Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TEOTWAWKI SAK

us Offline batosai117

TEOTWAWKI SAK
on: January 24, 2016, 08:13:09 AM
Okay everyone, I've searched around and have yet to bump into a TEOTWAWKI (I pronounce it Tee-ought-waki) thread involving a SAK. It seems pretty common on other forums that I frequent for a "The End Of The World As We Know It" thread to pop up.

So if this hypothetical situation occurred (use your imagination) and for some reason you could only have the SAK on you or your favorite from the house or BOB which would you hope it would be? How would you implement the tools on your SAK to maximize your ability to survive?

I won't stick everyone in a single situation because we're from all over the place. Some of you might be stuck in snow, some in the desert, and the rest of us in an evergreen type of setting. So if you have to go off grid in your neck of the woods with your SAK hopeful for about a two week extended car camping adventure which would it be and how would you use its tool set?

For me I'm really liking my new to me Safari Trooper, however I have a lot more time and practice with a Farmer so that would be my choice. The blade would be used for food prep and any other cutting task that I might need it for, the saw for processing small wood for fire starting / quick tent pegs / traps, the flathead / bottle opener would be my mini pry bar for light duties and gear maintenance, and the can opener would actually get used for canned goods that I may pack or pickup along the way.

That's my example so let's see what we get.

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: TEOTWAWKI SAK
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:21:07 AM
SwissChamp - no contest.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

za Offline ?eter

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 08:21:24 AM
My survival kit has a classic SD (for grooming, removing splinters etc) and a farmer (camping, bushcraft, food prep, fire prep) along with a fiery rod, snare wire, tinder, fishing hooks, foil, needle and thread etc. I would consider a 58mm with scissors and a bigger knife with saw to cover most environments, probably changing the colour to contrast best against the expected environment ('rescue orange' is the same colour as the soil in this particular part of South Africa so I prefer blue as a 'hi-vis' colour)

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:47:02 AM
I would consider a 58mm with scissors and a bigger knife with saw to cover most environments,

This sounds like the most common requirement for me too.

While the Farmer is one of my go to SAKS I would say the Soldier 08 is perfect for this role.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:49:58 AM
TEOTWAWKIAIFF?

OK; so things are getting ugly at the demise of civilisation as we know it... and we can only have the one SAK.

I'll take a Vic Rangergrip 58...! The gutting blade seems a particularly good idea.

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:06 AM
Mine would definately be a Swisstool with the 2 cutting blades!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 09:22:14 AM
A Mora Bushcraft Black on the belt, Farmer in the pocket, a big Wenger Ranger, a Spirit with a bit kit and a XLT or Swiss Champ in the daypack.

Remember, 1 is none and 2 is 1. Redundancy is key where there is no resupply but limited to one....the XLT would probably cover many situations from kindling to grooming to small mechanical repairs.

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 10:38:02 AM
I'd grab my Wenger RangerGrip 90:

Most useful configuration of Ranger ever,  why did they discontinue it?
R

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 12:06:50 PM
i know this is heresy given this is a sak thread . . . . but I'd want my wave, paired with a mora knife  :angel: :whistle:

great thread idea though - how about a general TEOTWAWKI m/t thread ?

edit - failing that my swisschamp :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:08:57 PM by eamo »
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 12:25:48 PM
If w're talking SAK's that we already own, I'd take my Spirit - not my favourite, but the pliers are useful and there's a lot of overlap with my usual EDC. If we could take any model though, I'd echo AndyTieDie and take a Rangergrip 90. Looks well handy. Or SAKGizzles XLT.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 01:38:13 PM
Trailmaster for general use and outings, and Trail Guide as fireside companion.

Of course I would have to have my Wenger Clippers along, because who wants to face the apocalypse with untidy nails?  :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 03:20:11 PM
I'd grab my Wenger RangerGrip 90:

(Image removed from quote.)

