Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Putting an awl in a Blast.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Putting an awl in a Blast.
on: September 01, 2008, 12:38:12 AM
I've been thinking a lot about the possibility of putting an awl in a Blast. Considering all the tools it contains, and the ones I use, the only one I'd be willing to sacrifice is the can opener/bottle opener/wire stripper. Now I've seen this modded into an awl, but I'd like to take the other route and actually put an awl in there. Of the past and current leatherman models, which ones have an awl that could potentially fit into a Blast? Maybe the one from the Core or the Surge? Or maybe an older on from a PST or the like, which might be easier to find?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Putting an awl in a Blast.
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:45:17 AM
I would try a SOG awl because it is thinner than the Core/SURGE's and it has a locking notch..
B

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:50:18 AM
those notces arent in same place/distance from pinhole,so youll have to  file them anyway,but yes,sogs implements are quite easy to adapt in about any mt :D

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 01:39:45 AM
My thought was to take out the can/bottle opener and put in an awl, so the SOG one would work best, you think?

Also I realized this is a "mod" so it will probably get moved. oops.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:35:04 AM
Well @ least it will get seen in 2 forums now the LM and the Modder forum so you are possibly gonna get more feedback like this :D

I really can't help you though cause I don't know about many different tools that have the awl except for the older LM and my Swisstool :P

I would go with what has already been said though the SOG seems to be the best choice so far ;) :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:46:01 AM
I have no recommendations as such (beyond do it to the eyeglass screwdriver then send it to me), just here to prod you along the way and increase the feedback, possibly encourage some pics while I'm here?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:12:23 PM
I've been thinking a lot about the possibility of putting an awl in a Blast. Considering all the tools it contains, and the ones I use, the only one I'd be willing to sacrifice is the can opener/bottle opener/wire stripper. Now I've seen this modded into an awl, but I'd like to take the other route and actually put an awl in there. Of the past and current leatherman models, which ones have an awl that could potentially fit into a Blast? Maybe the one from the Core or the Surge? Or maybe an older on from a PST or the like, which might be easier to find?

I'm not within 20 miles of a Blast at the moment....does the can opener/bottle opener/wire stripper cause any restriction to the size awl you can replace it with? Because the Core awl would be great, but it is rather large. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 06:41:57 PM

I'm not within 20 miles of a Blast at the moment....does the can opener/bottle opener/wire stripper cause any restriction to the size awl you can replace it with? Because the Core awl would be great, but it is rather large. :-\

The Core awl would be great in the can opener slot but I think that it may be a bit to long and be in the way of the plier head :-\ Of course that may be the case with most of the awls mentioned :(

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 06:46:49 PM
Our good friend WH867 bought a Blast on eBay that has an awl.. LINK- http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5109.msg85302.html#msg85302
B

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 09:49:00 PM
Well the CORE awl is ideal, but it might be too long. The can opener on the Blast JUST fits perfectly in the space left for it.

What about an awl from the PST?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:52:09 AM
I would say that may be a better choice in terms of size anyway it may also let the plier head pass as well :think: Guess you might just have to try it to see if it works ::) :D

Also I would have a look @ the link LM123 put up :D Shows how 1 can grind tools to fit your needs

:think: Why not turn the med sized screwdriver into an awl seems to be the perfect size to be made into 1

of course that may be the driver you use the most :pok: Just a thought though ;) :D

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 01:24:46 AM
Yea thats why I'm looking at the can opener. I use the flat heads a lot, in fact I broke the medium head from use. I considered the ground down opener, but I'd rather have a "proper" awl.

So, considering the PST awl, should the notch line up fine with the Blast lock?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%