Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Inexpensive, multi level or programmable light?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Inexpensive, multi level or programmable light?
on: September 01, 2008, 02:56:17 AM
Does such a thing exist?  I have recently been carrying a couple of lights- a bright Fenix model, and my not as bright Gerber Infinity Ultra.  I like a bright light for most things, but the Infinity is better at work when I am checking ID's- a bright light will burn out my retinas when doing that!

So, I'm thinking about getting a multi level or programmable light, but I really don't want to spend much money.  I like metal bodies and maybe a pocket clip, and a single cell would be nice.  I'd also prefer a AA, but I could suffer with a CR123 if necessary.

Any thoughts?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Inexpensive, multi level or programmable light?
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:01:26 AM
Hmm, I would try and get the Fenix L1D. It will last for 25 hours using the general 12 lumen mode.. I really like the L1D.. But, to be honest- I have a huge collection of Surefire, Fenix, Inova and high end Streamlight flashlights and I like the Streamlight Stylus Pro the best.. I don't know why, but I love the Stylus Pro.. It is such a nice light! It is inexpensive and it has a great output for a pen light..
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:08:22 AM
I have the L1P and I really like it- the L1D seems like a good choice.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 03:11:46 AM
Take a look at nitecore D10/EX10, it's essentially a programmable single level light. I almost got EX10 but realized I already have too many lights.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 03:28:19 AM
Interesting- but what exactly is a piston switch?

Def

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 03:52:15 AM
Def, I gladly suggest you get a Fenix L1D Q5. It has 6 modes and runs on single AA cell. For me it's size is just right for EDC.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:55:13 AM
Def-I have had good luck with deal extreme (dealextreme.com).  They have loads of cheap flashlights, I bought a couple and they work just fine.  Also a good source of cheap memory cards and other electronics. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:27:24 AM
I'll check that out, but I do try to keep most of my purchases to the site sponsors if I can... they are good to us, I like to be good back!  :D

Def

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:38:27 AM
Some of use don't have enough money to be good or play nice! :ahhh
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:51:52 AM
Interesting- but what exactly is a piston switch?

Def

It's an cylinder within the flashlight tube, battery goes in the cyliner. You push the cylinder so the whole thing include battery moves up to touch the contact ring in head. So that's where the connection is made instead of in the tail switch like other lights. Claimed benefits you can read in the d10 description, but personally I don't believe it.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 01:22:50 PM
Def, I gladly suggest you get a Fenix L1D Q5. It has 6 modes and runs on single AA cell. For me it's size is just right for EDC.

I'm with Edi, Def! Try the L1D.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:35:39 PM

+1 on that  correct me if I am wrong  but I believe you can even get a red filter which I find easier on the eyes 

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:39:45 PM

+1 on that  correct me if I am wrong  but I believe you can even get a red filter which I find easier on the eyes 

You are right JocK. You can also get a white diffuser.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 10:01:31 PM
I'm not sure I like the piston thing- I like an actual switch that I can use to turn something on and off.  A clickie tail switch is preferable.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 10:13:06 PM
Well some people love it some don't, I'm indifferent but then again I don't have one. Think it as a soft clickie that only send a signal to the processor, like those on a TV remote, or novatac lights.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 01:46:50 PM
I highly recommend the NiteCore SmartPD D10.  I don't carry my L1D anymore due to this light, for durability and convenience reasons.  The piston switch is MUCH more durable than the clickies that Fenix uses, and the aluminum is hard 7075 instead of the soft 6061 Fenix uses. 

Plus, there are no useless "flash" modes like strobe or SOS.

Def, the piston switch works just like a tail "clickie", but is nearly as durable as a twist-type switch like your P1D.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:48:28 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 03:20:02 PM
I'm going to try to make some quick videos for you to show you the construction and operation of the D10.  4Sevens has a video on Youtube for it, but I'd rather not link to it because I think his description is overly complicated.  It is difficult to explain the UI (user interface) with text but a video--if kept simple--should explain it well.

Out of the 30-40 lights I have, the NiteCore D10 and the Novatac 120P are the only lights that I EDC.  That is saying something, as the Novatac is a $180 light.  I've been EDCing the NiteCore now for about 6 weeks, and I don't believe there is a better 1xAA light available for under $100.  It is extremely versatile, and will replace your Gerber and Fenix P1D combo.  It is as bright as the P1D, will adjust to even dimmer levels than the Gerber, or to any point in between.

What type of batteries do you plan to use, Def?
- Terry

Offline cyberspyder

• ~007 Goodness~
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 11:03:14 PM
+1 on the D10, or it's CR123A brethren...the EX10. Can be had for under $60...not common to see them under $50 on various sites...great lights! Durable and bright as hell.