Most useful configuration of Ranger ever,  why did they discontinue it?

+1!!!!  The 90 was the Ranger in mind when I posted as well.   :2tu:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:22:07 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 03:24:40 PM
About three weeks ago, I almost encountered such a situation. House on fire, we only managed to drag an old lady out of her smoke-filled flat, the rest of our house including our flat only a couple of minutes and some quite thin walls away from destruction.
The SAK I had and which'd have remained was my EDC, a Nomad.
Not a bad choice, but considering my collection, quite sad.
Thanks to the firefighters (whom we later awarded with 10 pounds of the best sweets we could get) everything went ok and only slightly smokey ;-)

Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 03:49:23 PM
Tom, sorry to hear about such an event.  Glad no life was lost and while we can say things can be replaced it still suck to loose personal effects.

As to the question, I guess I'd have to choose me Swisstoool if I can consider it a SAK  :think: otherwise it's be my Swisschamp.  I'd love to get my hands on a Workchamp which would then be my pick. 
Esse Quam Videri

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 04:39:39 PM
Thanks Aloha!
We were incredibly lucky and, despite a bit of 'aroma', nothing (!) happened to our flat. Maybe it's time to move into an own house though ;-)
http://www.rosenheim24.de/bilder/2016/01/05/6008865/2069479396-541584_1_reisner_wohnhausbrand20roseiheim20018-Q76a.jpg
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 04:44:50 PM
I carry two SAK's most the time so for me 08 Soldier and Swisschamp. I know you said one but 90 present of the time I have two SAK's on me.
IMG_20150811_081635.jpg
* IMG_20150811_081635.jpg (Filesize: 127.45 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline batosai117

TEOTWAWKI SAK
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 05:42:55 PM
Great stuff everyone. It's interesting to see what we all would take if it came down to the nitty gritty. I carry two SAK's daily as well: the Deluxe Tinker on a Tec accessories clip and my Safari Trooper in my front pocket. The deluxe tinker would be great for maintaining items and other tools whereas the trooper would be the "survival" knife with its more outdoors oriented tool set.

I like the idea of changing up the colors too. You wouldn't want the ultimate SAK just to drop it and never find it again.

Since I'm in south Texas I'm surrounded by mesquite wood, cactus, and fishing spots (fresh and salt water). Being able to process wood and mantain fishing gear would be essential for me.

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:44:55 PM by batosai117 »
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 05:50:24 PM
Swisschamp all the way...

... and a good chainsaw with some additional fuel (why should I turtore myself by making firewood and camp-making with an itty-bitty SAK-saw  ??? )

You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 12:43:06 AM
When this question has been asked in the past, I answered Rangergrip 90

I have since sold that knife (TEOTWAWKI didn't happen  :P)

Today's answer: If the world AS WE KNOW IT ends, that means the world AS WE DON'T KNOW IT starts. So by definition, we haven't got the foggiest clue what the challenges will be, or what we'll need. On that basis, I'm going to answer Spirit X and CT41.

If it turns out that what I really need is a pharmaceutical spatula, fish tickler, and altimeter, then the world will have become too surreal for my mind to cope with, and tools won't help me in the slightest.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 01:24:27 AM
Workchamp.

....and a Spirit for backup.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 06:36:57 AM
Ok everyone say it with me.

Workchamp.

My first reaction was to pick this beauty.

Then I thought that while the Swisschamp is perfect for this kind of situation the Workchamp packs pretty much the same tools with the added bonus of a larger locking main blade.

You never know when you might need to shank a fool!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 06:56:57 AM
Since there's a Vic Nomad in the survival kit in the trunk, that's probably what I'd end up with by default.

IMG_4978.JPG
* IMG_4978.JPG (Filesize: 132.74 KB)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 07:01:43 AM
Since there's a Vic Nomad in the survival kit in the trunk, that's probably what I'd end up with by default.

Why a Nomad in the kit CS?

