Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone else is a "BALLISTOL H1" fan?

it Offline Tommy07

Anyone else is a "BALLISTOL H1" fan?
on: February 12, 2016, 09:24:12 AM
I use most of my knives for food preparation and my favorite lubricant is Ballistol, not the regular one, the H1 food grade. My uncles use reg ballistol for shotguns and stinks like s****.  i wouldnt dress my salad with Ballistol h1 anyway, but at least it is odorless and is the best lubricant I've ever used. power to ballistol  :cheers: :D

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:25:19 AM by Tommy07 »

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone else is a "BALLISTOL H1" fan?
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:44 PM
I don't recall ever seeing this brand before

it Offline Tommy07

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 01:21:24 PM
I don't recall ever seeing this brand before

oh really.. in italy everyone uses ballistol. pretty popular

us Offline Joe58

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
I use and like Ballistol on about everything. Works very well.

I don't use my pocket knives on food stuffs in the kitchen, so I've not tried the H1 version. And should I cut up an apple or whatever while out of the house, any tiny amount of residue on my knife blade isn't of consequence as standard Ballistol is non-toxic anyway. Lots of guys use mineral oil though to be completely safe around food. It's something I've never worried about. I think the junk that's in your food now days is more hazardous to you than any minuscule oil on your knife blade. Unless your drinking the stuff or something.

🇨🇭

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 03:50:43 PM
Haven't tried the stuff, only the “usual one” and the one for skin. Guess I'll pick up H1 and test it the next time I can buy Ballistol. (Not available around these parts, have to order it.)

it Offline Tommy07

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:06 PM
Haven't tried the stuff, only the “usual one” and the one for skin. Guess I'll pick up H1 and test it the next time I can buy Ballistol. (Not available around these parts, have to order it.)

Amazon Germany is your friend  ;)

http://www.amazon.de/Ballistol-%C3%96lflasche-H1-%C3%96l-25319/dp/B00H7ZERW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455290267&sr=8-2&keywords=ballistol+h1

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 05:18:26 PM
Anything food grade is just going to be Mineral oil in an expensive small bottle   :D

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 07:08:26 PM
Hm... I have seen this in hardware stores here around.

But honestly... IF (!!) I use Ballistol, I use the regular one. I love its smell. Maybe a little strange, but I really love the smell  :pommel:

I know I may be in the minority.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 09:25:36 PM
@Andi: I once got to know a hunter who used Ballistol as a lotion for his hands.
You always knew when he'd been in the shop.
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 09:32:49 PM
Ballistol is great for everything. I also use it for small scratches on the skin. It might burn a little but it heals rather fast. But I never used it on knives with brass liners, brass-pins or whatsoever. It is a gun oil, made to remove brass rests of the catrigde inside the barrel. So it is rather aggressive on any kind of brass, copper etc. It will attack it. Do not use this stuff on things like that. I also doubt it is good for nickel silver as might cause coloration.

I use for many kinds of mechanic. It is foodproof. I know a guy - if he has pain in the stomache due to wrong food, one spoon of Ballistol and he feels alright - after a nap on the couch.

For all of my knives I use regular sewing-machine-oil aka mineral-oil. About 0.75 € per 100 ml in every hardware store. I haven´t used the oil Tommy is writing about, rather expensive stuff.
I just wanted to share my own experiences with the regular Ballistol stuff. It is one of the best out there. And the smell is a great addition to this stuff. :D
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:04:12 PM
... Ballistol is still my choice for my carbon-steel tools (esp. my good old plane), my straight razor's blades, low-tech folders like my Svörd Peasant ... and old and brittle leather.
So, from time to time and much to the disappointment of my wife, I also wear eau de Ballistol ;-).

But since many of the old knives from local flea markets suffered from the greenish corrosion which I ascribed to the copper-corroding residue of Ballistol, I'm reluctant to use it on them again, even though Joe58 gave some nice counter-indication here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64367.msg1222218.html#msg1222218
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69