Brendan
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 01:19:28 AM
I prefer AA lights as I keep those around by the bucketload.  My cameras, mice and TV remotes all use AA batteries and I have a stockpile of rechargeables and alkalines to feed them, so that would be optimum.  For a good light, I would be willing to go to the CR123's if necessary.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 03:21:51 AM
There's no reason to go to CR123 if you have plenty of rechargeables and use the light frequently.  It would benefit you, financially, to stay with rechargeable NiMH.

My goal is to have those videos of the D10 done by Friday evening.  I think you might find that it's the ideal light for your uses.
- Terry

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 03:29:42 AM
Wait. Why are you all mentioning Fenix? Wasn't this supposed to be inexpensive? :oops:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 03:46:22 AM
Wait. Why are you all mentioning Fenix? Wasn't this supposed to be inexpensive? :oops:

What do you consider inexpensive?
- Terry

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:00 AM

What do you consider inexpensive?

Probably below $40. XD
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 04:24:10 AM
Add $10 you can get photon proton pro shipped to your door, which I think is a very good light.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 04:29:18 AM
What does Def consider inexpensive?  I suppose that's the $.99 question.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 04:27:12 PM
$.99 is about the budget I had in mind... :P

Seriously, the cheaper the better, but I don't mind paying a little extra money for something good.  I just don't want to get any suggestions for a three hundred dollar light that is so powerful no one can measure it because the curvature of the earth is too great a factor.

Def

Offline Mike D

Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 02:09:13 AM
Got to go with the guys suggesting the Nitecore's here. The smart PD switch is pure genius and the UI is very easy to figure out.

I used to edc an Ex10 till I received a Novatac 120p the other day, this light has the most beautiful beam I have ever seen, and is perfect for my needs, I absolutely love it.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 03:29:36 AM
Got to go with the guys suggesting the Nitecore's here. The smart PD switch is pure genius and the UI is very easy to figure out.

I used to edc an Ex10 till I received a Novatac 120p the other day, this light has the most beautiful beam I have ever seen, and is perfect for my needs, I absolutely love it.

I don't blame you there.  IMO, you can't do better than a 120P if you're using CR123.  Is that beam awesome, or what?!  And UI's don't get any better than that.

The D10 is tops in single AA, though, and very close to the 120P in performance and durability.  It's pretty unbelievable for $60 (1/3 the price of a new 120P  :o).
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 11:26:38 PM
Does such a thing exist?
So, I'm thinking about getting a multi level or programmable light, but I really don't want to spend much money.
Any thoughts?

Def,

If you really want to spend as little as possible to get a useful two-level light, consider the Streamlight Tasklight 2AA available at Brightguy for $17.50:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Task-Light_2AA_Flashlight.php

I've had one for over 2 years and it's my most used light around the house.  This is a practical utility light, not a light to show off and impress people with how bright it is.

This light uses an optic (lens system) to produce a wide spot beam, rather than a hotspot surrounded by a spillbeam like most reflector systems.  I find it quite usable for tasks and decent for outdoors use - my 2AA Tasklight still gets used for walking and night hikes.

Its 4 lumen Low is excellent for reading or other close up tasks, and its 25 lumen High will reach out and light things up at 50 to 75 feet (effective range depends on ambient lighting.)

A well built light with a thicker aluminum body than the 2AA Mags and better knurling for a secure grip.  A tough light - mine has been dropped many times onto cement without a flicker.  Sealed head and O-ring on the tailcap make for good water resistance.

The switch is excellent and switching levels is easy.  Also has a strobe function - which stays completely out of the way until you need it.

A shorter, stubbier 3AAA version is availble, and is also a very decent light:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Task-Light_3AAA_Flashlight.php

Both versions sip gently from their batteries:
-2AA High over 9 hours
-2AA Low over 50 hours
-3AAA High of 5 hours
-3AAA Low over 40 hours

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 12:23:30 AM
Interesting- I have a couple of Streamlight Twin Task lights that I like, except I hate the alternating switch setup.  If it weren't for the crappy way it is set up, I'd be happy with the 2xCR123 one that I have.

On the Twin Task lights, the switch is set up so it alternates every time it is turned on- LED, off, Krypton, off, LED, off, Krypton, off and so on.  Of course, unless you remember what mode you used last time, you have no idea whether you are going to get the LED or the Krypton bulb.  This is really frustrating, especially since most of the time I want to used the LED lamps, which means I have to use the LED, shut it off, put it away, then when I want to use it again (if I remember the last time I used it) I have to turn on the Krypton bulb, then turn it off, then turn on the LED.

If that's the way the Task Light works, I appreciate the suggestion, but no thanks!

Streamlight makes a good quality product, and I've always liked them, I just don't know what the heck they were thinking when they made the Twin Task series.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%