Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Wave, Charge TTi, and Charge Al walk into a bar.........

Aloha · 23 · 1973

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I'm guessing the Wave buys the first rounds since its the most affordable tool of the three.  This was the question when I first began to look at these higher end MTs from Leatherman.  Sure Titanium sounds amazing ( it is ) and 154CM blade steel should be easier to sharpen ( it is vs S30V ) but the Wave is cheaper and has the same tool set. 

Y'all know how the story went.  I ended up with a Wave.  I then ended up with many things.  Over the past 5 years I was primarily a Wave enthusiast, still am for the most part.  I've used all the parts of the tool and its never let me down.  I've added the bit cards and bit extender to round out the functionality of the tool and boy does it.  I've also modded a 1/4 adapter to fit the bit holder so I can also use standard 1/4 bits.  I modded a ratcheting thing that worked great but I sent it across the pond. 

So what the point of this  :think:.  This series of tools is great.  All have their merits and choosing one over the others becomes the finer aspects.  The Charge TTi gut hook may really appeal to you and have applications in your life.  Those Cap Crimper pliers also maybe something you really could use.  S30V blade steel is nice and that may well play a part in your decision.  Titanium is fun need I say more?

The Charge Al is a looker.  The 154CM blade is no slouch either.  I like the non CC plier head too. 

I have to also declare I have the ALX and Ti and SLV.  They weren't mentioned in this thread as there are others that include those.

The Wave is minus the "higher" end steels missing the gut hook and scales.  Its a bare boned honest MT.  It does what its supped to do and a lot more for that matter.  No the 420 steel used doesn't suck.  No I haven't had rust issues ( I have several SS versions ).  No the flat bits dont suck.  Again its an honest MT and clearly being LMs biggest seller I am not alone in feeling this way. 

Can it be a one and done tool?  Yes.  You can customize a standard 1/4 bit extender and use any 1/4 bits.  You don't have to buy the bit cards or LM bit extender.  It has scissors, file, saw, and while the micro driver get a ribbing its quite nice.  I have found it helpful on many more than a few occasions, YMMV.

Where was I going?  Oh, ok, which tool is right for you?  Well that cannot be answered by me.  Like I said I have a Wave SS, Wave BO, Charge Ti, Charge Al, Charge ALX, Charge SLV, and Charge TTi.  Anyone could be the "one". 

Oh I also have a highly modded Wave SS.  I have a thread somewhere.  I added the Surge tool exchanger, SAK scissors, and Surge Awl.  Thats a different discussion tho.  You can mod the Wave to suit your liking and needs.  Kam has a sweet one. 

Back to my conclusion.  Get the tool that you want.  I think you'll end up with it anyway so start there.  I am currently carrying my Charge TTi for work and today I have my Charge Al in pocket.  My heavily modded Wave is in my vehicle.       
IMG_3501.JPG
* IMG_3501.JPG (Filesize: 157.03 KB)
IMG_3502.JPG
* IMG_3502.JPG (Filesize: 169.01 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: A Wave, Charge TTi, and Charge Al walk into a bar.........
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:44:35 PM
Nice comparison Aloha    :like: :tu:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:24:29 PM
Nice! I love the Wave.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:33:17 PM
I have debated through the ages about whether to take the plunge and get a Charge :ahhh All the reasons you mentioned above have been weighed back and forth many times :facepalm: I will still probably end up with a Charge or 2 :whistle: but the Wave is an awesome tool  :like: :like:

Great comparison thread and much to contemplate :salute: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:04:00 PM
It really seems to be the debate most have.  Do I spend the extra money?  You've really got to look at your needs then wants.  In terms of performance all three will get the job done.  In terms of fit and finish, well they are pretty much the same.  In terms of materials, you will have to be the judge.  I feel the "higher" end steel are nice but, and this is a big but, are they worth the price?  That is the debate mostly.  I don't have a definitive answer to that.  I can say my frugality led me to get the SS Wave.  I will add that most tools can be had for good prices elsewhere so with some patience and luck you can get the TTi or Al for the cost of a new Wave. 

I like my TTi more than I did.  The CC plier head irked me.  I also never considered carrying my Al as the metal badge that says Leatherman seemed like it was easy to pop off.  Neither have been much of an issue.  I have only carried my Al now for 2 days also.

Get the tool you want.  Thats the right tool for you cause in the end you probably will get it anyway.     
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:31 PM
TTi has ups and downs for me.
Good is that its pliers are the most narrow of them all, but a real downside is that my TTi cannot be used at all because the pliers are stuck more than the handles so using the tool is impossible. :)

Good topic Aloha!!
 :like:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 06:14:09 AM
I have to say that I love my wave too.  I look at other tools but I just can't justify the cost to myself.  At most I might eventually get a surge.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:36:36 AM
Your so right Aloha this is a true bare to the bones honest MT ,I'm not a collector of MT's but my first MT was a wave that my dad got me in 1998,I carried it for years ,then in 2009 I discovered MTO,due to laws etc I sold my wave ,but after the discovery of this forum I got it back,it was a funny situation as it turned out that it was a friend of duncs  :D small world , well I got it back and then decided to send it into LM as was all very loose, well long story it got replaced eventually after I had a long think about it,well since then I've tried pretty much every MT out there ,the list is pretty endless, due to lack of funds I have to swap a MT for another but I've always kept my wave,although due to UK laws it only saw light use and camping trips,well last year I ended up reluctantly selling it ,not a easy desision,but due to Alohas kindness I've now got a wave back and I cant thank him enough  :salute: you don't realise how great a tool is untill it's gone, I've tried spirits,Ti, etc etc but for me the wave is the best, I guess for me it's not just a case of being a good MT but I've history with this tool, I'll take this one to my grave  :salute:  I've added pics of adapters I've made in the past  :tu: Thankyou again Aloha .
2017-07-10 08.25.19.jpg
* 2017-07-10 08.25.19.jpg (Filesize: 388.15 KB)
P1010003-2.jpg
* P1010003-2.jpg (Filesize: 42.96 KB)
P1010001-2.jpg
* P1010001-2.jpg (Filesize: 39.48 KB)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:39:08 AM by Zed »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:37:47 AM
Nicely done mod to those 1/4 in bit holders.  No need to buy the LM bit or extender. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 07:40:13 AM
Nicely done mod to those 1/4 in bit holders.  No need to buy the LM bit or extender.

