Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The jobs of a 58mm.

cbl51 · 21 · 2028

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
The jobs of a 58mm.
on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:17 PM
My love of the 58mm SAK is well known, and the classic SD in particular. Of all my pocket knives it seems to be the most used. Maybe because of the small size, and how it's mounted on the keyring in it's own leather pouch type sheath, it's the easiest of the tools to get at. It's become the first line of choice when some small cutting job comes up, or some repair needed a tool that handles the small phillips screws that seem to hold the whole world together these days. From Toasters to washing machines, the phillips screw has become the universal fastener.

This past 5 days, daughter Jessica, grand daughter Briana, and son in law John have been visiting from Mission Viejo California. Now that our new home in Georgetown Texas is in shape to receive visitors, they wanted to visit and see some of Texas. No Probemo.

One time, 7 year old Bree wanted to open a drink, but the pull tab tore off and left a plastic covering on the drink that a straw would not go through. Out came the classic, and neatly sliced open the top. Problem solved. The next day, a small plastic package with two 2016 coin cells needed to be opened. Classic blade did the duty. That night, a new tube of toothpaste needed to be opened, and the plastic film over the opening did not tear off clean. Bree comes over to me and ask's me "Use you're lithe red knife on it" so she could brush her teeth and go to bed.

Texas is known for BBQ, so we picked up a bunch of well done brisket and ribs and went down to the San Gabriel river for a picnic. Of course, all the BBQ sauce was in those little tear open plastic packages that once your fingers get a little damp or slippery from a nice BBQ'd rib, are impossible to open. But the little scissors snip off a corner like a surgeons removal.

Going for a hike around Lake Georgetown was fun on a perfect 73 degree day with sunshine and a light breeze. Daughter Jess stumbles over a rough part of the trail and gets a cactus spine in her shin. No problem, the tweezers on the classic pluck it out nicely.

On the day before they were to leave, it was time for the birthday party for Bree, who was turning 7. We rented a pavilion in the park for a cookout and party for the little kids who were Bree's cousins here in Texas, ranging from 6 to 8. Banners, bright color plastic table cloths, and balloons were used to brighten up the cookout. Trouble was, it was a very windy day, and the Scotch tape the women folk were using was not enough to stand up to the breeze. There was a roll of green color jute twine in the truck, so it was used to tie balloons and table cloths down. The trusty little classic did the job cutting lengths of twine.

After kites were handed out to the kids for fun, and with the days windy conditions they had a ball flying them in the parks open field. The high gusty wind was a bit hard on them, so a few broke and had to be repaired. I used the classic scissors to carefully trim some small bits of duct tape to mend the kites, and it was funny when the now 7 year old Bree asked, "Grandpa, is there anything that you can't fix with that little red knife?"

It's funny, but at 7 years old, the fact that having just a small handy tool has made an impression on a child, and now is part of her happy memories. I hope that she will become a regular SAK carrier like her mom when she gets to the age that she no longer has to worry about school with it's zero tolerance policy on knives. Her mom, our daughter Jessica, became a die hard SAK carrier and to this day has a couple on her. Her pink classic is always in it's keyring sheath so she can't leave the house without it, and a larger SAK is in her purse. But she uses the heck out of her classic.

It looks like Briana is the third generation SAK user in the family.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: The jobs of a 58mm.
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:31:51 PM
:tu: 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 06:33:43 PM
What is great is that you can buy them for a few bucks used.  A lot of functionality and durability for like $5.  No excuse to not have on on the keyring.

I am a hipster though, so I carry a Wenger Esquire instead.  They are vintage.   :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:35:55 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 06:50:51 PM
What is great is that you can buy them for a few bucks used.  A lot of functionality and durability for like $5.  No excuse to not have on on the keyring.

I am a hipster though, so I carry a Wenger Esquire instead.  They are vintage.   :rofl:

Definitely!!

There was a lady who showed up at a local gun show on a regular basis. She had boxes of the things, and a classic in carried but unused condition cost 5 dollars. But… if you bought three or more, the price dropped to 2 dollars apiece. They were all TSA confiscations, and most were in very good condition, just needed a bath in some dish soap and warm water. Most still had the original edge still on there blades. They were carried on keyirngs and not used much, and forgotten about on the way to the airport.

I always bought a handful at every gun show, and sued them as giveaways when some non knife person needed a knife.

