Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Orange Dual-Density OH Trekker/Trailmaster NS?

us Offline metasyntax

Orange Dual-Density OH Trekker/Trailmaster NS?
on: April 08, 2016, 03:13:19 PM
I found on eBay this gorgeous orange Dual-Density OHT NS. :drool: I've always bought confidently from this seller, but this knife has me stumped. Is it really an official variation? I searched around some last night and could not find any references to it anywhere. I did find someone with a non-OHO version, but even then I wasn't sure if it was factory or a scale swap. Has anybody seen this variation before? Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:33:44 PM by metasyntax »
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Orange Dual-Density OH Trekker/Trailmaster NS?
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:50:30 PM
This seller often makes unofficial variations by swapping scales. I don't believe this is official.  It's just a Trekker with Hunter/Hiker XT orange dual-density handles.    I usually buy scales, sheaths, and other small parts (toothpicks and tweezers) from him often.   

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 07:10:17 PM
I have a question out to the seller to get some more info. For some reason, I was thinking the DD scales were difficult or impossible to change, but I'm probably wrong about that. :)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:43:33 PM
I just purchased a Hunter XS because it was super-cheap (22 euros) and I couldn't resist the orange.
It's very weird not having the opener layer. But it's such an awesome looking SAK. I'd love to know if I could put these on a Workchamp for example.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 11:24:30 PM
Just received confirmation from the seller than they swapped the scales, so Cody is right. Even if it's not official, that's a great looking knife. DD orange + OHT NS is just about my perfect 111mm. :angel:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 12:05:01 AM
This seller often makes unofficial variations by swapping scales. I don't believe this is official.  It's just a Trekker with Hunter/Hiker XT orange dual-density handles.    I usually buy scales, sheaths, and other small parts (toothpicks and tweezers) from him often.

Yes, I can verify this as I've bought several knives and accessories from him, a couple of which have different scales that Vic has never officially offered them with. There is a demand for some knife model and scales combinations that Vic doesn't sell. It's not unlike some of the variations Swiss Bianco does with his mods.

I have a question out to the seller to get some more info. For some reason, I was thinking the DD scales were difficult or impossible to change, but I'm probably wrong about that. :)

Did a scales change on a Dual Pro X to put dual density OD/black on it. Gave up the T&T as those scales didn't have the slots for them but it's what I wanted to match the GAK, Soldier and Centurion I have. Just as easy as a scales change on any of the other Vic knives and easier than working with the Silver-Tech scales which are temperamental and more easily cracked than solid color or translucent cellidor (e.g. ruby, sapphire, etc.). More like dealing with economy nylon than cellidor, but not exactly the same. Once you have the replacement set in hand you can see where the mounting points are and pop the existing scales off. I've done enough scales changes on 58, 74, 84, 91 and 111 mm Vics now that none of them are difficult once you know where the mounting points are and weak spots in the scales that should not be stressed much when removing or installing them.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 12:25:29 AM
I just purchased a Hunter XS because it was super-cheap (22 euros) and I couldn't resist the orange.
It's very weird not having the opener layer. But it's such an awesome looking SAK. I'd love to know if I could put these on a Workchamp for example.

Work Champ is a slide lock and Hunter XS, as you're undoubtedly aware, is a liner lock. The question would be availability of orange/black dual density slide lock scales that have not only the opening for the slide lock button, but the concealed molding around it on the underside for the button and to contain the spring. Slide lock scales have their own challenges in installing them because of the spring and there are some on line tutorials about how to do it (Google is your friend). Recommend reading and viewing a number of them before removing slide lock scales and not waiting until you want to install the new ones. You don't want to be scouring a room with a magnet looking for a small spring that launched itself.

The alternative is using liner lock scales on a slide lock knife and forgoing having a locking blade. The only slide lock scales I've seen are all single density in solid black, red and OD, and in several camouflage patterns.

John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:45:18 AM by jalind »
John

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 01:39:10 AM
I had an Outrider (for a few days!) that had no lock at all. I was surprised how stable it was; the blade seemed quite usable like that.
The XS is such a gorgeous SAK the chances are I will leave it as it is - but it's good to know I could pull the wonderful orange scales off it if I really wanted to. I've never seen them sold individually.

Anyway - an orange Trekker is an absolute beauty. Surprised Victorinox doesn't make them that way in the factory!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%