Seems like something with a saw and phillips would be better. Of course if the world is ending a couple bottles of wine wouldn't hurt.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 07:09:45 AM

Seems like something with a saw and phillips would be better. Of course if the world is ending a couple bottles of wine wouldn't hurt.

Partly because I happened to have a spare one at the time I was putting together the kit. Also have a wire saw in the kit, and a folding saw and hatchet in the tool kit in the trunk. Also a variety of other tools. Also bottled water, granola bars, wool blankets, and florescent orange panels. If I'm caught in a snow drift in the middle of a blizzard I want to be found.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:11:25 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 07:20:03 AM
Out of the saks I have, I would have to pick the Hercules.  If I could pick a couple, then it would be my Hercules and my Swisschamp.

Now if could add an item or two to that, then I would add my Surge and a fixed blade like either the my Fiddleback Bushwacker or my Cudeman.  :)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:21:04 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 07:25:55 AM

Partly because I happened to have a spare one at the time I was putting together the kit. Also have a wire saw in the kit, and a folding saw and hatchet in the tool kit in the trunk. Also a variety of other tools. Also bottled water, granola bars, wool blankets, and florescent orange panels. If I'm caught in a snow drift in the middle of a blizzard I want to be found.

A Nomad is a great SAK in it's own right!  :tu: Sounds like a nice kit Karl!   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:01 AM

Good point about having other saws.

I have a saw in my kits but am also a firm believer in the rule of two is one and one is none.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:32 PM
For the last 15 years or so my camping SAK has been a Trailmaster/Trekker. I always have others but keep that as the fallback in my pack. Don't see why the Soldier 08 is at least equal to it with an OHO blade; hence my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 03:09:47 PM
If we're talking about the SAK I have with me when the SHTF then I get a alox Rambler and a Pioneer and if I have my bag there's also a Handyman (with nylon scales added) and a Spirit (two knife blades flavour). Alternatively, a 91mm Ranger (again with nylon scaled added) I carry at home. What if I'm not wearing any clothes when SHTF?  :o   :ahhh

Now, if we're talking about TEOTWAWKI SAKs, I don't know... Farmer, Workchamp, Soldier 2008, Spirit, Huntsman (w/nylon scales), they all are valid options in my mind. Ideally I would want all of them with me.

Were I obliged to pick just one, I think I'd be torn between the Farmer and Huntsman (w/nylon scales) models, the Spirit being eliminated because it's a muti-tool (a SAK is a multi-tool, a multi-tool is not a SAK, for me), the Soldier 2008 being eliminated because it would be a major pain to sharpen once dull and the Workchamp being eliminated because I fear the slide-lock could be compromised by dirt or falls on hard surfaces. Please don't make me choose right now, I've lost enough sleep in my life thinking about these things...

Question: Can you tell I like nylon scales? :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:11:28 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline Mattexian

Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 12:35:18 AM
If I was gonna grab one SAK as my TEOTWAWKI one, it'd likely be my Space Shuttle model,  since I think it has most of the tools I'd want and need for maintaining other gear, making some campcraft, and improvising repairs.  That said, I've got an OH  Trekker/Soldier in my go-bags.

I kinda had some time to think about this a few months ago,  when I found myself going straight from an emergency clinic to the hospital;  do not pass go, do not collect anything not already in your pockets. I'd had a cough that persisted despite treatment for bronchitis,  so the visit to the ER clinic found a 10x5cm mass in my chest,  turned out I had Hodgkins lymphoma, stage 2 (after extensive testing, a week later).  Having chemo for it now, but that first night heading straight to the hospital,  I was a little frantic about wanting my Space Shuttle SAK,  as I'd swapped it out a few days before with the OH Soldier,  and realized if I was gonna be stuck in my own room for an undetermined time, I'd want things like the scissors for trimming my fingernails  (and the rest of the tools, for maybe dreaming of sneaking out!).

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21