Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A way around 5 point security Torx? This might work.

Anthony · 15 · 12727

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
A way around 5 point security Torx? This might work.
on: September 01, 2008, 07:07:30 PM
So I was at my desk looking over an old Wave wondering what I could do to move those 5 point bolts...when I realized I might be able to take those 5 point bolts and make them something else...If I took a Dremel and created a slot for a flat driver across the head of the bolt I'd be able to loosen them with a regular flathead!

The downside for you collectors would be a cut along each bolt head of the tool, but I think it can work for those of us who just want to tighten/loosen up the tool or take it apart for cleaning.

And I've also been thinking of carefully Dremeling out the center security posts on the bolts of my Surge thus making them regular ol' Torx bolts; I still haven't modded mine with the dedicated Phillips Spoonrobot sent me months ago :-[
[

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Re: A way around 5 point security Torx? This might work.
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:02:02 AM
I have been looking for a way to mod my side clip so i can do maintenance on it and havent found a way yet. This sounds like the way to go. I prefer to have a phillips head or a torx like a T10. But so far everyone I have went they havent been able to help me.

I would like to change over one of my PST's as well any suggestions?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:11:02 AM
You can:

Find the requisite bit kit. There are a few Chinese bit sets that include the 5-lobe bits. Apparently you can get this without any verification. I don't have one myself but there are a few people over at Bladeforums that have them and know where to get them. Sorry I can't hook you up with a link, BF doesn't allow searching for non-members.

#2: Very carefully, with the maximum preparation, use a flathead driver to interact with the fasteners. I've found the small flathead on the Pulse to work perfectly in this role. It takes a lot of patience to do this without snapping the center post. But if you heat it right it can be done.

#3: Snap off the center posts with a flathead and then use a proper sized flathead to engage two of the lobes to unscrew. Snapping off the center posts is very easy and this is generally the easiest way I've found to get into the 5-lobe models. But it does require permanent, if slight, alteration of the tool.

#4: Sell/trade your Surge for a more modern version which features the 6-lobe Torx TR fasteners.

And I've also been thinking of carefully  Dremeling out the center security posts on the bolts of my Surge thus making them regular ol' Torx bolts; I still haven't modded mine with the dedicated Phillips Spoonrobot sent me months ago

Wait, if your Surge is 5-lobe+center pin; wouldn't snapping the center post just make them 5-lobe, which isn't any easier to find than the Torx+? Regular Torx is 6-lobe.

I guess you could always get in touch with Tom and see if he'll lend you his set for a few days. Good luck!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:38:53 AM by Spoonrobot »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:00:48 AM
I was referring to two seperate tools in my first post; an old Wave with the 5 point Torx, and a Surge with the 6 point Torx.

I might try snapping off the posts on my Surge...I already tried to flatten a post with a hammer and punch so I could fit a standard 6 point Torx in there but it didn't work.  I also tried to hammer the standard Torx bit to flatten the post somewhat but no go.

[

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:13:39 AM
Spoon I have a question, Is there a tool specifically for the leatherman surge disassembly, my surge is a little lose so I bought 2 6 point torx. but the center of the torx on the surge has a metal sticking out in the middle, wonder whats that for. and could I just grind it away?
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:33:06 AM
I might try snapping off the posts on my Surge...I already tried to flatten a post with a hammer and punch so I could fit a standard 6 point Torx in there but it didn't work.  I also tried to hammer the standard Torx bit to flatten the post somewhat but no go.

Ah.

The 6-lobe Torx+ drivers are easy to find. No need to modify the tool, check your local Automotive store for the proper tools to disassemble, I forget the size but they should sell a set of L-shaped wrenches down to T6 that has the size you need for @$10.

Spoon I have a question, Is there a tool specifically for the leatherman surge disassembly, my surge is a little lose so I bought 2 6 point torx. but the center of the torx on the surge has a metal sticking out in the middle, wonder whats that for. and could I just grind it away?

That's the Security or Tamper-Resistant post. No need to grind it away, just find the right drivers. The 6-point Torx TR drivers are easy to find. It's the 5-lobe ones that are a controlled item.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

There is also a tamper resistant version of TORX PLUS, having five lobes and solid post in the center. Drivers for the tamper-resistant version are tightly controlled by Camcar, and are sold only to OEMs (along with the fasteners), or OEM-authorized repair facilities.

Here's more clarification:

5-lobe TORX PLUS® Tamper-Resistant

I think the 6-lobe is just called Torx Tamper Resistant.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:54:23 AM by Spoonrobot »

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:05:25 PM
Duckman don't grind it away , you need the tamper proof bit kit like mine
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/f2aa9c48.jpg[/img]]
I am sure you can pick them up from ebay. I got my kit for $30 from a large hardware store.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/bdf818e9.jpg[/img]]
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/474a7808.jpg[/img]]
I used this bit to tighten my Surge. Unfortunately the kit does not have the 5 point bit to work on Sideclips & early Waves . Some members ,I have read have gotten hold of the 5 point bit but there is some copyright/restriction in buying them  :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:58:27 PM
Quite a few sets on ebay UK, not that bad prices either :)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=5+point+torx
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline knucklebuster

Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:49:50 PM
I dont know if is sacreligious or not to mention this place but in the US you can find them here http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=security+bit+set&Submit=Go

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 02:06:07 AM
I checked these out at a local Harbor freight and did not see any of the 5 point like for the side clip.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:08:14 AM
Thanks spoon and multimat, its just som hard to find one here guess have to order on line. Do I need to buy 2 set so I can loosen the 6 lobe torx.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:08:30 AM
Does anyone know of where I can find replacement screws for the PST? I am looking to change them over to possibly a torx or phillips if possible. I am wanting to mod one of them for what better suits my EDC.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:11:01 AM
duckman, I would make sure to order 2. Sometimes you can get away with one but there's no reason to chance it.

RaptorMan, there was a poster here who replaced the knurled screws on his SuperTool with either Torx or Allen fasteners. I couldn't find the thread but here's where I think he got parts from:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=60_83

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 02:12:02 AM
Thanks again spoonbot.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 02:55:59 AM
Thanks Spoonrobot. I just ordered a set for my PST. Took the measurements and it appears they will fit so I will snap some shots of how it looks before and after.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%