Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix E25UE

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Fenix E25UE
on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:00 PM
I wanted a pair of really good flashlights for each of the cars.  After looking over prices and specs, I choose the Fenix E25UE.  For the most part, they kicked around in the glove box of the cars.  Then my daughter went on an extended weekend, and I got stuck walking the dog.  So, out comes the flashlight.

ECO    5 LUMENS 100 HRS
LOW  50 LUMENS  16 HRS 30 MIN
MID 160 LUMENS    5 HRS   5 MIN
HI    350 LUMENS    2 HRS 15 MIN
TURBO 1000 LUMENS 50 MIN*

* Turbo only with Li-ion batteries, and reduces to 350 Lumens after just a minute or two of use.

Uses 2 AA size batteries: Alkaline, 1.5V Lithium, Ni-MH or 14500 Li-ion.  So plenty of options there.

I found it to have good ergonomics, with the exception of the power button.  The button (really two) is in a good position for your thumb, but it's hard to find it.  It needs to be raised or otherwise stand out so you can easily find it.

The light has a memory (last used setting) and cycles thru the 5 light levels in order (unlike an E05 MED-LOW-HI). It has a separate button for the strobe function (strobe/SOS).

It has a hot spot that gives it good distance, with a nice spill area.  The color is slightly blueish on the lowest setting, but white otherwise. 

I suspect that the ECO setting is putting out more than 5 Lumens.  I used that most of the time when walking the dog at night, and it was quite useful.

At the other extreme, the 1000 Lumens is almost painful to use unless you're outside.  It's hard for me to imagine ever needing any more light than that.

Like most of the high end LED lights, it's only available in black.  You'll notice the yellow tape on both of mine so I can find them in the dark.

Pro:
Lots of useful light
Plenty of battery options
Memory function

Cons:
Only available in black
Hard to locate power button
1000 Lumen short lived, only with 14500 batteries
Fenix1.jpg
* Fenix1.jpg (Filesize: 44.63 KB)
Fenix2.jpg
* Fenix2.jpg (Filesize: 39.99 KB)
- Steve

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Fenix E25UE
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 08:19:23 AM
Nice write up, thank you.   :cheers:

um Offline adrboy

• Shh! My Multitool senses are tingling!
Re: Fenix E25UE
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:24:23 AM
I wanted a pair of really good flashlights for each of the cars.  After looking over prices and specs, I choose the Fenix E25UE.  For the most part, they kicked around in the glove box of the cars.  Then my daughter went on an extended weekend, and I got stuck walking the dog.  So, out comes the flashlight.

ECO    5 LUMENS 100 HRS
LOW  50 LUMENS  16 HRS 30 MIN
MID 160 LUMENS    5 HRS   5 MIN
HI    350 LUMENS    2 HRS 15 MIN
TURBO 1000 LUMENS 50 MIN*

* Turbo only with Li-ion batteries, and reduces to 350 Lumens after just a minute or two of use.

Uses 2 AA size batteries: Alkaline, 1.5V Lithium, Ni-MH or 14500 Li-ion.  So plenty of options there.

I found it to have good ergonomics, with the exception of the power button.  The button (really two) is in a good position for your thumb, but it's hard to find it.  It needs to be raised or otherwise stand out so you can easily find it.

The light has a memory (last used setting) and cycles thru the 5 light levels in order (unlike an E05 MED-LOW-HI). It has a separate button for the strobe function (strobe/SOS).

It has a hot spot that gives it good distance, with a nice spill area.  The color is slightly blueish on the lowest setting, but white otherwise. 

I suspect that the ECO setting is putting out more than 5 Lumens.  I used that most of the time when walking the dog at night, and it was quite useful.

At the other extreme, the 1000 Lumens is almost painful to use unless you're outside.  It's hard for me to imagine ever needing any more light than that.

Like most of the high end LED lights, it's only available in black.  You'll notice the yellow tape on both of mine so I can find them in the dark.

Pro:
Lots of useful light
Plenty of battery options
Memory function

Cons:
Only available in black
Hard to locate power button
1000 Lumen short lived, only with 14500 batteries
love your avatar I watched the whole show

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!