Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your favorite small sized multitool

engblom · 73 · 20943

fi Offline engblom

Your favorite small sized multitool
on: March 13, 2016, 08:03:11 PM
I am daily carrying either Leatherman Squirt ES4 or Gerber Dime. Both got their good and bad sides. I picked these because I very often need pliers, scissors, files, knives and screw drivers. I also want the tool to be as small as possible as it will be in my pocket.

Leatherman Squirt ES4
+ Very good selection of tools and and good design
- Very soft material. Screw drivers (especially the Phillips) degrade very quickly.
- Badly built. From the beginning both my Squirts hardly cut finger nails with the scissors.

Gerber Dime
+ Slightly better material than Squirt
- Bad design. The stupid bottle opener makes the already too short file almost impossible to use. Why not putting the files on the box opener sides and also remove the not necessary bottle opener?

What are your favorite small sized multitools?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:09:54 PM by engblom »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Your favorite small sized multitool
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 08:08:25 PM
For me it is most definitely the Leatherman Style PS. I have been carrying one every single day for probably the last 3 years and I would never leave home without it. The great thing is I never have to as it has no blade so it is not restricted anywhere. I have traveled across the country with only the Style PS at my side. Its been a great companion.
I'm the milk man!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:39:22 PM
Mine has to be the Micra.

Unproportionally strong scissors, capable drivers.

Much slimmer than any other Dime, Squirt, etc. Lighter as well.

The blade is a true slicer, and the finish doesn't get scratched up.

The best LM of all, IMO. But I like my Squirt and Dime as well.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 09:25:35 PM
I would go for the Micras as well. Don't really need scissors but, the long tools and the tool density are hard to beat.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:04:14 PM
I prefer full-size multitools, knives, and SAKs but you've got to hand it to the mini tools when it comes to packing light or as a backup.

Leatherman 6 and Craftsman 4-in-1 "Lucky Clover" for one piece tools.   The Leatherman 6 gets used mostly for its wrenches and is almost always on me, and the "Lucky Clover" always accompanies a pocketknife when I'm not carrying an SAK or multitool with it.    And at $1 and US made, the price can't be beat on the Lucky Clover.

As far as small multitools I own, that would be the Victorinox MiniChamp.  Has everything I need as a backup tool.  Favorite tools on it are the bottle opener/No. 0/1 Phillips driver and the Wharncliffe blade. 

I am looking at the Bear and Son Mini Bear Jaws as my next small multitool, since I prefer pliers to scissors, since the SwissCard that almost always accompanies me when I go out (in my wallet) has them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:05:30 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:01:18 AM
My all time favorite MT is Swiss Tech Utili-Key, which I EDC over 15 years.
It offers a couple basic functions like blade, drivers and cap lifter, weights next to nothing, hides in plain sight, takes up no space.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:13:17 AM
I currently edc a Victorinox Rogue, but the absolute best would be a Vic Drifter (I might mod one soon).

I don't like the SOG Crosscut... strong scissors but poor fit & finish and far too heavy.

For the Gerber Dime I am ambivalent. It has a great design and looks awesome... it also made of recycled bedpans... I have never seen poorer excuse of QC as with Dimes... I had two NIB ones.. one was a nailbreaker with offcenter pliers, the second came in with scratches a a huge welding error on the handle...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 04:29:18 PM
Micra  :tu:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:19:49 AM
Esquire

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 12:04:52 AM
How do you find carrying the Leatherman 6? I'm considering one as a cheaper alternative to the piranha..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 01:10:31 AM
Leatherman P4.  Mine is getting pretty beat up.  I love this thing but truth be told I must pair it with a Classic. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 02:54:12 PM
Definitely the leatherman micra.  The best drivers on a keychain multitool, as others have pointed out great tool density.  Excellent scissors.  Simple but robust design.  Wonderful fit and finish. 

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 03:59:56 AM

Another vote for the Micra. Nicely complements my bigger MT with robust scissors and smaller drivers. I wish they made them in BO to match my other BO tools. I am weird that way.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 02:10:17 PM
How do you find carrying the Leatherman 6? I'm considering one as a cheaper alternative to the piranha..

Screwdriver is one of the worst I've used on a multitool, but it's value is in the SAE wrench set and the tool's overall small size.   It fits in the small front slot of a Wave sheath, a keychain, or in a pocket all equally well.  It works great--in a pinch when you have nothing else that will work better. Last summer, I had a nut that needed replacing on a lawnmower (fell out due to vibration, I think) and the hole was recessed, meaning the 6 inch Crescent wrench I had one me at the time wouldn't fit in there. So, I pulled the 6 out of the Wave sheath I had my first generation Super Tool in, and was able to fix it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:13:45 PM by cody6268 »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 02:15:13 PM
I may have to change my answer. While I do carry my Style PS every single day I have been carrying a Vic Classic every single day as well, but for much longer.

