage or repair. If we have already determined something is worth saving, then invest the time and effort, and spend more time examining it as we check on our work, it's ticking more boxes in our subconscious which will lead to a greater attachment, or in some cases resentment.

*** one theory I have about this is that as a child I liked something (whatever it was) that had an engine turned finish, but a parent/grandparent threw it away, or took it from me because it was dangerous, or too precious, or did something else to overwrite the perception of that item at the time, and something has been carried forwards from that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:04:12 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 03:53:06 PM
I'm almost certain that we have all been there. I have a knife that I feel fairly naked without it being in the sheath on my side.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 11:18:50 PM
Always love your stories CBL - Keep them coming for ever

Looking forward to a few more 'New life in Texas' stories
Well done for making that massive decision and move - and all the very best for your new life  :D
I lived there for a short while (Galveston) and loved it.
There definitely is a different and unique feel to that State  :tu:

Very interesting tale of your new SAK companion.
The Tinker is nice - But I cannot imagine carrying a SAK w/o scissors
Although you have the Classic so you are covered for scissors.

Very, very interesting posts from everyone else about bonding, animism (a term I had never even heard of before) etc. Although I have always thought that the English cathedrals have a spirit/soul/presence, so why not other things?!

Also made me more than a little jealous - as, for all my love of SAKs - and ever growing collection - I have not developed that special bond with any individual SAK - I wish I had.  :(  If I had not had my first Huntsman stolen, I might have developed that special bond with that tool. Here's hoping that I find 'the one' anyway !!  :)

I am a passionate/obsessive mender and fixer - And definitely agree that a special bond of some sort, and feeling of pride - or at least, 'good job done'! - does develop with anything that you have fixed, restored, brought back to life, or improved!!

Thanks all for the interesting posts  :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:37:06 AM by Huntsman »

Offline Joev

• New User
Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 01:11:59 AM
Yup, have one in my pocket as I type. I'm making a transition of sorts myself from Tidewater, VA to a home the my wife and I purchased here in the Virginia Highlands. Crime and cost of living was the main culprit for our move. The Tinker, among other blades, axes, saws, and such are making the transition with us. The Tinker is a great knife and well employed in my days use.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 02:18:03 AM
Yup, have one in my pocket as I type. I'm making a transition of sorts myself from Tidewater, VA to a home the my wife and I purchased here in the Virginia Highlands. Crime and cost of living was the main culprit for our move. The Tinker, among other blades, axes, saws, and such are making the transition with us. The Tinker is a great knife and well employed in my days use.

Hi,and welcome to the forum :waving:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 02:37:36 AM
Keep 'em coming Carl!  I have my Tinker on me right now!
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 05:02:24 PM
Keep 'em coming Carl!  I have my Tinker on me right now!

Yeah, most of us do, too...

:whistle: :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 05:33:03 PM
Little late to the party.  Great tale of the tinker.  I also dig all the responses as I tend to believe much the same.  I cannot say I am bonded to any one tool either.  Like Huntsman I hope to connect at some point.  I have a hard time carrying a SAK without scissors as well.  A few years ago I would not have said that and find myself carrying a 58mm for scissor when I have my pioneer in pocket .

All the best in Texas. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 11:33:04 AM
Cool story. This may indeed be the one for you.  ;)

I am always on the lookout for second hand knives, multitools and zippos.

1 they are dirt cheap
2 they have a nice patina
3 they have may have a nice story to it.
4 recycling :D

Like my zippo. Bought it from an old man that edc't it for 25 years to light his cigars. He stopped smoking and sold it to me for 8,50 euros. Even though the hinge is worn out, the body is all dent up and the chrome has worn off. Even the metal spring that shuts the lid is not that great anymore. But the zippo still works great and is my edc for half a year now.

I like it so much because of the idea that it has been used for 25 years.
An almost unused zippo that is 25 years old goes for about 5 euros.
This one was 8,50 and all beat up, so in fact i paid the man 3.50 euros for putting a patina on it :D
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 190.19 KB)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:38:41 AM by anditsgone »

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 11:40:29 AM
Great story, hope the knife serves you well.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 06:11:23 AM
Great story, hope the knife serves you well.

It's been serving me now for almost three months of exclusive carry. But it's the weirdness of the whole thing that got me. For the past few years I've been on a constant downsizing, and was down to just a few knives. Over the past few years I've been increasingly getting away from the knife thing, and giving away almost all my non SAK knives. A small Remington peanut made by camillus is one of the few left, but it really has not been carried a lot. I'm not gal sure why my love of knives faded, but I find I really don't care anymore. Maybe age, maybe the whole cross country move to a new place and home. But I just haven;t felt the need for much knife aside from a modest SAK like my old Wenger SI or the trusty classic in it's keyring sheath.

But that morning while smoking my pipe outside the coffee shop and seeing the antique shop across the square, I felt compelled to go investigate it. Then I find the tinker in a tray full of old rusty broken up junk pocket knives.

Weird. weirder that it's now the one pocket knife I carry all the time. My few other pocket knives are now just sitting and may be given away soon. I'm an old social security retiree, so I know that I'm on the final approach, so that tinker may be the last knife I carry. A Victorinox should last many years with care. Maybe my grandson will get it.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%