Exactly mate ,no need to buy extra stuff as can be pretty easily made  :tu: for me this is a stand alone tool but can add extras when needed  :salute:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 08:28:56 AM
Really great insights, Aloha!

When I was deciding whether to get a Wave or Charge, I decided to settle for a Surge. Luckily, fate intervened when I saw an unused TTi selling for the price of a new Wave.

Now I'm a happy TTi owner. Truth be told, I believe I'll be as happy if I have a Wave instead.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:31:31 AM by an0nemus »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:46 PM
Out of all the Wave/Charge family, I much prefer the Wave over the others. It's the slimmest in hand, doesn't have (to me) unnecessary gut hooks and cap crimpers, the 420HC sharpens easily and holds an edge good enough.
I think the Charge AL is the best looking, but aside from that, not only is the Wave the cheapest, but it's also the best tool array, ergonomics and material choices in my opinion.

I have one 25th Anniversary Wave, and one modified with proper screwdrivers.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:33 PM
Out of all the Wave/Charge family, I much prefer the Wave over the others. It's the slimmest in hand, doesn't have (to me) unnecessary gut hooks and cap crimpers, the 420HC sharpens easily and holds an edge good enough.
I think the Charge AL is the best looking, but aside from that, not only is the Wave the cheapest, but it's also the best tool array, ergonomics and material choices in my opinion.

I have one 25th Anniversary Wave, and one modified with proper screwdrivers.

:like:

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 11:10:39 AM
Excellent writing, I enjoyed reading it.

I must admit I have never been a fan of the second generation Wave. Then came the Charge Ti and I was hooked. Same tool layout, but the feeling of Ti is good, very good!!! I agree that the tool layout is excellent, it is my go-to tool for holidaying and "no worries" stuff. These days I baby my first one and recently got some new clothes made by Gohard for it. For me the Ti is the winner, even with the more expensive handles, it just "feels" right.

Some pics of Ti Goodness

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP1064.JPG
* IMGP1064.JPG (Filesize: 117.86 KB)
IMGP3842.JPG
* IMGP3842.JPG (Filesize: 146.27 KB)
IMGP3837.JPG
* IMGP3837.JPG (Filesize: 143.82 KB)
IMGP3838.JPG
* IMGP3838.JPG (Filesize: 157.21 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
Great pics Pete :tu: :like:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 01:16:39 PM
 :like: looks great Pete  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 04:07:34 PM
Great pictures. 

The Ti is nice.  After a few weeks with my new to me TTi and those CC pliers I began to look for one.  I wasn't able to locate one at a price I wanted to pay so back to my SS Wave I went.  It was during that time I would hear and read so much about the Spirit, other tools as well.  I tired them, most of them at least and back to my SS Wave I went.  The job I do doesn't have specific tool needs.  I can honestly get away with any MT.  I think for me its about connection.  Its like many things we decide upon.  I reflected back to when I got my Wingman and Sidekick before I ended up getting my Wave.  There were times I wished I had more tool.  There were times I had to go back to my vehicle to get a tool because the Wingman or Sidekick weren't enough. 

I have an OG Wave and while wonderful it also lacks in what I need.  Great tool for around the house and a day out but not the random things for work.  When we get asked which MT in this series should be bought its really a hard question to answer.  All will do the same work needed.  I know many want the replaceable cutters on this series and I was also in that camp.  I now think it would be a good option but not a great standard feature for every tool in this series.  I would like to see the blade exchanger included in this tool and possibly OHO scissors.  A mini Surge as we call it.  My modded Wave and Kams mini Surge are good prototypes IMO. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 09:08:12 AM
I know I've discovered a new app  :facepalm:
2017-08-04 08.05.36.jpg
* 2017-08-04 08.05.36.jpg (Filesize: 294.46 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:30 PM
Sweet picture. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 04:20:56 PM
Sweet picture.

Thanks mate  :cheers: it is a sexy MT, yes I said it it's sexy  :facepalm:
Painnt_170804145359.jpg
* Painnt_170804145359.jpg (Filesize: 136.44 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 06:15:46 PM
Sweet picture.

:D

Great pic though :salute: :like:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 06:26:31 PM
Sweet picture.

:D

Great pic though :salute: :like:

:cheers: thanks mate  :tu:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 05:41:00 AM
Charge Ti to me is the perfect combination of both worlds. Besides the nice, comfy Ti scales, the Ti model solves one problem the Wave has: rotating pivot screws. I disassembled a few Wave, and would occasionally have the problem with the screw(s) "stick" and rotate when deploying the blades (after reassembling). I used blue locktite.

Plus, the old-style Ti scales are also pleasing to look at. It is a shame LM replaced it with the AL.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%