I would be lost without both.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 11:03:05 PM
I would have to say the Swiss+Tech 6in1 Utilikey is probably my favorite small sized multitool simply because it is a constant companion hiding among all my keys.

It doesn't do anything all that great, and the tool does have plenty of limitations. However, I find that what it does do, it does fairly well. Compact size is excellent. A big caveat is how dangerous this tool can be in use. It can be quite easy to cut yourself once the utilikey is folded out. I haven't cut myself yet, but I am extra careful about that aspect. the little Phillips is great at eyeglass repairs.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 05:10:01 AM
For my everyday life I don't often need pliers, scissors or a file but they do come in handy often enough that I prefer to have them with me all the time. Thus my pick and EDC for the last several years is a PS4. That and my four layer SAK mod (Explorer plus with a saw swapped for the scissors) work extremely well together for me.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 02:19:11 PM
I may have to change my answer. While I do carry my Style PS every single day I have been carrying a Vic Classic every single day as well, but for much longer.

Then you keychain carry both or you alternate them?

As a back up of another bigger tool I suppose

Thanks my Captain! :salute:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 02:39:07 PM

Then you keychain carry both or you alternate them?

As a back up of another bigger tool I suppose

Thanks my Captain! :salute:

Keychain carry the Classic (alox minichamp now) and the Style PS just gets dropped into my right front pocket. I carry both everyday. The Style PS has a Uncle Bills sliver gripper attached.

Depending on the day I will sometimes carry a larger tool like my Blast or Fuse (both with locking pocket clips). I have been getting away from sheath carry lately.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:41:12 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline mrog

Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 06:06:13 AM
Victorinox Manager > Any other 58mm Victorinox > Leatherman Micra > Leatherman Squirt PS4

Gerber Dime is garb all the way around. Style PS scissors usually break themselves for no reason.
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 10:44:00 PM
My all time favorite MT is Swiss Tech Utili-Key, which I EDC over 15 years.
It offers a couple basic functions like blade, drivers and cap lifter, weights next to nothing, hides in plain sight, takes up no space.
I would have to say the Swiss+Tech 6in1 Utilikey is probably my favorite small sized multitool simply because it is a constant companion hiding among all my keys.

It doesn't do anything all that great, and the tool does have plenty of limitations. However, I find that what it does do, it does fairly well. Compact size is excellent.
Great minds think alike.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ph Offline Semajmarx007

• Deus Ex Machina
Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 08:14:18 AM
I've been carrying a Vic Manager for close to 9 years now and I've recently attached a Brewzer to it.
Vic plus Brewzer.JPG
* Vic plus Brewzer.JPG (Filesize: 54.02 KB)
vi veri veniversum vivus vici

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 10:48:57 AM
I've been carrying the LM Micra on my keys for more than a year, and it's just great.
Not a scratch on it. Amazing.
the blade is awesome, had to resharpen it a couple of times. Scissors are excellent.

I'm going to get a Vic Signature and try it out, though. I wanted a pen too.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 10:32:01 PM
Jetsetter (with signature scale added) is my favorite, with a recently acquired Style PS running a close second. These are ones I don't have to give up at security. The Jetsetter gets scrutinized so often that I carry the Style when I don't want to be hassled by security (some of them really don't get it  ::)). The iconic and widely recognized 58mm SAK is always a target for them, but the tool selection is better for me than the Style.  :salute:

I don't carry small tools regularly, they are only placeholders for bigger and more capable EDC tools.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 12:31:30 AM

When I go small, my favorite combo is the PS4 + Manager.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 03:34:57 AM
As far as small multitools - I like the  LM Style CS. I don't find the pliers on the Keychain sized tools very useful as pliers, more like the best tweezers ever. So the CS replaces pliers with really good scissors and it has tweezers in the scale so, double win. I also like the lightness and thinness of the Style, it is truly easily forgotten on a keychain.

But I only carry OPTs on my keychain now. Currently the NiteIze Key-looking-thing.

The CS rides in the Skinth with my Wave, now.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline sabesh

Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 10:00:42 PM
Victorinox Manager > Any other 58mm Victorinox > Leatherman Micra > Leatherman Squirt PS4

Gerber Dime is garb all the way around. Style PS scissors usually break themselves for no reason.
I carry a Victorinox Manager too. Fits into the small front pocket on my jeans.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:30 PM
Victorinox rambler for me , a very handy little tool
Weasel

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 12:47:10 PM
I'd have to add these two to the "Favorite" section because I've found they're the ones that get more use on a daily basis.

Dismantled an old PC Hardware tower with them today.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 12:53:04 AM
I have carried a leatherman PS4 at work.  Every day for the last 7 years or so.

Weekends I like to mix it up,  usually something bigger like a wingman or freestyle (today's carry).
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%