I always thought of the little classic as the Giddeon's Bible of knives.  A gateway drug.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:58:03 PM
hate to admit it but those little suckers really have the ability to save one's beehind
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:58:13 PM

Definitely!!

There was a lady who showed up at a local gun show on a regular basis. She had boxes of the things, and a classic in carried but unused condition cost 5 dollars. But… if you bought three or more, the price dropped to 2 dollars apiece. They were all TSA confiscations, and most were in very good condition, just needed a bath in some dish soap and warm water. Most still had the original edge still on there blades. They were carried on keyirngs and not used much, and forgotten about on the way to the airport.

I always bought a handful at every gun show, and sued them as giveaways when some non knife person needed a knife.

I always thought of the little classic as the Giddeon's Bible of knives.  A gateway drug.

So very true.  I love me some 58mms and the Classic couldn't have been named more perfectly.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:51:30 PM
Glad to see you have passed that idea of having a tool or knife for the job onto other generations :tu: My daughter is 7 as well and I try to instill that in her as well.  So far the scissors are her favorite thing on a SAK or a MT :D I have bought her several Classics with different scales, even the pink alox so that they might interest her :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:16:52 PM
 :tu: :tu:
Barry

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:36:51 PM
Great story, Carl! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, my friend  :cheers:

:tu:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:03:04 PM
Great stories and the Classic is very capable if need be.

I like Georgetown, TX. I have been a few times and have great memories there. To bad Dukes BBQ is closed indefinitely.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 11:14:25 PM
Great stories and the Classic is very capable if need be.

I like Georgetown, TX. I have been a few times and have great memories there. To bad Dukes BBQ is closed indefinitely.

Theres still The Pit, on Williams. Tender moist brisket, and ribs you suck the meat off the bones. Down the road 10 minutes in Round Rock, is Rudy's. Great food there too!

us Offline KnifeTex

Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 01:02:20 AM
Awesome story! My 5 year old daughter is eyeing a few of my 58mm models. I'm thinking next year she'll be ready for her own. I live just down the way in RR. Cheers!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 03:35:03 AM
I've really taken to the Wenger 65 mm small knives.  Although they are slightly larger, I'm finding that the Evo I'm packing works for 99 percent of what I need.  I pack an M/T or another SAK most of the time, but most of the business is being done by the Wenger.  When it's not the Wenger, it's my Mighty MiniChamp! 
Barry

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 10:50:51 PM
I have a Alox classic on my keys at the moment on a little metal clip, was in swiss shop today and saw a silvertech classic for....43 euros! And a rambler was 30 euros. Think i may pick up a rambler from amazon.es for 18 euro. I do love the classic though. Use it for all kinds of little jobs since it is on my house keys I can't leave home with out it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

us Offline blarneystone

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 01:29:27 AM
The rambler has to be in contention for the most utility per ounce as any tool there is.

us Offline drew_bl666d

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 04:53:31 AM
I have a few classics, but I really love my Rambler, a tool on my Keychain needs to be able to open beer bottles.  Or the alox mini champ.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 06:14:12 AM
It took me a while to order my first 58mm, but I got there.

Now I have a Classic, Signature, Talisman, Companion, and a Wenger Esquire. And I'd have a MiniChamp if the post hadn't lost it.  :cry:
Excellent little saks.

I've ordered a few more, and will order even more. They're great. Hearing that great snap on such a little tool is very satisfying.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 06:18:09 AM
The rambler has to be in contention for the most utility per ounce as any tool there is.

Yup, great setup. Personally, I am biased towards models that include a pen. So the Manager is up there too.
If a model does not have a pen, as far as I am concerned, it might as well have alox scales and be thinner, with no T&T.

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 12:33:39 PM
Is there a alox rambler? I'm on a money saving mission so gonna try to order off amazon and save 12 euro. My classic actually has just been used to cut the tags off a new sailing jacket. And my friend aske d if i had a phillips screedriver to take the hard drive out of his laptop, i had to walk to the work shop to get one where as if i hd the rambler i think the screwdriver would of fit

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 01:14:21 PM
Is there a alox rambler?

There is an alox rambler. This was mine until the pretty one claimed it. She takes it with everywhere.

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 02:17:46 PM
I rarley use the tweezer and toothpick... i carry a floss pick in my wallet and a pair of the sliver tweezers on my keys.

I tried a minichamp a while back but was too bulky so gave it to my boss

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21