Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"US Army" 93 Alox Knockoff

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
"US Army" 93 Alox Knockoff
on: March 02, 2016, 10:15:36 PM
I know, it´s not a swiss knife, but I wanted to show you Alox-Bug bitten folks this thing.

I found it rather cheap and HAD to have it to show it off here. It´s a Knockoff of the trusted Soldier and carries "US Army" cast into the scales.

I cannot say anything about the steel used, but the knife works well. I´d say it compares to a Vic maybe liek a Vic 108 GAK to an ICAR GAK or even one of the no-name GAK Knockoffs.

The battery on the camera died (and the spare one was flat, too) so only those 2 pics for now, I´ll add some more later but wanted to share my find. Maybe not a perfect EDC knife, but a nice conversation starter for SAK collectors, I think.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: "US Army" 93 Alox Knockoff
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 02:23:40 AM
I'd like to see what is stamped on the blade tang. I spent 10 years in the U.S. Army in the combat engineers, and I never saw a knife like that. Saw plenty of the U.SA. marked 'demo' knives that our supply room hand doug like lollypops, but that was  whole different knife made by Camillus.

This looks like a knock off from a very large Asian nation.  :think:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 02:29:16 AM
This is the traditional US Army "demo" knife. This particular one is a Camillus from 1979, by birth year knife. :D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:43:38 AM
This is the traditional US Army "demo" knife. This particular one is a Camillus from 1979, by birth year knife. :D

Yup, that's the one. :tu:

One of these days we'll have to sit down for cold one and I'll tell ya what you could trade that knife for in Saigon in 1968! :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:08:14 AM

Yup, that's the one. :tu:

One of these days we'll have to sit down for cold one and I'll tell ya what you could trade that knife for in Saigon in 1968! :D

:D my uncle was over there in 65, 68, and part of 71 before he lost a leg. 2/7th Cav, a Huey crew chief.  My stepfather was there in 69, an Lt in the Rangers. I've heard stories, but never about bartering with a demo knife.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 05:05:12 AM
I'd like to see what is stamped on the blade tang. I spent 10 years in the U.S. Army in the combat engineers, and I never saw a knife like that. Saw plenty of the U.SA. marked 'demo' knives that our supply room hand doug like lollypops, but that was  whole different knife made by Camillus.

This looks like a knock off from a very large Asian nation.  :think:

Ditto . . .
During a 20 year career I never saw anything in the supply system but the Camillus MIL-K-818, which pales very, very badly by comparison with the Victorinox and Wenger 1961 Soldier's Knife, and the civilian Pioneer. It's why I never had one, even though I could have my supply sergeants get them for free. They looked, felt and handled barely one step above scrap metal compared to a decent pocket knife and have stamped heavy gauge stainless (??) steel scales. Why they're considered so collectible and go for crazy prices now is beyond me. I used a Victorinox Woodsman. The average G.I. didn't need the Camillus either. All the tools for weapon cleaning were in the weapon cleaning kit, and every case of C-rations came with four P-38's taped or lightly glued inside on the bottom of the case (12 meals: one day's rations for four soldiers).

Note:
The Camillus MIL-K with its four blades pre-dates the 1961 Swiss Soldier's Knife by nearly two decades.

John

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:01:00 AM
I am certain this is neither an issued Army knife nor a Prototype of sorts to become one, but only an "Interpretation" of the Soldier/Pioneer from some (I suspect) Asian knifemaker. The blade has Stainless edged on the tang, nothing more.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:16:33 PM
I never saw one of these before.  During my stint, I carried my Huntsman which came in handy a bunch of times.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD